6 degrees Celsius increase faulty heater

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came from home and noticed my water being whitish. My heater was defect for about a day and has increased my temperature from 26 degrees Celsius to 33 degree Celsius. I know it’s a day because I put the heater in yesterday. The corals are everything aside from happy. What can I expect the damage to be? Some frogspawns, torches, hammers and leather corals. I also have some fish but they seem to be okay. I have done around 2,5% water change with cooler water but figured dipping it back to 26 instantly wouldn’t help.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove and just let it come down by itself. Won't take to long. I'd run some GAC in case of any corals shedding.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove and just let it come down by itself. Won't take to long. I'd run some GAC in case of any corals shedding.
Some indeed did release some slimy white stuff. However I’m pretty paranoid over the fact that it went up this much in 24 hours and is now coming down. Any experience with this and the possible damage? I have a pretty big frag of frogspawn and I would be absolutely triggered if it were to die.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some indeed did release some slimy white stuff. However I’m pretty paranoid over the fact that it went up this much in 24 hours and is now coming down. Any experience with this and the possible damage? I have a pretty big frag of frogspawn and I would be absolutely triggered if it were to die.
My AC went out in summer. Tank went from 77 to 83 degrees and then back down slowly. No negative effect on corals or fish.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using just the heater with built in control? Just asking because I stopped trusting those years ago and switched to external controllers.
The one which I had to clean was external, the one which overheated was one of those that you drop in your aquarium.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very hard to say what will be just fine, what will have minor damage but recoverable, what will have permanent damage, and what won't make it at all. It's amazing how something's can survive extreme events then deteriorate do to something that is a seemingly minor issue.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just came from home and noticed my water being whitish. My heater was defect for about a day and has increased my temperature from 26 degrees Celsius to 33 degree Celsius. I know it’s a day because I put the heater in yesterday. The corals are everything aside from happy. What can I expect the damage to be? Some frogspawns, torches, hammers and leather corals. I also have some fish but they seem to be okay. I have done around 2,5% water change with cooler water but figured dipping it back to 26 instantly wouldn’t help.
you dont mention if you set the heater temp.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont mention if you set the heater temp.
I did set it. It set it to 25 only to have this thing remain on and keep on heating. It has been (in about 2 hours) 24 hours since I fixed the issue and the corals seem still upset. Going to do another small water change when I get home. Hopefully they won’t succumb to this fluctuation

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back