55 Gallon reef tank stocking ideas

POIUY678

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as the title suggests, I'll be stocking my 55 gallon tank that I'm also planning to turn into a reef tank. Here are my ideas so far, please let me know if there are any problems or improvements, thanks

2 ocerallis clownfish
1 purple firefish
3 pajama cardinal
1 diamond watchman goby
1 longnose hawkfish
1 Carpenter's wrasse
1 Chalk Bass (maybe, if it's not too overstocked, let me know)
1 cleaner shrimp (CUC)
other CUC I haven't decided yet.

The tank will mostly contain Soft corals and LPS corals

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as the title suggests, I'll be stocking my 55 gallon tank that I'm also planning to turn into a reef tank. Here are my ideas so far, please let me know if there are any problems or improvements, thanks

2 ocerallis clownfish
1 purple firefish
3 pajama cardinal
1 diamond watchman goby
1 longnose hawkfish
1 Carpenter's wrasse
1 cleaner shrimp (CUC)

The hawk fish will most likely kill any shrimp you put in the tank. Other than that you should be fine. As long as everyone has hiding spots and space to swim youll be good.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish may kill ornamental shrimp like sexy shrimp. May be fine with cleaner shrimp. Instead of a chalk bass I would get a royal gramma but its up to you.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my diamond watchman goby, so much fun to watch and a great personality. You will need a well established sand bed to meet its nutritional needs. I would wait about 6 months for that to occur before adding it. That being said, mine eats everything I put in like a pig. Pretty sure if I put in a slice of pizza it would eat it. Good luck and nice selection of fish. I agree with Andrea’s Reef about the royal gramma, mine’s color really pops.

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 ocerallis clownfish
1 purple firefish
3 pajama cardinal
1 diamond watchman goby
1 longnose hawkfish
1 Carpenter's wrasse
1 cleaner shrimp (CUC)

I have a 55 and it is stocked similar to this actually. Only difference is instead of the goby I have a blenny, a melanarus wrasse, and a foxface instead of a bass.

My female clown killed the male, no idea why except that they were always fairly even in size.
Purp firefish spends about 80% of the day in a cave.
PJ cardinals are nocturnal, during the day mine literally float in place in one spot.
The rest of my fish have been fantastic. Lawnmower B is very inquisitive, friendly, and a wonderful algae eater. The wrasse and foxface are active and peaceful, they follow each other everywhere hunting pods and algae, respectively.

OP
OP
P

POIUY678

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 and it is stocked similar to this actually. Only difference is instead of the goby I have a blenny, a melanarus wrasse, and a foxface instead of a bass.

My female clown killed the male, no idea why except that they were always fairly even in size.
Purp firefish spends about 80% of the day in a cave.
PJ cardinals are nocturnal, during the day mine literally float in place in one spot.
The rest of my fish have been fantastic. Lawnmower B is very inquisitive, friendly, and a wonderful algae eater. The wrasse and foxface are active and peaceful, they follow each other everywhere hunting pods and algae, respectively.
How many PJ cardinals do you have in your tank?
Doesn't a foxface require a bigger tank size than 55 gallon?

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many PJ cardinals do you have in your tank?
Doesn't a foxface require a bigger tank size than 55 gallon?
I have 3. They don’t school, but they don’t kill each other either so I let them do them.

The foxface is still small, but my view on tank size is that it’s one part a blend of factors that you balance to keep your fish happy. I was *right* on the edge about getting one. 55 isn’t a ton of water, I certainly wouldn’t get a hippo tang for example, but it is 4’ long. It’s plenty of run length to keep a wrasse and one rabbit fish moving around quite vigorously all day. I also have a pretty open aqua scape and a lighter bio load. If he turns into a giant chonker (he might) or displays signs of stress, boredom etc, then “oh no it’s time to upgrade to that Waterbox 104.5”

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back