50g fowlr to reef

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 50 gallon fowlr setup. I bought it used as an introduction to keeping salt water. It currently has an algae problem and my skimmer broke so I thought this would be a good time to upgrade it to a reef. The tank currently houses a maroon clowfish pair and a yellow corris wrasse. I don't really want them in the reef setup so I will have to figure something out for them. I have an empty 37g column i could set up for them. This will be a complete redo with new sand and new rock. I haven't really thought about the stock list yet so I'm open for suggestions. I thought about a bunch on nano fish. I'm sure I will need a ton of help while I'm doing this so thank you all in advance for any advice/help you give me. Here is a list of what I have/ordered and what I need. If I forgot anything please tell me.
  • 50g tank-36x18x18-have
  • Need to make or modify a new sump
  • Ordered sca 301 skimmer
  • Have 50 lbs of dry reef saver rock
  • Have wp 25 and wp 40
  • I need lights that are somewhat budget friendly. Any suggestions?
  • 60 lbs of fiji pink sand- will this be enough?
  • Need to get test kit for ca and etc
  • I already have a return pump
  • Have a little fishies phosban reactor for carbon and gfo
Let me know if I forgot anything please, something's I may not have listed. My canopy I have is shallow like 4" tall so I can't have lights that need to be hung way above the tank or I need to build a new canopy. I would also appreciate some suggestions for my current fish. Thanks for looking. I will also attach a picture of my current sad tank.

IMG_20151009_203146.JPG

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer should be here Tuesday and the rest of the rock should be here Thursday. I'm still debating what I should do with my current inhabitants. If I setup the 37 column, I can't spend a whole lot of money on it. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer showed up today. Just waiting on the rest of the rock to show up Thursday. If everything goes to plan I should start breaking down the tank this weekend. Still need some suggestions on a light... I was thinking about 2 ai primes

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest of the rock showed up today, so hopefully I will start breaking down the tank either Sunday or Monday. It currently went through a black out for a few days so a lot of the algae went away. If they're any delays with the breakdown it will be from trying to setup a temp tank for the current inhabitants.

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any lights that would fit under my current canopy and still get a decent light spread?

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use overgrow d120s from eBay you will get a million different opinions but for 80 to 100 I think there great lights

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights will really depend on corals you want to keep. I have not a lot of experience with LEDs, but love the T5 set ups. 18" depth is nice because light will not be an issue on the bottom, but make sure if you do LEDs you do not bake it with light. :)

Those three fish would be nice in the reef, but can understand moving the clowns. They would take over. The yellow coris would be a great and peaceful addition to the reef.

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is not my expertise lol. All the lights i see over tanks have them hanging 1' above the water line, i can't do that with my current canopy. I'm just worried about the spread and spotlighting. I don't think i would run into that problem with T5s though would i? Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably put the yellow coris in there but not the maroon clowns. They're way too possessive of the whole tank. I used to have a 3 striped damsel in there that they almost killed on multiple occasions. But at least i have awhile to decide on lighting since i still have to breakdown the tank, reset it up, and cycle it.

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cardboard replica of my tank with the dimensions and overflow box. I'm going to start working on the aquascape. I will post some pictures of what I come up with. I'll probably post a few of different scapes and would enjoy some feed back. Thanks for looking. Expect pictures soon:)

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my cardboard mock up. Working on aquascape number 1 now.

IMG_20151018_213023_1.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get rid of your live rock?? Or do you still have it? And yes haha, I hate aquascaping. If you still have the other rock and havent sat it out yet use it.

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I still have it. I was hoping for a clean restart and didn't want to use it just in case any mistakes I may have made don't come up in the restart. I may consider using it though. Thank you

brownsalt92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the first one I just bought my dad's 110 and broke all the rock down Friday and today and re aqua scaped today here's some pictures. I think it helped that I was a pretty good artist in highschool. BTW I'm only 22. I'm also buying a 6 bulb t5 set up off eBay for 165 bucks new. Should make my tanks pretty sweet. I have led on my 29 gallon reef but could not find a matching led unit for mine so I'm going to switch to t5

1445228821495.jpg

1445228835410.jpg

1445228848393.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I still have it. I was hoping for a clean restart and didn't want to use it just in case any mistakes I may have made don't come up in the restart. I may consider using it though. Thank you
It will help your tank cycle faster, but on the other hand, any rock you dont want to use I will buy if your willing to sell. All my live rock is from many other systems and all seems to be going well. If you do use it and its still live you should be alright.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that s and should be plenty, I bought fifteen pounds for my 29 biocube and I have a 3 inch sanded=\

OP
OP
Maximizer

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is aquascape number 3. I think this is the one with the most potential. Tank looks good brownsalt. What t5 fixture did you get? I don't really like to shop on eBay lol. Cameronh, I would consider selling but I will probably use all the dry rock and all the live rock I have in the tank right now will probably go into the tank I transfer my current fish too.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the picture at?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back