55 Gallon canister reef tank build

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very curious to see how this goes for you! I have a 90 g that has been cycled for about a month now, my goal is also a mixed reef! I have 2 Marineland magnum 350 canisters, a Coralife 125 skimmer, and a Marineland HOB 400. So far so good! I plan to turn my lights on around Christmas, and start adding corals after new years. Good luck!
This. I hated the canister maintenance, i preferred a wet/dry in my FW days because it was simple to change out the filter pad every 10-14 days. I always feared tearing apart the ol fluval for maintenance because one nicked o-ring was a water leak from hell.
honestly I’d go 2-3 months sometimes before opening the fluval FW . They moved alot of water to!
Very experienced in fresh and a good 2-3 yr reefer and you can run any tank with any filter! Honestly if you know what your doing you don’t need a filter at all ! its just your tank so go with what u know ! Pay attention to tank and it’s residents! And keep learning ! Just take it slow enjoy the process! Do your research and do what you want! Don’t let anything stop u

OP
OP
Canned55

Canned55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I filled the tank and tested the Marineland canister filter for leaks. Low and behold it was just pouring out. So now i am on the market for a new canister filter. Luckily there are some pretty good deals right now, but i am open to any recommendations.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I filled the tank and tested the Marineland canister filter for leaks. Low and behold it was just pouring out. So now i am on the market for a new canister filter. Luckily there are some pretty good deals right now, but i am open to any recommendations.
I don't know about the marineland but with the fluval and eheim canisters, o-ring kits are readily available. Prolly just needs a reseal.

OP
OP
Canned55

Canned55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120G mixed reef. 3 FX6's,(no sponges, filled with LR rubble) HOB skimmer, HOB refugium. Rinse out canisters every 6 months.
IMG_1979 (1).JPG

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
FX6. More than enough and cheap......huge internal volume.

OP
OP
Canned55

Canned55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to not use a canister (for now) and to use a Tidal 75 hang on back filter that I have used on a reef tank in the past. Just to get it off the ground and ease of maintenance.

OP
OP
Canned55

Canned55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some water and dropped in some rocks that i got from an LFS just to try and get the ball rolling. Bought a Chinese hygger pump from Amazon that i am very happy with honestly. Will be adding sand soon. Still trying to decide how i want to light the tank. Thinking AI Blades since it its long and thin, or hanging 2 Orphek lights since i don’t trust AI .-.

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpeg
    IMG_0930.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 64

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using the Fluval 307 Canister. Seems to work well but if I could fit a bigger canister filter in stand I'd go for the FX4 or FX6. May eventually get the FX6 anyways and jut place in on the floor next to tank :face-savoring-food:

OP
OP
Canned55

Canned55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that there has not been an update. No real progress other than I started cycling the tank with some established media/rocks and NiteOut II as well as putting in my pair of clowns to move things along while I decide on a light. I am stuck between the AI Blades and the Orphek OR3 light bars. Since I am on a budget I am considering the OR3 due to the value and the odd shape of the 55 since it is so thin. Does anyone know if 2 OR3 would work for mostly softies and LPS?

OP
OP
Canned55

Canned55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Update**​
I decided to go with the Sicce Whale 500 Canister filter due to some space constraints under the stand of my tank. So far it finishes off the tank with a very sleek look. The primer being at the top of the tank is very useful! I will have some pics coming shortly.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Update**​
I decided to go with the Sicce Whale 500 Canister filter due to some space constraints under the stand of my tank. So far it finishes off the tank with a very sleek look. The primer being at the top of the tank is very useful! I will have some pics coming shortly.
120G mixed reef. 3 FX6's,(no sponges, filled with LR rubble) HOB skimmer, HOB refugium. Rinse out canisters every 6 months.
IMG_1979 (1).JPG
Good deal on the Sicce!

And yes...You can use any type of filter you like. Whatever works. I am running a canister on my 40gB and only clean it every 3 to 4 months....I'm thinking after about 2 years running now, I may not even need it anymore.

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
Canned55

Canned55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1061.jpeg

Lights are up!
I went with Current USA R24 pro lights.
Making a pretty nice low-light area in the center for some of those more sensitive corals. (Ignore the algae. Ive been battling turf algae for months in the tank I moved out of)

IMG_1063.jpeg

There is not a ton of information in the forums on these lights, so I will be doing a review in a few months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back