57 Gallon Rimless Oceanic Illuminata build

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really very nice and your stand is beautiful!! Looking forward to seeing more.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see two varieties of macro as well. My guess is Grape Caulerpa, and, Caulerpa Brachypus. The former has the little balls (be quite Chris) and the latter has the leaves and fine roots. If so, the Brachypus can be invasive, and impossible to remove from rock structures once rooted. Neither are palatable to fish.

Looking awesome!

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Jeff said, the caulerpa is invasive, looks like you had this in the display? Or is it going in the sump? I'd drop it in the sump, if you haven't already :) Looking good, though, glad to see life in there :) Do you know for sure the type of quarantine your fish received? I know I spoke to you about the importance of setting up a QT when you were picking up the tank, but I cannot stress enough the importance of it!! Just be patient and be careful!! You're putting a lot of money and time into this hobby, I would hate to see anything discourage you early on. Some folks buy fish and never have any issues with diseases, but it is very much Russian roulette!! Looking forward to future updates!!

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see two varieties of macro as well. My guess is Grape Caulerpa, and, Caulerpa Brachypus. The former has the little balls (be quite Chris) and the latter has the leaves and fine roots. If so, the Brachypus can be invasive, and impossible to remove from rock structures once rooted. Neither are palatable to fish.

Looking awesome!
You said little balls.....

OP
OP
Leggmantn2015

Leggmantn2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what palatable means?
And yea the seaweed stuff is going in the sump I just have no light down there yet.

And as far a quarantine goes I bought them from the aquarium in knoxville I had to wait them buy as they told me there still In quarantine, and would not sell them to me. So I waited and called untill they were out. And as far as quarantine goes I promise to be more strick in the future i already have a tank for that but i figure im starting out and don't have a huge amount $$ invested in fish and livestock yet so I'm ok with playing, russian rulet TEMPORARLY.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just means nothing will eat it really, which makes them invasive. If they get ahold of the rock, it's rough seas to get it back under control, especially since nothing really eats it. I understand that you are buying inexpensive fish, but even a 5 dollar fish can bring an unwanted disease to the aquarium and you wouldn't have a clue, until your $100 dollar fish got sick and died. Just because a fish "appears" healthy, doesn't mean he isn't carrying a parasite or disease! I'm not familiar with the Aquarium's QT process, but based on their fish prices, I'd assume it has to be thorough! I'm sure you will be fine buddy, just a friendly reminder for the new hobbyist :)

OP
OP
Leggmantn2015

Leggmantn2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do appreciate the advise ALOT I mean it!! Anything I can learn from senior reefers will help out alot. But My wife and I decided were going to keep it cheap when buying fish I doubt I'll be buying any 100$ fish again. Back in the day when I was in to freshwater I bought some pretty expensive fish like freshwater stingrays they were 250$ a peice and some other expensive rare fish. If its one thing I learned everything dies eventually. Whether it lives for 15 years or for a week I prefer to keep the death bill$ cheaper than before. Nothing lasts for ever in this hobby is about living live stock. Eventually everything comes to an end. 5 year hobbie or 40 year hobbie. But so far I love this hobbie and I will do my best to avoid impulse buys and I will try my best to be careful.

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do appreciate the advise ALOT I mean it!! Anything I can learn from senior reefers will help out alot. But My wife and I decided were going to keep it cheap when buying fish I doubt I'll be buying any 100$ fish again. Back in the day when I was in to freshwater I bought some pretty expensive fish like freshwater stingrays they were 250$ a peice and some other expensive rare fish. If its one thing I learned everything dies eventually. Whether it lives for 15 years or for a week I prefer to keep the death bill$ cheaper than before. Nothing lasts for ever in this hobby is about living live stock. Eventually everything comes to an end. 5 year hobbie or 40 year hobbie. But so far I love this hobbie and I will do my best to avoid impulse buys and I will try my best to be careful.
I agree. I don't get the super expensive fish either.

OP
OP
Leggmantn2015

Leggmantn2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160214_181016.jpg
20160214_181025.jpg
20160214_181034.jpg

OP
OP
Leggmantn2015

Leggmantn2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what looks like I have two types of algae? I just got the brs dual reactor up and running will GFO help?

Reeflogic