6 line wrasse talk

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 6 line wrasse and I have a pair of clowns would the wrasse be a pain and be rude to my next fish the watchman and pistol pair and coral beauty. I just want to be careful I’ve heard bad news about such a beautiful fish I want to make sure it’s okay.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with them but everything I've read and everyone I've talked to say the six-line should be the last fish. For this very reason I got a Pink Streaked Wrasse instead, looks almost exactly the same but temperament is completely opposite. I'd also add, it's dependent on the individual fish itself too.

OP
OP
Bizzy bee reef

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with them but everything I've read and everyone I've talked to say the six-line should be the last fish. For this very reason I got a Pink Streaked Wrasse instead, looks almost exactly the same but temperament is completely opposite. I'd also add, it's dependent on the individual fish itself too.
Yea I’ve just heard such bad things about them but the one I got he seems to be leaving the clowns alone and minding his own business which is fine I’m just worried when I get more fish that like to hide he will get more aggressive.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
mine just started nipping my duncans recently even when his belly is big and fat 24/7. now trying to get him out. no more for me.

OP
OP
Bizzy bee reef

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine just started nipping my duncans recently even when his belly is big and fat 24/7. now trying to get him out. no more for me.
Oh man. I just got a Duncan he dosent seem to nip at it I’ve seen him maybe nip at it once probably because I just fed and the food got stuck in the Duncan and he stole it but I got 5 new corals when I got my 6 line and the clowns have been in the tank for over a month so we’ll just have to see what’s going to happen.

473D76C3-2C32-492D-A62A-BA538CD8506A.jpeg 1BE27DE6-40B1-496F-AE76-9630065FC63B.jpeg

OP
OP
Bizzy bee reef

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are hit and miss from all my reading.
Had one in my 25 nano cube for 2 years with a pair of clowns with no issues.
Have one in my 45 frag system with a pair of clowns no issues so far.
That makes me feel a lot better thank you I’m just really new to this hobby my parents surprised me with a inovative marine 30L and I have already got coral and two clowns and a 6line and it’s only been set up for about 1.5 months so In my opinion I think I’m doing well so far.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Oh man. I just got a Duncan he dosent seem to nip at it I’ve seen him maybe nip at it once probably because I just fed and the food got stuck in the Duncan and he stole it but I got 5 new corals when I got my 6 line and the clowns have been in the tank for over a month so we’ll just have to see what’s going to happen.

473D76C3-2C32-492D-A62A-BA538CD8506A.jpeg 1BE27DE6-40B1-496F-AE76-9630065FC63B.jpeg
i think its solely dependent on the personality of the fish also. ive owned lots of 6 lines in the pass and each were a little different than the last. the one i have is in a 24G cube with a pair of black picasso clownfish his size. he's been nipping them too and keeping them locked up in a corner while he roams the whole tank. he also hogs all the food from the clowns, steals food out of corals, ect. a $20 fish that is really bothersome and not worth it to me. other people have better luck but I won't risk it. he's getting rehomed as soon as i can catch him.

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine has always been fine, he can get agressive towards other wrasses though

OP
OP
Bizzy bee reef

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think its solely dependent on the personality of the fish also. ive owned lots of 6 lines in the pass and each were a little different than the last. the one i have is in a 24G cube with a pair of black picasso clownfish his size. he's been nipping them too and keeping them locked up in a corner while he roams the whole tank. he also hogs all the food from the clowns, steals food out of corals, ect. a $20 fish that is really bothersome and not worth it to me. other people have better luck but I won't risk it. he's getting rehomed as soon as i can catch him.
Yea personality with these wrasses is crazy you don’t know what your going to get.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Yea personality with these wrasses is crazy you don’t know what your going to get.
yup like stated above, they are very hit and miss. mine when first put in was very docile and behaved very well. in the last couple months, it has established a dominance over my young clown pair (which are the only other fish in the tank) and bullying them around now. $20 fish bullying my $250 pair of clowns? yeah, no, bye felicia....

OP
OP
Bizzy bee reef

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup like stated above, they are very hit and miss. mine when first put in was very docile and behaved very well. in the last couple months, it has established a dominance over my young clown pair (which are the only other fish in the tank) and bullying them around now. $20 fish bullying my $250 pair of clown? yeah, no, bye felicia....
Thank you for the advice. I’ll keep you guys posted

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel a lot better thank you I’m just really new to this hobby my parents surprised me with a inovative marine 30L and I have already got coral and two clowns and a 6line and it’s only been set up for about 1.5 months so In my opinion I think I’m doing well so far.
Keep it well fed and you should be fine. I feed brine and mysis 4 times a day. They grow fast too.
Mine was smaller than the clowns in both tanks which may have helped. Good luck and.........
giphy (1).gif

OP
OP
Bizzy bee reef

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it well fed and you should be fine. I feed brine and mysis 4 times a day. They grow fast too.
Mine was smaller than the clowns in both tanks which may have helped. Good luck and.........
giphy (1).gif
Okay thank you I will up the feeding.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is super passive and doesnt mess with my clown pair or watchman goby. Occasionally he will be mean when I feed the tank but other than that no fighting whatsoever
Granted my clowns are really really mean themselves

OP
OP
Bizzy bee reef

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bizzy, that is the single greatest gif for adding a new fish. I'm dying laughing over here.
Mine is super passive and doesnt mess with my clown pair or watchman goby. Occasionally he will be mean when I feed the tank but other than that no fighting whatsoever
Granted my clowns are really really mean themselves
thanks well now it’s just a waiting game

C959FEAB-54D0-4BCE-BBAA-5E9217EFEB51.gif

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back