55 gallon

Dev795

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally starting back and picked up previously owned 55 gallon custom reef tank For a decent price, The previous owner custom build the over flow box and created a Herbie Overflow. Tank was running when i picked it up. After transporting to my house and unloading, getting it back together with some of the live rock and zoa‘s crabs some snails i wanted to keep alive. i cleaned up the salt creep around the external overflow, repainted the back of the tank. I was like awesome i can fill it up finally with the saltwater iv had mixing all day. ONY TO REALIZE THE BULK HEADS AND THE OVERFLOW BOX WERE LEAKING!!! So after scrambling to find my other bulk heads, and to replace the seals, the bulk heads that were on there were cross threaded, had to cut the rings off…NOW the fun part okay, when the overflow box was built, the bulk head was placed inside the small one 1/2 inch overflow inside of the tank, the only way to take that off would be to break the box apart and rebuild it…i of course could not do that. Kept the two bulk heads that were in there, went to the store to buy four extra bulk heads just so i could get the seals from them, replaced the four seals out of the six. Sealed the overflow box with acrylic sealant, and to bed extra safe through some silicone on it bc i just didnt trust it…

welp its now been running for about two weeks, levels have all evened out thee zoa’s are doing great and all the snails and hermits have survived with many new baby snails popping up on the daily. Added a few pieces of rock, looks a little funny but will eventually get the same color as the rest. And have coralline all over it. Happy to be back and have a tank running.

now, i just need to some how get some extra money or find someone nice enough to donate some fish will eventually come, planing to upgrade the tank lights, get a skimmer once i add some fish and upgrade to a DC pump in the future.

picture from the other guy when he had my tank and he has an amazing almost 400 gallon tank in his house that i would love to have one day it was amazing to see.
6C303B26-1807-465F-899F-F67A006F2C8F.jpeg

Now onto how it looks now-
E40E618D-4813-4D11-AFD0-B99408B5F467.jpeg

CE27ACF4-EB87-4ED8-91E3-3E93B534DF80.jpeg

32C5DD64-A9C4-4915-8C5C-B1544CF43BD7.jpeg

Let me know if you have any advise!! I’m always open to new advise, i plan on getting a sand sifting goby to help with the sand thats in it, wanted to play with have established sand from him compared with new sand, i will swap it out if i need too.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally starting back and picked up previously owned 55 gallon custom reef tank For a decent price, The previous owner custom build the over flow box and created a Herbie Overflow. Tank was running when i picked it up. After transporting to my house and unloading, getting it back together with some of the live rock and zoa‘s crabs some snails i wanted to keep alive. i cleaned up the salt creep around the external overflow, repainted the back of the tank. I was like awesome i can fill it up finally with the saltwater iv had mixing all day. ONY TO REALIZE THE BULK HEADS AND THE OVERFLOW BOX WERE LEAKING!!! So after scrambling to find my other bulk heads, and to replace the seals, the bulk heads that were on there were cross threaded, had to cut the rings off…NOW the fun part okay, when the overflow box was built, the bulk head was placed inside the small one 1/2 inch overflow inside of the tank, the only way to take that off would be to break the box apart and rebuild it…i of course could not do that. Kept the two bulk heads that were in there, went to the store to buy four extra bulk heads just so i could get the seals from them, replaced the four seals out of the six. Sealed the overflow box with acrylic sealant, and to bed extra safe through some silicone on it bc i just didnt trust it…

welp its now been running for about two weeks, levels have all evened out thee zoa’s are doing great and all the snails and hermits have survived with many new baby snails popping up on the daily. Added a few pieces of rock, looks a little funny but will eventually get the same color as the rest. And have coralline all over it. Happy to be back and have a tank running.

now, i just need to some how get some extra money or find someone nice enough to donate some fish will eventually come, planing to upgrade the tank lights, get a skimmer once i add some fish and upgrade to a DC pump in the future.

picture from the other guy when he had my tank and he has an amazing almost 400 gallon tank in his house that i would love to have one day it was amazing to see.

Let me know if you have any advise!! I’m always open to new advise, i plan on getting a sand sifting goby to help with the sand thats in it, wanted to play with have established sand from him compared with new sand, i will swap it out if i need too.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice looking tank!!! Seems like you got a good deal on it too!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back