50g Cube Build

Discussion in 'Cube Aquariums' started by TheEngineer, Aug 14, 2015.

1. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

A picture is worth a thousand words, right? Looks like the nitrate dosing is causing algae blooms for me. IMG_1552.JPG

2. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Tank is coming along well. Nice to have a release from work.

TheEngineer likes this.
  3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

Thanks! It's a blessing and a curse to work right next to the tank most days. It makes me obsess about little things more, but I also get hours of enjoyment daily now. I can sit on a call and stare at the tank.

drstratton likes this.
  4. TheEngineer

New DIY I'm working on, UV LED supplementation.

image.jpeg

drstratton likes this.
  5. TheEngineer

drstratton likes this.
  6. drstratton

drstratton Valuable Member

I was hoping you would do that!

kid976 and TheEngineer like this.
  7. brandon4432

brandon4432 Active Member

How much of a difference will that make to coral growth/color? I'm curious because I would like to do the same

8. TheEngineer

Not a clue! :)

Colorwise it seems to give a bit of pop even with my Kessil at 70%. Growth improvement, I couldn't say. I'll let you know in a few months I guess.

9. brandon4432

brandon4432 Active Member

I run my Kessil at 50% max, I'll see how you like your UV mod and if you so maybe I'll replicate it

TheEngineer likes this.
  10. TheEngineer

Temps are holding steady without any additional heatsink on the LED. I'm going to let it run for a few weeks and see if I notice a difference.

11. TheEngineer

Lots of snow today. At least 2' at this point. But the power stayed on :) it's a good day.

drstratton likes this.
  12. TheEngineer

Made it through the storm unphased. PHEW! I played around with my DSLR a bit and snapped some shots with the actinics and UV LED on. No color editing here, just cropping and sharpening.

Alien Acne Zoanthid DSC_1156.jpg

Alien Acne/Green Implosion/Ring of Fire Zoanthids
    DSC_1161.jpg

Gatorade Zoanthid (focus point was off, but the colors were awesome)
    DSC_1162.jpg

caperoffiend and drstratton like this.
  13. KLEMS

KLEMS Member

What UV LED are you using?

14. TheEngineer

It's a 430nm violet. Three on one star. There's a link to the DIY build a few posts up ---^

15. TheEngineer

I'm starting to regret my choice to not have a glass cleaner. Having to put my arm in the tank is getting old.

16. TheEngineer

Picked up a bunch of new corals at the Reef Conservation Society frag swap in Lancaster, PA yesterday. Here's a quick iPhone shot.

From front to back:
    Solar eclipse zoa
    Eagle eye and radioactive dragon eye zoas (I wanted some green for the tank)
    Utter chaos zoa ( so bright I can't get a shot)
    Purple hornet zoa
    Darth maul zoa
    Purple tip hammer (I think it might be a hammer/frog combo actually)
    image.jpeg

drstratton likes this.
  17. drstratton

Very nice! I'm going to a swap next month and I'm hoping to pick up some more new coral!

TheEngineer likes this.
  18. TheEngineer

Best place to get great deals. Vendors and hobbyists alike bring some great stuff at great prices.

19. drstratton

That's what I've heard. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to get some more Zoa's, Blasto's, some Euphyllia and maybe a rock nem or two! Melev will be the guest speaker, I'm looking forward to hear what he has to share.

20. TheEngineer

I stopped by a small shop on Tuesday and wound up leaving with two frags. It was one of those days where I was supposed to be going to the grocery store and came back with corals (and groceries :))

Ignore the one top middle, those are from the last swap. The top right I think is a gold maul. The bottom one I have no clue. It was super bright and it was $10. So it became mine :)

DSC_1182.jpg

drstratton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted