6 line wrasse bully question

crossroads of sanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I picked up a six line from my LFS a couple weeks ago. I added him to my tank 40 breeder with my two young clownfish last week. I have not physically seen any aggression towards the clownfish from him. But tonight while feeding I noticed that the mocha clownfish (smaller of the clownfish) has some fin nips. My LFS warned me that he could be aggressive towards any fish added after him, but that he should be fine with the clownfish because they are already established. I only planned on 3-4 smaller fish in the 40 gallon because I want to be very cautious about bio load. So my plan was that he would be the last addition. However if he is being aggressive he will be coming out and going back to the LFS. I’m hoping for opinions on whether he is possibly being aggressive? And if so, he is a sly little guy and stays in the crevices of the rock work. How would I catch him safely?
Thanks in advance
Joe

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I picked up a six line from my LFS a couple weeks ago. I added him to my tank 40 breeder with my two young clownfish last week. I have not physically seen any aggression towards the clownfish from him. But tonight while feeding I noticed that the mocha clownfish (smaller of the clownfish) has some fin nips. My LFS warned me that he could be aggressive towards any fish added after him, but that he should be fine with the clownfish because they are already established. I only planned on 3-4 smaller fish in the 40 gallon because I want to be very cautious about bio load. So my plan was that he would be the last addition. However if he is being aggressive he will be coming out and going back to the LFS. I’m hoping for opinions on whether he is possibly being aggressive? And if so, he is a sly little guy and stays in the crevices of the rock work. How would I catch him safely?
Thanks in advance
Joe
They can be monsters I’d always suggest a small halichoeres instead or a pink streak if bare bottomed.
Get a trap. Wrasse are usually quite inquisitive and food motivated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crossroads of sanity

crossroads of sanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look at the larger clown too... often the female will beat up on the male
I did. I spent the morning watching the tank closely. The six line was keeping them apart and in hiding. He also had killed one of my emerald crabs and was harassing my cleaner shrimp. I called my LFS and they gave me a store credit for him. He will be going in their 265 FOWLER display with plenty of fish that are larger than he is. I used the store credit and a little cash to purchase a mandarin. Once the little chubster gets through quarantine I think it’ll be a great addition to the system. He was eating pods within minutes of entering the QT system. Catching the wrasse was a nightmare though, however it gave me the excuse to make some of the scape changes I’ve been putting off. I’m overly happy with the scape now.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can’t be sure but they have a reputation for being little assassins
That is true, but female clowns can harass the male. Especially if you have two young small clowns as you stated, then one will be transitioning to female and trying to establish dominance. I had the same thing with my clown pair and it was really noticeable because I have a longfin clown. It worked out and no issues for the last year and a half.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back