Toxic dinoflagellates

morrisDR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, A few months ago I found out that I have poisonous dinoflagellates. Every morning and night (when the lights came on and off) a lot of corals suddenly closed. And by closed I mean completely withdrawn. In the evening, corals closed faster and further than normal. After a few minutes they opened again... Eventually even Sps corals got stn/rtn. I didn't have any brown deposits anywhere on the gravel or stone... Icp test showed that silicate was very high, while that should cause a diatom rash... And it is actually good against dinos. I didn't know I had dinos at the time. Then I read something about poisonous dinos and increased the temperature + added bacteria. Set the temperature to 27.5 degrees Celsius for 1 whole week. It seemed to work, I saw corals open nicely again, etc. Now a month later, 3 corals are starting to show signs of dinosaurs again.
1 stylopora starts here and there stn
2 hairy mushrooms are getting smaller and smaller, while other mushrooms are open
3 birds nest also here and there
Some corals are also starting close faster at night.
Sometimes a pocciliopora has a very small amount of stn. Water quality is very stable with a kh keeper and testing with salifert every week. I still dose bacteria per week. Do any of you know what I can do? In my country it is really cold nowadays so I can't raise temperature this time.

menoet1us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st you have to identify your dinos.. that needs a cheap microscope..
You can see a mega thread here

Check your no3 and po4
Try to be 10/1

Probably you don't have Amphidinium due to high si. But you won't be sure until you identify them.. if you have dinos that go in the water column at night then with a good uv you ll find your solution.
No water changes
Dose phyto and copepods heavy
And also bacteria microbacter 7 or clean

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back