55 or 85 gallon?

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dilemma. I ordered a 55 gallon cube tank, but my order has been delayed until January because of shipping issues. But, I have an opportunity to buy an 85 gallon that's available to ship right now. I am a first time reefer, and kind of wanted the 55 because I thought it would be less difficult to maintain, however, I read that that's not necessarily true. So here is my list of pros and cons. I don't think I'm going to be able to automate my maintenance because I have really weak wifi where I live, and it seems most automation is wifi based, so amount of labor is a concern. What do you think I should go with? Is there anything I'm overlooking? TIA!

55 Gallon
Pros: like the look
Smaller = less maintenance?
Fits in the space
Fewer upfront costs (lights, rocks, etc)

Cons: fewer fish/corals
No space in cabinet
Have to wait till January

85 gallon
Pros: more room for fish/corals
Room for equipment in cabinet
Can get now

Cons: more upfront costs
Tight squeeze in the space
More maintenance?
Less attractive shape

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me, why is a bigger tank less maintenance? When I do a water change, I will be having to change out more water, correct?
You will have more stable parameters in general with a larger water volume.

You will need to change more water. What are the dimensions of each tank? How will your lighting and water flow plans need to change with a larger tank?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dilemma. I ordered a 55 gallon cube tank, but my order has been delayed until January because of shipping issues. But, I have an opportunity to buy an 85 gallon that's available to ship right now. I am a first time reefer, and kind of wanted the 55 because I thought it would be less difficult to maintain, however, I read that that's not necessarily true. So here is my list of pros and cons. I don't think I'm going to be able to automate my maintenance because I have really weak wifi where I live, and it seems most automation is wifi based, so amount of labor is a concern. What do you think I should go with? Is there anything I'm overlooking? TIA!

55 Gallon
Pros: like the look
Smaller = less maintenance?
Fits in the space
Fewer upfront costs (lights, rocks, etc)

Cons: fewer fish/corals
No space in cabinet
Have to wait till January

85 gallon
Pros: more room for fish/corals
Room for equipment in cabinet
Can get now

Cons: more upfront costs
Tight squeeze in the space
More maintenance?
Less attractive shape
I personally do not believe you will experience a meaningful difference between the maintenance for a 55 and an 85, except that the 85 will require more RO topoff water.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me, why is a bigger tank less maintenance? When I do a water change, I will be having to change out more water, correct?
55 to 85 is not that much and lighting may be about the same. Whats the deminsions?

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For large tanks you can add a carbon reactor, skimmer plus a fuge with macro algae will do the job nicely. I’m not a fan of doing water changes in huge tanks you can get away with smaller tanks.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will need to change more water. What are the dimensions of each tank? How will your lighting and water flow plans need to change with a larger tank?
So changing more water sounds like more maintenance to me. Or will I have to do fewer water changes in general because the tank will be more stable?

The 55 gallon is 24x24x24. The 85 is 36x24x24. I'm guessing that with the 85, I will need 2 kessils instead of the 1 I was going to get with the 55. Or could I get a 2 ft led light? I'm not sure about water flow, but I'd imagine I'd need more powerheads too.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d agree the maintenance difference will be immaterial, which tank will fit better in your intended aquarium location?

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
85 will be more stable, but your water changes will be a little larger and it will be more expensive. More sand, more rock, more salt, more lighting and equipment. If you are doing manual water changes with a bucket of some kind, you might have to make one additional trip or something.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So changing more water sounds like more maintenance to me. Or will I have to do fewer water changes in general because the tank will be more stable?

The 55 gallon is 24x24x24. The 85 is 36x24x24. I'm guessing that with the 85, I will need 2 kessils instead of the 1 I was going to get with the 55. Or could I get a 2 ft led light? I'm not sure about water flow, but I'd imagine I'd need more powerheads too.
Yes. More light. More flow. The big issue here is the budget for a 3 ft tank is about the same as the four foot tank.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d agree the maintenance difference will be immaterial, which tank will fit better in your intended aquarium location?
The 55 really will fit better giving me more room to access the sump. However, the cabinet has hardly any space for storing anything so I'm concerned about adding things like dosing pumps.

Someone told me cubes over 45 gallons were more prone to blow outs. Have you all heard this?

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference is about three gallons a week if you do 10% water changes .not a big deal. I vote for the 85 gallon tank
It all sounds like a big deal to me, but I've never done this before! I hope the routine quickly becomes no big deal!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is that you plan it out carefully. Making a switch last min is not a good plan. Figure out what the total price difference will need to be. Maybe you can get one of the 700 series kessils for example to avoid two 360 series.

Whatever you do, plan it all out and be realize with the increased equipment needs. If you skimp on equipment you will regret it. After you figure all that out, run the same numbers for a four foot tank.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
85 will be less maintenence. However, it really is just up to what fits for you
I don’t think this is true. There is virtually no difference in the amount of maintenance between a 55 and 85. The only difference I can see, would be that water changes and working in the tank would be easier on the 55. If it were my choice, I’d go with the 85, but I don’t think maintenance would be easier or less on it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back