$520 for a single polyp?

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In San Diego there’s a shop that sells an acro called “Gods gift” and the guy wants $750 for a frag. God must have grown it himself under those heavenly Lights and had Jesus and Mary dip it for him daily in holy water too!

Best post ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all you guys who regretted not bidding on that single polyp looks like he just posted a 2 polyp on his site for the same price lol

B0441DED-356C-4F71-B74B-960DD47EBE31.png

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything over $5.20 is too much. I've been in this hobby 45 years, have a fish that is 29, and can assure you, it is a waste of money.
So if you bought that fish for 500 dollars 29 years ago would it not be worth it to you? That’s 17.25 a year. To me that’s a deal I will gladly pay for.
I understand and hate the price gouging along with the half a polop sales from this hobby but when you break it down and think about it’s cheaper then a dog long run.

Now if u break it down to a price per year for 30 years(corals can live that long and imagine a 30 year old colony of a jaw dropper) and figure in what you could sell frags of this for long term you end up making money on it.

Is it crazy up front cost heck yeah is it a gamble it will even make it in ur tank heck yea but if everything goes right there is a chance to side hustle your way into a new tank and new gear without charging your fellow reefers an arm and a leg for a polop. Like Mr Bread here

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the uc jawdropper acro how come I never hear it brought up it's the same coral

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tnyr5, exactly! Well put! They are cut small exactly for that reason, that’s why seeing tiny specs with one polyp at the top tilts me the wrong way so much. It’s all part of these guys plans for staying at the top, the price is high just to make the buyer feel like they got something special. I was trying to say something along those lines but my thoughts are scattered, that’s for sure :)

A high price like that would not make me feel special. Lol it would make me feel ripped off.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see everyone arguing about price. I think the bigger issue here is that Cornbred was selling a corallite. Not even a frag. A SINGLE CORALLITE. I mean the chance it dies in shipping or gets lost in your tank is so great, I don't see why you would buy such a thing. Pay for an actual frag if you really want it.

I want to know how he cut a nub like that off and was able to glue it down. Incredible.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see everyone arguing about price. I think the bigger issue here is that Cornbred was selling a corallite. Not even a frag. A SINGLE CORALLITE. I mean the chance it dies in shipping or gets lost in your tank is so great, I don't see why you would buy such a thing. Pay for an actual frag if you really want it.

I want to know how he cut a nub like that off and was able to glue it down. Incredible.
It's funny that you bring this up the first RR jaw-dropper I got from cornbread was losing skin upon arrival and died a few days later but shockingly enough when I contacted cornbread and sent pictures they ended up replacing it. The replacement is doing great it wasn't fully encrusted like the first one it was a fresh cut they let heal for a week and a half but it was much healthier still very happy with my purchase this Coral was on my wish list for a while now

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny that you bring this up the first RR jaw-dropper I got from cornbread was losing skin upon arrival and died a few days later but shockingly enough when I contacted cornbread and sent pictures they ended up replacing it. The replacement is doing great it wasn't fully encrusted like the first one it was a fresh cut they let heal for a week and a half but it was much healthier still very happy with my purchase this Coral was on my wish list for a while now

Was it a single corallite or a real frag?

U

User1

View Badges
People are odd - I must say.

I know a wood worker. Solid craftsman. Made a bench with some engraving to test out the Amazon market place. Product never sold. Views but no takers. He was talking to us over a beer one night saying he couldn't figure out why it wasn't selling when his brother said add a couple zero's to the price. I asked are you serious and the reply was yes, as a heart attack.

Next day he updated the price and it sold in less than an hour. Who would have thought, right? Double the price it must be better. Mind you it was the same product just a higher price. Poof. Sold.

True story. People do the craziest things. Hell - I'm already starting to see this with Ford dealerships and the Mustang GT500. I've been shopping around and the ADM's dealers are asking for are insane especially when the MSRP hasn't even been released :( Yet people will drop down the MSRP + $25K ADM without a blink of the eye...

I'm tapping out. I can't keep up with this hobby or others.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my biggest worry about buying a corallite nub, other than survivability, would be whether it was the actual coral or not. I mean, the argument that it doesn't look like the jawbreaker or jawdropper or whatever could be put on lighting, flow, etc. Meanwhile CB could be selling literally anything that has a similar corallite structure.

I know a wood worker. Solid craftsman. Made a bench with some engraving to test out the Amazon market place. Product never sold. Views but no takers. He was talking to us over a beer one night saying he couldn't figure out why it wasn't selling when his brother said add a couple zero's to the price. I asked are you serious and the reply was yes, as a heart attack.

Next day he updated the price and it sold in less than an hour. Who would have thought, right? Double the price it must be better. Mind you it was the same product just a higher price. Poof. Sold.

True story. People do the craziest things. Hell - I'm already starting to see this with Ford dealerships and the Mustang GT500. I've been shopping around and the ADM's dealers are asking for are insane especially when the MSRP hasn't even been released :( Yet people will drop down the MSRP + $25K ADM without a blink of the eye...

It is crazy. People automatically assume quality when the price is high. It is especially easy when credit is cheap and anyone is able to buy on credit, regardless of past history. It will come back to haunt these institutions though.

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ha! Reminds me of this small earthy grocery store that couldn't sell small potatoes - everyone would take the large ones and the small ones would end up going bad. They put the small ones in a different bin, raised the price and called them "Gourmet" something or other. Then, they sold like crazy.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got two corallites for $520. Now that is a deal :p
No I paid $280 which if you know anything about this Coral is actually a great deal since it's already encrusted and starting new shoots it's called an investment I'll easily make my money back without even having to ship there's two people in town which are already waiting 2 buy a frag for $500 each so yeah great deal;)

U

User1

View Badges
No I paid $280 which if you know anything about this Coral is actually a great deal since it's already encrusted and starting new shoots it's called an investment I'll easily make my money back without even having to ship there's two people in town which are already waiting 2 buy a frag for $500 each so yeah great deal;)

A lot of assumptions. That is if it grows, retains color, and of course time.

I see the direction you are going but this isn't similar to say, well, winning the Ford GT lottery, dropping $475K on the vehicle, resisting the urge to drive it, and then reselling it 2 years later for 1.8 million. I know that I'll get a 200% return on investment. The coral? Depends if the stars align in the hobbyist tank and the hype is real.

Never the less can't knock someone from trying. Nothing but the best to you!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of assumptions. That is if it grows, retains color, and of course time.

I see the direction you are going but this isn't similar to say, well, winning the Ford GT lottery, dropping $475K on the vehicle, resisting the urge to drive it, and then reselling it 2 years later for 1.8 million. I know that I'll get a 200% return on investment. The coral? Depends if the stars align in the hobbyist tank and the hype is real.

Never the less can't knock someone from trying. Nothing but the best to you!
Well considering this coral has fetched 1000 dollar price tag for over six years I think it’s better then the odds of getting a GT40

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back