DIY 430nm LED Supplement

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the color on my Kessil A360, but I feel like it could use some more pop. Kessil does have some power down in this range, but not as much as I would like it to. Here is Kessil's representation of the output of the A360WE. Y0u can see there isn't much in the low end around 400nm.
Saltwater_A350_Feature_img04.gif

This chart shows which wavelengths chlorophyll absorbs. Notice they are at around the 430nm mark.
10_09PhotosynthWavelength.jpg

I decided to go the DIY route and make a small add-on for my Kessil that is unobtrusive and blends as much as possible into the existing look. I think what I've come up with is a good start in that direction. I'm still tweaking it, but here's what I have so far.

Equipment:
LEDGroupbuy 3UP Hypverviolt (430nm) LED ($9)
LEDGroupbuy 3UP XT-E 40 Degree Lens ($1.50)
Meanwell LDD-500HW LED Driver ($7.50)
12VDC Switching Power Adapter ($5)
Steel Flat Bar ($6)
Total Cost: $23

Wiring
Wiring up the device is very simple. The 12V power supply hooks up to the input of the Meanwell driver (red and black wires), the output of the Meanwell driver hooks up to the LED board (blue and yellow wires). The driver is controllable with a 10V analog signal (white wire). I plan to wire this up using the Kessil's daisychain output and I'll update when I do. The grey wire runs up to the LED itself for power. This is a 4 conductor wire and I plan on using the yellow and green wires to carry the dimming signal back down. Don't mind the tape, it is just temporarily held together for testing right now.

IMG_1559.JPG

Mounting
I made a very simple mount for the LED using some steel bar from Home Depot. I bent it in a vise and painted it with spray paint. I need to make it one more time and use spray paint for metals, but this works as a mockup. This mounts to the same mounting screw on the center of my Kessil and it brings it down to the same height as the bottom of it.
FullSizeRender.jpg

I mounted the fixture to my Kessil and discovered my mounting hole was off an 1/8", so it sits at an angle right now. In the next version I'll fix that and cut off another 1/4-1/2" of material on the mounting pad to reduce the size of the overall fixture. The wiring is temporary right now and will follow up the mount and run through the one remaining channel in my hanging bracket.
IMG_1560.JPG

First Test
I plugged it in to see how it looks and my corals all immediately started to open. I hope that's a good sign! This first image is with the lens mounted to the LED. Strangely enough, this makes the eye glare 100x worse. You can see in the picture, the light is a bit spotlighted on that top center rock. The color isn't actually pink like this, my iPhone is not happy about this color.
IMG_1557.JPG

In this second picture I removed the lens. You can see the light distribution is a lot better. The glare isn't as bad this way either, although I still think I'll make a little hood out of PVC to hide it.

IMG_1558.JPG

Still more work to do to get this in final form, but I'm going to try running this during the day today to see how it does at heat management. I found some small heatsinks that will fit on the bar if needed and I'll order them today if it gets too hot.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats sweet. I like a purple tank.
I did similar with a 420 t5 in my DT. Working on a similar as yours scheme for the new cube.
Thanks for the tips

You wouldn't by chance know how much light your getting out of the new led.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the Kessil is up, you really can't tell too much of a difference. You can see purple in the shadows and the corals do seem to flouresce a little more. I have no idea how much light these three throw off.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manufacturer says they put out 880-960mW of flux. That's pretty high.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to beat any dead horses. But if your a tech/spectrum guy. You'd love a lux meter.
If you take a lux meter and par meter apart are really the same thing only with finer calibration and a calculator.
What your doing is the future of reef lighting and a lux meter and a spectrometer are 2 super cheap tools for color mixing.
The numbers on the left of each chart can be represented in lux footcandles and lumens(intensities).

Nerd rant done:confused:.

Thanks for the neat DIY tip. Wish I had your mad skills.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to beat any dead horses. But if your a tech/spectrum guy. You'd love a lux meter.
If you take a lux meter and par meter apart are really the same thing only with finer calibration and a calculator.
What your doing is the future of reef lighting and a lux meter and a spectrometer are 2 super cheap tools for color mixing.
The numbers on the left of each chart can be represented in lux footcandles and lumens(intensities).

Nerd rant done:confused:.

Thanks for the neat DIY tip. Wish I had your mad skills.
It would be nice to have the tools, but I'd rather spend that money on the inhabitants :)

As to making them, you guys can do it yourselves. It is really easy. You only need basic tools to do it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$15 for a lux $10 for a spectrometer.
Hard to get xenia for that;)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not waterproof though :( I'm interested in readings underwater not at the surface. The spectrometer would serve the purpose though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

Can we plug this into the spectral controller to get a programmed dim?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil controller? In theory, yes. I plan to use the daisy chain output from the fixture itself.

brandon4432

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil controller? In theory, yes. I plan to use the daisy chain output from the fixture itself.

Can you explain the wiring that would allow the LED to input to the spectral(kessil) controller

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spectral controller outputs two 10V analog dimming signals to the light. One channel is color and the other is intensity. You can pick one of them to control the dimming of the LED driver.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool cant wait to get mine started. Any reason you didnt use an aluminium bracket for heat control? Watch Kessil come out with this accessory now lol.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool cant wait to get mine started. Any reason you didnt use an aluminium bracket for heat control? Watch Kessil come out with this accessory now lol.
Aluminum has much better heat conductivity than steel does, for sure. The amount of material vs the amount of heat to pull out doesn't make much of a difference here. I'm only putting 6W of power out max. After running all day the bar is only warm, so heat seems to transfer well enough. Might add a heatsink for kicks and see the difference.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back