OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It apparently has a name. I however have no idea what it is :) I have an ID thread up, but no takers yet.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got great news yesterday. I mentioned to my favorite LFS a few months ago that I was looking for a few Vanderbilt chromis for my tank. He said he would keep an eye out for them. He got some in yesterday! Woot woot! He said he wants to hold onto them for a while and make sure they're going to survive the trip. Time to get my QT setup up and running!

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look up the chromis, I hadn't heard of them before. Cool fish, I might consider some for my tank as I was wanting a group of fish! Sounds like you've got a great lfs! Are you going to do TTM? I've finally gotten it down pretty good and will do it with all of my fish unless they come in with something like Velvet or Brook. Can't wait to see them, they'll look great in your tank!

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a common fish, but fairly uncommon in the US apparently. They're peaceful and can be kept in groups of 3 or 5. I just have the one 10g tank so I'm going to do the oldschool QT. I'm going to treat prophylactically with prazipro and cupramine as per Humblefish's QT thread. I have a 6 year old clownfish in the DT now and I don't want to risk her getting anything.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my little chromis friends never made it to my house. They stayed at the LFS, he wouldn't let me take them, and weren't eating well. One died yesterday and the other two today. :(

Picked up a Sunny D frag since I was there. He didn't charge me a penny for the fish and said he's going to find another source and try again.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my little chromis friends never made it to my house. They stayed at the LFS, he wouldn't let me take them, and weren't eating well. One died yesterday and the other two today. :(

Picked up a Sunny D frag since I was there. He didn't charge me a penny for the fish and said he's going to find another source and try again.
Sounds like you've got a good lfs.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. I'm looking at this or a red sea reefer. Is it quiet? My concern is the sump? I'm sure the included skimmer is of no use. What skimmer are you using?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Great tank. I'm looking at this or a red sea reefer. Is it quiet? My concern is the sump? I'm sure the included skimmer is of no use. What skimmer are you using?
Thanks. I redid the plumbing to use a herbie drain so it would be quiet. You just hear the normal hum from the return pump and skimmer pump. I use the included skimmer. It works pretty well actually. I have a lightly stocked tank, so I don't really need to run it but it does pull out some dark stuff.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my alkalinity yesterday and noticed it was down at 7 dkh. I'd like it to be at 9 dkh. I did a 10g water change and brought it up to 8.5 dkh. Looks like I'm going to have to do a little dosing between water changes now. I'm not too thrilled about that. I could increase the frequency of my water changes to every 2 weeks instead of every 4, but I'd rather not. It's a hassle for me to make that much water due to my degassing process.

I have Two Little Fishies C-Balance from years ago that I never opened, so I guess I'll see how long that lasts me. I might go the kalk in the ATO route too.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a first for me, I made a short video update of my tank. I just passed the 6 month mark on the tank and thought it would be neat to put a short video together showing where the tank is today. This was shot and edited on my iPhone, so don't expect Oscar quality material. Hope you enjoy!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back