OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update on my clown harem for who ever is interested. Tank has been up for about a year and a half and is doing great. I stopped buying nems because mine are getting too large and splitting too much as it is. I even sold 4 locally for a little profit so that was super cool. The tank is gross because i'm lazy but the nems and clowns are all thriving really well. The stupid clowns still wont host but they seem to be warming up to the nems, so i am still hopeful. No aggression issues at all from the clowns so far. I unfortunately lost one when it jumped out of the tank at night. I built myself a little canopy to contain the lights but I didn't seal off the back of it, and one jumped out. Stinks, but I have fixed the problem and it shouldnt happen again.

The only real problem I have had is evident in the pictures. Aptasia are starting to spread and I am not doing enough to combat them. Since my nems are thriving that means aptasia will thrive as well unfortunately. I am going to try getting some peppermint shrimp to help out.

If anyone wants a low maintenance tank a clown harem has been crazy easy. My biggest weapon for stability is my DOS, which does about a 1.5 gallon a day water change. Its the greatest invention since pizza (although I did accidentally leave a tube unhooked and flooded my neighbors condo with used fish water, Oops.)
IMG_0952[1].JPG

My anemone crab is still chillin. I love him.

IMG_0949[1].JPG

IMG_0948[1].JPG

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if you still have this tank up and running and how the clownfish are doing now that they’re adults.

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is still up and running well. I’m down to 7 clowns. One jumped out and I’m not sure what happened to the other 2, I assume they died from aggression but I don’t see much aggression from the bigger clowns so I don’t know

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is still up and running well. I’m down to 7 clowns. One jumped out and I’m not sure what happened to the other 2, I assume they died from aggression but I don’t see much aggression from the bigger clowns so I don’t know
I hope they’re playing in the anemones by now! Glad to hear the tank’s running strong.

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been almost three years an I am getting close to taking my clown harem down. I plan on moving within the next year and moving all those nems and the tank seems hard. Plus I have grown a little bored of the tank tbh. Its still running very well, I have no idea how many nems I have now, I haven't added any in years but they are running out of room. Dealing with some bubble algae. I'm sure I could manually take care of it, but I dont do enough maintenance on the tank for sure. I am down to 5 clowns unfortunately. The female runs a tight ship and a couple of the clowns didn't make it. They finally found the nems though! I am planning on downsizing to a waterbox 20 and taking my female and her mate and giving them their own tank and not filled with so many nems so I can have other coral. I am ready to try different things I think.
IMG_1533.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been almost three years an I am getting close to taking my clown harem down. I plan on moving within the next year and moving all those nems and the tank seems hard. Plus I have grown a little bored of the tank tbh. Its still running very well, I have no idea how many nems I have now, I haven't added any in years but they are running out of room. Dealing with some bubble algae. I'm sure I could manually take care of it, but I dont do enough maintenance on the tank for sure. I am down to 5 clowns unfortunately. The female runs a tight ship and a couple of the clowns didn't make it. They finally found the nems though! I am planning on downsizing to a waterbox 20 and taking my female and her mate and giving them their own tank and not filled with so many nems so I can have other coral. I am ready to try different things I think.
IMG_1533.jpg

Thank you for the update. It’s good information to have that some clowns may be lost over time to aggression. This is what I saw in some other tanks too. I think even BRS ended up with much less then they started.

I like the new plan :) Clown tanks are cool but at the same time you basically stare at the same two things (BTAs and clowns) over the years.

Back