50g Invert Reef Lagoon

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Recently upgraded from a smaller tank to this 3x2 shallow tank. I could not get rid of the blue/purple tint in the photo but will repost once I figured a better way.

The ideal/aim of this tank is emulate a pristine reef outcrop in shallow lagoon near the shore.

IMG_5972.JPG

Inverts:
1 Green gig anemone
1 Purplish Squamosa
2 Blue Croceas
1 Orange collector urchin
A few snails and cowries

Corals:
1 Pink Alveopora
1 Yellow toadstool
1 Pink/purple leather/carnation

Fish:
2 picasso clowns
1 lawnmover blenny
1 pygmy wrasse
1 four striped damsel

Eventually I imagine the gig and squamosa to grow and take up a significant portion of the tank. However, I still would like to include a couple of hardy sps corals, with the hopes of growing them into larger colonies along with the gig and squamosa.

I prefer to keep hardy sps corals that do not lose tissue at much as a sneeze. Would monti digi fit the bill?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank looks great so far and thanks for sharing it with us, very nice indeed!

And welcome to R2R as well, great to have you with us!

OP
OP
N

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Shaun!

It seems that even with just a single maxspect gyre 250 set to 20% random mode is still too strong of a flow in one direction for the soft corals.

I really want to avoid putting a second one at the front of the peninsula tank, as its going to be really obvious especially my tank is not that big.

Perhaps further lower the gyre to 10%? =/

Mitch's Fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of the this tank. I'm thinking of setting up a shallow lagoon tank after being inspired by snorkeling in Belize. Just as you described, I saw a pristine outcrop of rock not 5 feet from shore that harbored so much life, and I've been captivated by the idea ever since.

Can you share more information on your setup? Like is it a custom or stock tank? And what are you doing in terms of filtration? I'd love to do an AIO but can't seem to find any long, shallow AIO tanks outside of the IM line, and those are a little to "cubey" for my taste.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of the this tank. I'm thinking of setting up a shallow lagoon tank after being inspired by snorkeling in Belize. Just as you described, I saw a pristine outcrop of rock not 5 feet from shore that harbored so much life, and I've been captivated by the idea ever since.

Can you share more information on your setup? Like is it a custom or stock tank? And what are you doing in terms of filtration? I'd love to do an AIO but can't seem to find any long, shallow AIO tanks outside of the IM line, and those are a little to "cubey" for my taste.
jbj 20 frag tanks have curved corners ;)

Mitch's Fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jbj 20 frag tanks have curved corners ;)

Haha, I guess by "cubey" I meant that they are too tall in relation to the depth. I'd want something that is like 18" to 24" wide and like 12" to 16" tall. Oh and pennisula style. I'm not asking too much am I? :)

Mitch's Fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I guess by "cubey" I meant that they are too tall in relation to the depth. I'd want something that is like 18" to 24" wide and like 12" to 16" tall. Oh and pennisula style. I'm not asking too much am I? :)

And now I realize that the IM 25 lagoon is 20" wide and 12" tall -_- Maybe I need to see one in person...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back