50g Oceanic. Back at it after a 12 year break...

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it has been a bit since I last updated my tank diary/build.
I participated in the WWC BlackFriday sale, almost made the whole thing but something came up at home in the last 1.5 hours so I had to log off.
It was a lot of fun, and I grabbed 4 corals.WWC Speckled Leather, Jason Fox John Deere Leptastrea, WWC Nappy Nuts Pavona, Branching Green Star Polyps
They arrived a moment ago and are getting acclimated before submerging in the DT.
Another amazing thing that happened is I received my Secret Santa gift.
This gift, blew me away. I had a really rough day at work, and luckily when I returned home the wife and kids were out doing their thing. I saw the large box on my kitchen table and proceed to open it:
IMG_1979.jpg

So I said, no way. I stood there for a few minutes in disbelief, and actually shed a tear. Then I thought, lets open it to find out:
IMG_1980.jpg

Dear God, the thought of it, it pushed me past myself and I sobbed like a kid for about a good 10-15 seconds.
I did say I had a bad day at work, and things seemed very dark, I wanted to come home and grab a beer and head to bed. This gift was beyond over the top for me. I just cannot get over the thought someone out there said, sure, lets get the one thing on his list that was a pipe dream, and did it.
To say that I am still in shock today would be an understatement.
Thank you Secret Santa. I may be a rough Marine with a cursing mouth, but I have a huge softspot that is usually burried under bravado and BS to not let anyone see that. In this posting I am ripping down that wall, and sincerly saying, Thank you!

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now to post up the tests with the new Checkers!
IMG_1984.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg
IMG_1985.jpg
IMG_1986.jpg

And Nitrate with the RedSea:
IMG_1987.jpg

So if you are on a mobile (really for me later)
SG: 1.022
Alk: 9.1
Calcium: 440
Phosphate: .47
Nitrate: between 2-5

Currently mixing up some higher salinity water for a 4 gallon water change, my goal is to be between 1.025-26.
It will take a few WC, but not an issue.
This made me understand why a couple corals were not looking so hot. The refractometer that I was using calibrated and showed me 1.026 through the window, but clearly was incorrect.

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing Vibrant. Added 10ml to the fuge and will continue until this ulva is decimated.
I looked for a while to find some Money Cowrie’s, but my search was unsuccessful.
I raised the SG to 1.026. I replaced the tip-off water with 1.030 SG water until my values were where I wanted them to reach. Back to standard RODI for now.
Brewing a big water change batch right now, about 26 gallons or so. I really need to make a measuring stick for my 32g Brute to know how much I should pull for the next WC.
Ordered Phosguard and some new filter socks. I want to get this PO4 to at least >.10

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added Phosguard to the sump on Monday. Added a bag of Carbon as well.
Parameters today are:
Salinity: 1.025 (Hanna)
ALK: 9.0 (Hanna)
Calcium: 484(Hanna)
Phosphate:.32(Hanna H1774 ULR)
Nitrate: Between 5-10(RedSea)

Noticed that the Cypahstrea has holes in it. I will try to get a photo of it tomorrow with lights on.

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, tested my parameters again a few moments ago.
SG: 1.025
Alk: 8.4
Phosphate: .31 ( angry face )

stopped when checking Phosphate. Running Phosguard and doing a 22g water changeon Monday should have dropped those rookie numbers.
Next test was to check the phosphate of my RO/DI; that was .03
So, I need a better RO/DI system it appears, along for the raw rock to still mature/leech out its gunk still.
Also while cleaning the sump and skimmer, I dropped the little ceramic needle wheel guide and hear it crack on my floor, so the new one of those is in the mail.

off to check my nitrate now. I will post a FTS when the lights pop on for the day.

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested Nitrate and it was at 2. Super happy with that, now I need to get that phosphate down and I will be really happy.
Added another bag of Phosguard a bit ago and plucked a ton of GHA from the main display. About to go at the plugs and remove the algae there to clean them up and let the Zoa’s get light.
Got some reef creators frag rock holders.
And here is the FTS as of a moment ago:
29268B40-B28B-4097-BE33-F928771872E9.jpeg

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed 4 gallons of water, trying to suck that green slime off the sand.
Salinity: 1.025
Phosphate: .20 -> Making progress!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, ReefPi update:
I was able to build and configure my ReefPi, it is currently bench testing the dosing right now.
IMG_2222.jpg

Here is the Zero underneath of ML Reefkeepings Goby HAT.
The HAT is powered by a 12v wall wart in and the 5v is coming from the same wall wart, but the buck converted above the input to the box steps it to a checked 5v for the board/PI.
The smaller board on the upper right (middle right?) is the ML ReefKeeper Doser controller. I purchased a Jebao 4P slave unit, so that all controls are from within the ReefPi, instead of another uncontrollable stock system.
Calibrated those and they are steady now, 1 second of run time = 1 ml of solution for all 4 dosers.
IMG_2221.jpg

Next part to add to the #reefpi is the ML Reefkeeping PH meter. Love his clean products and amazing response time.

Until later!

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2D0959CC-FBF6-4D43-B044-6F814619B39F.jpeg
I just received my first order from @reefcleaners
Here is my before picture from today(just turned on lighting), about 30 minutes before unleashing my new CUC upon it.
Yep, that Cyano and GHA. I tried vibrant for a few weeks, but I do not like that my shrooms and Duncan did not like that treatment so went with something much more natural in my mind.

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, looks like a few too many snails did not make it.
I have 1of 3 money cowries that made it, which is huge to me. I have wanted one of these guys for a long time.
FA39BF51-D556-4C6F-BCDC-8D3F4370FD99.jpeg

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity:1.025
Alk: 7.3 eek
Phosphate: .15
PH: 8.2
Nitrate between 5-10 on Red Sea

then, performed a 16g water change. Here’s a photo just taken after finishing the WC.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Urtoo

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day off FTS:
IMG_2339.jpg

Changed out the PhosBanx2 bags and the carbon bag.
Added 2 part, 20ml each

Phosphate yesterday was .09, today it was .13
Alk was 8.0 before adding 2 part

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back