55g Uniquarium reef

Ccnada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0797.JPG

Here is some current pics. I've had to break up my frogspawn because it was growing into the front.

Before
IMG_9968.JPG

Now
IMG_0737.JPG

Left side
IMG_0738.JPG

Bubble
IMG_0752.JPG

Tank has been set up for about 4 years.
Keeping only 3 fish, 2 clowns and a Tomini Tang.
Refugium
Chiller
Heater
LED lights
Auto top off

Maintenance
-Every other month I fill 2 6g jugs for RO top off.
-Clean front and side viewing areas every other week.

I love how hands off this tank has been...

Thx for looking!

Cedric

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! That's my plan, hands off/out. I love all the softies. If you post a video I'd like to see how much motion is going on!

Fishnerd7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an incredible tank. You restored my hope. I'm a newbie wanting to start saltwater 100 gallon build. I just spent the day reading all the animosity about the new trident controllers and the triton dosing technology. I was slowly losing hope that this is a rich man or womans hobby. I'm hoping you did this with minimal gear. From your list of gear that seems reasonable. Anything else you have that's not listed? Advice too? QT or meticulous care. I appreciate the small stuff too like the fact that you keep your hands out of it as much as possible. Nice job. I have to say that your tank has some species in it that I have never seen before. Incredible.

OP
OP
Ccnada

Ccnada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx guys, I really appreciate the kind words. In the beginning I had a filter sock and a skimmer. Cleaning it was a hastle so I removed both and decided to keep less fish. Water changes started at every other week, then every other month. Now I literally have not changed my water for over 2 yrs.

I did have some corals die, but not due to water quality but to light availability. The stronger corals out grew and robbed the light for the corals below them! About a year ago I had to relocate my bubble because I could not clean the front. Just recently broke up the frog spawn for the same reason.

I just gave my buddy serveral heads of frogspawn and hammers, as well as purple mushrooms and neon green leather.

I do have hair algae in my display, but I dont mind it much because it sways along with my corals.

So the way it sits now, all I do is clean the front, fill my 6g jugs, and occassionally drop a cap full of Kent Marines Reef Essentials. Worst part is cleaning the coraline algae that builds up everywhere in the viewing area.

My refugium is lit with home depot led strips 24/7. I have an algae scrubber in the rear of my tank that I do not maintain. My buddy gave me 2 mangroves thats growing into my canopy.
IMG_0801.JPG

I have a computer fan on my canopy on 24/7.
IMG_0799.JPG

Here is my LED controller and wifi cam so I can see my tank during the day.
IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0783.PNG

Auto top off.
IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

Chiller and additive
IMG_0806.JPG

Thx!

Cedric

Fishnerd7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a newbie question for you, if you have the patience? In your first picture....what am I looking at there? I see the bottles but unsure. Are they to protect the lighting. Also the salt buildup.....(bare with me I'm that new to this)....is that called salt creep? Is it common? How long does that take to form? Do you have to clean it off on occasion? Does that affect anything? Any help much appreciated.
Also love the cooling fan idea. How did you wire that in?

OP
OP
Ccnada

Ccnada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a newbie question for you, if you have the patience? In your first picture....what am I looking at there? I see the bottles but unsure. Are they to protect the lighting. Also the salt buildup.....(bare with me I'm that new to this)....is that called salt creep? Is it common? How long does that take to form? Do you have to clean it off on occasion? Does that affect anything? Any help much appreciated.
Also love the cooling fan idea. How did you wire that in?

No problem! The water bottles are mounted on top of the algae scrubber and it helps keep water in. I also use it to protect the fuge leds.
IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG

Salt creep is common anywhere salt water is flowing. I dont go back there often so it is in need of a wipe down. It takes a few weeks to build up. Just make sure the salt crystals does not fall in your display tank. It will burn/kill your LPS if it sinks down and touches them!

Here is a pic of the back of my tank so you can get an idea of the setup.
IMG_0812.JPG

The cooling fan is rated for normal ac power so it just plugs into the wall.

Fishnerd7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Thanks so much. I'm looking up algae scrubbers now to get some studying in. I know about refugiums but not so clear on scrubbers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back