55 or 85 gallon?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So changing more water sounds like more maintenance to me. Or will I have to do fewer water changes in general because the tank will be more stable?

The 55 gallon is 24x24x24. The 85 is 36x24x24. I'm guessing that with the 85, I will need 2 kessils instead of the 1 I was going to get with the 55. Or could I get a 2 ft led light? I'm not sure about water flow, but I'd imagine I'd need more powerheads too.
If you want a tang go with the 85. A bristletooth would be ok in the 85.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 55 gallon bow front in my living room and LOVED IT. Super easy to care for and water changes were easy b/c the volumes were manageable. In a 50 you can also think about a pygmy angel and a fairy wrasse!! I vote 50 gallon b/c I don't see the advantage to a 80 gallon? That is not big enough to really have tangs or much different fish. After my 50 gallon I went to a 180. Now that is a step increase when/if you are ready. The 180 is in the basement... but I tell ya I still miss my 50 gallon in my living room.

What I would think about as you say you are starting this is your quarantine (QT) protocol. Start with success in mind and get a plan for either QT your fish OR buying ONLY from providers who do full QT process.

Good luck!!

Attachments

• coral - tank.jpg
    coral - tank.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 34

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people who have been in the hobby a while always want more. More space, more corals, more (or bigger) fish. Some will also say they wish they had gone with a bigger tank to start — something that I considered a lot before committing to just a 40-gallon tank.

I personally wouldn't want something I didn't like as much, or rushed into. As far as stability goes, yes, more water volume = greater stability, but I see just as many people with big tanks fighting algae blooms as those with mid-sized aquariums.

Do you have the space in your home to mix large portions of water at once? To store the mixing bins? I like that if I need to, I can handle a 50% water change in one Brute can. In the early months of your tank, you may need to do bigger water changes from time to time as parameters swing.

Your corals don't care about size — they need stable parameters, light, and flow. If you were planning on a 55g, you probably weren't planning on a bunch of fish that wouldn't be appropriately sized for your tank.

The voices in the crowd are always going to be loud. :) Just consider what you think will make you happy, what you have the space for, and what you have the energy for. That's what matters. Either way, I think you'll have an awesome tank and I'm excited to see what you do with it!
Aren't you currently getting a bigger tank?

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to really make a go of this, You will regret getting the smaller tank when your corals and fish start to grow. Make your mind up now to do the maintenance and water changes, make a schedule and stick to it. As people have mentioned there is virtually no difference in doing maintenance on an 85 versus a 55. Once you get the hang of it you can knock it out in no time and you will be successful. That will keep you in the hobby. If you’re not willing to do the work then go with the smaller tank that way if you decide to quit you won’t have put as much into it.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think water volume will be really the decision maker here. Like you said the water changes will be 3g more than the smaller tank. Just using a bigger bucket/ can sorts the issue. Salt mixing takes the same time.

the more space in the cupboard to me would make say the bigger is better as my cabinet at the moment is quite full. Anything I do makes me empty almost everything to get access.

but ultimately I think the real difference is maintenance cost which comes from lighting water changes and additives which will be almost double as the biggest cost is lighting.

been said before but I would suggest to go for the one looking nicer in the give space and bigger not necessary the better looking one if the space is tight.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by the way one kessil won’t be enough. What kind of corals do you want?
Initially I want corals that I won't kill! So softies, LPSs. I do love acros though and hope to eventually be able to grow those. I was looking at getting a Kessill ap9x. Do you think 1 of those will be enough?

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g and 1 Kessel ap700 works fine. Maintaince is gonna be there no matter which way you go. Oh and that's a 48x18x21. You're good but if got the cash, build your dream.

Last edited:

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your concern with the space and the tank taking up too much space? Pic of space? I mean it’s gotta look good in the space but that’s just me.

I’ll echo some sentiments shared. I wouldn’t base the decision on water changes and/or maintenance. Nor would I base it on getting something now vs January.

If it looks good and the space supports it, get the 85. If it’s gonna look horrible and sticks out or your bumping into it all the time get the 55.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only 2 cents about why a 85G is "easier" is it's more stable, param swings are less impactful, and more gradual due to the larger water volume.

In terms of maintenance it will be the same. Changing 20G of water vs 30 or 35G is basically the same thing. + 10 minutes? maybe?

Also depending on what you stock and the system you're using WC's can be cut wider apart with a larger system impo.

Cade is also a really nice aquarium system from everyone I've heard who has one.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to stick up for smaller tanks. I started with a 30 gallon long, now I have a 20 gallon cube. Only complaint is I think it's easier to aquascape a long tank.

Instability in small tanks is overblown. All tanks take time to mature, but once they do it's fine. My 20g is plenty stable.

Bigger tank opens up bigger livestock. But everything is bigger and more expensive. Maybe someday I'll get a bigger tank, but the desire to always go bigger isn't as universal as people here make it out to be.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back