55 or 85 gallon?

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I want corals that I won't kill! So softies, LPSs. I do love acros though and hope to eventually be able to grow those. I was looking at getting a Kessill ap9x. Do you think 1 of those will be enough?
If your going to keep some sps at the top and softies or lps at the bottom the ap9x should work. If your trying to have wall to wall sps then maybe consider a hybrid fixture. Right now my tanks pretty new and I have 3 360x above with plans to add a 4th and maybe a 5th. Even though the corals aren’t super thick. I can see how shadowing is affecting some pieces. I will probably end up with 5 360x and 2 t5 running across the tank. My plan is wall to wall sps. For your setup maybe 2 360x on one of those hybrid fixures may work well.

Tomlagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 85g with sump and stand ,rock and sand will probably top a half- ton. Be sure your floor can support it long-term . My tank is against a load-bearing wall , not mid-span over a joist.

Attachments

• BF0209D1-3DA0-47A5-A40F-AD530C1E0C68.jpeg
    BF0209D1-3DA0-47A5-A40F-AD530C1E0C68.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 25

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The 2 I'm considering are the Cade 600 s2 or the Cade 900 s2. Here is a pic of the 900 (85g)
Screenshot_20211010-233943_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-233943_Chrome.jpg
Hi. I'm looking to upgrade myself. I'm also looking at a Cade 900. It's 3500 as you're aware. I'm also looking at the Innovative Marine 75. It's 1500. Did you look at other tanks? Curious to know why you decided on Cade? I know it has the sump and plumbing but doesn't seem like a 2k difference.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm looking to upgrade myself. I'm also looking at a Cade 900. It's 3500 as you're aware. I'm also looking at the Innovative Marine 75. It's 1500. Did you look at other tanks? Curious to know why you decided on Cade? I know it has the sump and plumbing but doesn't seem like a 2k difference.
I initially wanted a cube aquarium and it was between the Cade and the Red Sea Reefer 200. I researched and found some complaints about the Red Sea tanks failing, but I didn't see any complaints about the Cade. So, I went with the Cade. I hadn't really thought about a bigger, rectangular tank until the cube wasn't available until January. But I guess I'm sold on Cades reputation for quality. Since I'm new to reefing, I wanted an AIO system to keep things less complicated. I did look at the IM tanks, but they didn't have a cube in the size I wanted. They look like quality tanks too.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread! You all gave me a lot to think about and after much deliberation, I've chosen the 85 gallon Cade! I'm very excited and already have a gazillion aquascaping ideas! I appreciate all the helpful and thoughtful comments. I look forward to sharing pics of my build and hope I can help someone else as you all have helped me! ❤

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although only time will tell think you made the right choice. Hope you enjoy your new tank

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread! You all gave me a lot to think about and after much deliberation, I've chosen the 85 gallon Cade! I'm very excited and already have a gazillion aquascaping ideas! I appreciate all the helpful and thoughtful comments. I look forward to sharing pics of my build and hope I can help someone else as you all have helped me! ❤
I think the Cade 900 is an excellent choice. Since you're new to reefing, the fact that it will come shipped already assembled is a huge advantage. I've only been reefing since July and I'm already about to upgrade. :)

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Cade 900 is an excellent choice. Since you're new to reefing, the fact that it will come shipped already assembled is a huge advantage. I've only been reefing since July and I'm already about to upgrade. :)
That's what everyone says! I won't be able to afford to upgrade for awhile, so I hope this holds me over! How big is your tank now?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back