60 cube Stocking

yashmak1802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im relatively new to the hobby and I know this is a redundant topic but I was looking for opinions for my 60 cube (24*24*24). My cycle is almost done and I'm looking to add my first fish. The goal for my stocking is:
2 ocellaris clownfish (already have them in my 10 gallon)
1 royal Gramma bassalet
1 watchman goby
1 Firefish
3-5 chromis
I'm looking for more budget and beginner fish and are reef compatible. I don't know if this is a good stocking chose and would like to know if I should get rid of one or add a different species. Thank you

F7C304B8-1F22-4EA9-9C77-1208126F4373.jpeg

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the stock list seems fine; I wouldn't add too much more off the bat. I would see how your filtration and general maintenance hold your different levels. You could absolutely do some easy starter corals and break into that landscape. One thing that could be cool is doing a pistol shrimp to have a symbiotic relationship with the goby. I would also add a Clean Up Crew (CUC), snails, hermits, etc. Other wise, it seems like you have a nice setup and some room to do some cool things. Maybe you could do a pearly jawfish or something like that, they are pretty cool and not too expensive if I recall.

OP
OP
yashmak1802

yashmak1802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the stock list seems fine; I wouldn't add too much more off the bat. I would see how your filtration and general maintenance hold your different levels. You could absolutely do some easy starter corals and break into that landscape. One thing that could be cool is doing a pistol shrimp to have a symbiotic relationship with the goby. I would also add a Clean Up Crew (CUC), snails, hermits, etc. Other wise, it seems like you have a nice setup and some room to do some cool things. Maybe you could do a pearly jawfish or something like that, they are pretty cool and not too expensive if I recall.
Ok thanks the pearly jawfish does look really good I might consider adding him too. I was going to add fish slow over time since i also have to save up money for them too. I do have a pistol shrimp already in my ten gallon and might also move him so the goby can pair up

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im relatively new to the hobby and I know this is a redundant topic but I was looking for opinions for my 60 cube (24*24*24). My cycle is almost done and I'm looking to add my first fish. The goal for my stocking is:
2 ocellaris clownfish (already have them in my 10 gallon)
1 royal Gramma bassalet
1 watchman goby
1 Firefish
3-5 chromis
I'm looking for more budget and beginner fish and are reef compatible. I don't know if this is a good stocking chose and would like to know if I should get rid of one or add a different species. Thank you
I have a 56 gallon column tank and have an ocellaris, a royal Gramma, a yellow watchman goby and they work nice together. Cardinalfish are nice for the upper third of the tank, a neon cleaner goby can be nice for parasite control and I love barnacle blennies, for big personalities in a pint size body.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never looked in to puffers I thought they weren't reef compatible.
Depends on the species, most tobies which are the smaller puffers tend to be fine with coral. They can be a problem with inverts but not always. Ive kept the whole spectrum of pufferfish from tobies to large porcupines and Ive never had a problem nipping corals or inverts. It all depends on luck. Some dont care, some want to have a buffet

OP
OP
yashmak1802

yashmak1802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species, most tobies which are the smaller puffers tend to be fine with coral. They can be a problem with inverts but not always. Ive kept the whole spectrum of pufferfish from tobies to large porcupines and Ive never had a problem nipping corals or inverts. It all depends on luck. Some dont care, some want to have a buffet

My research has it that most of the "toby" puffers are fine. I have no issue with mine at all.
Ok thanks I’ll take a look

OP
OP
yashmak1802

yashmak1802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to update my current and potential future stocking and get some more opinions
Current:
Firefish
Royal gramma
Want to add:
Clownfish(already have 2 in 10 gallon)
2 cardinal fish Banggai
maybe pearly jawfish
maybe wrasse (suggestions?)

I wanted the blue/green Chromis but heard too many stories of them killing each other. I also wanted to get a coral beauty angel fish but I'm very skeptical as it may nip corals. I really don't know how many would be too much or too little and plus I don't really want to get fish that hide all the time. Would appreciate any help

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can always end up with a renegade but I think what you are considering should be fine. If you are not oppose to having higher nutrients, which can be beneficial to a soft coral tank, that is definitely not too many fish. My 56g has way more fish than that and I do not have nuisance algae issues. My tank is mature however but I think what you are thinking is fine as long as you do your faithful water changes.

You are correct about chromis. They can tend to kill one another. Most Coral Beauties are ok but it is a risk. I like the idea of a jawfish. I, myself have always wanted one because I have heard how entertaining they are. Make sure you have some rubble rock for them to put around their den.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back