60 Gal Cube Noob Build

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't let the cloudiness bother you too much. I hear that bacterial blooms can be a part of the ugly phase and will pass. Fwiw I had a tank that was only up for about 2 months and got cloudy. I didn't know why but WCs didn't help and I ignored it for a few days. It's a fish qt and I had a banggai cardinal with popeye. I dosed the tank with epson salt and the next day the tank was clear. Idk if it was a coincidence or what. But I don't think it would hurt to try. You could ask about it to someone with more experience maybe.

For your next fish I vote for a tailspot blenny or a shrimp goby. Or maybe a banggai cardinal.

Great setup! Keep it up.

/Is your handle in reference to that old movie?

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't let the cloudiness bother you too much. I hear that bacterial blooms can be a part of the ugly phase and will pass. Fwiw I had a tank that was only up for about 2 months and got cloudy. I didn't know why but WCs didn't help and I ignored it for a few days. It's a fish qt and I had a banggai cardinal with popeye. I dosed the tank with epson salt and the next day the tank was clear. Idk if it was a coincidence or what. But I don't think it would hurt to try. You could ask about it to someone with more experience maybe.

For your next fish I vote for a tailspot blenny or a shrimp goby. Or maybe a banggai cardinal.

Great setup! Keep it up.

/Is your handle in reference to that old movie?

Will Definitely look in to it I'm exploring all options.

I like the banggai cardinal but the wife wants some kind of sand sifter. But I'm definitely getting some Benny

Na it's my last name

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Definitely look in to it I'm exploring all options.

I like the banggai cardinal but the wife wants some kind of sand sifter. But I'm definitely getting some Benny

Na it's my last name
Right on. I was planning on getting some sand sifters and even got some pretty fine sand for them but then a video of one dumping loads of sand onto the rockwork and corals scarred me out of it. lol Oh well, I'm sure the wrasse I'm going to get will appriciate the soft sand.

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya for sure I'm looking to wrasses

About to buy and apex for this tank judt to get used to it for my next build.

Either going to buy the apex Jr new or for the classic used

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what happen but some how my ato put about 2 gallons of fresh water in my tank last night I caught it about 12 at night. Check the Salinity and it was at 1.023

I guess I'll let it Evaporate till it gets back to 1.026

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Salinity under control and I add in my cheap o refugium light this will work for now playing on making a big Purchase after the new year apex and probably new refugium light and some other things I need a dang gate Valve
20171207_184436.jpg
20171207_184512.jpg
20171207_184507.jpg
20171207_184446.jpg

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Did you figure out what happened with the ato? You've got a tunze osmolator right?

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Best I could do for now. As far as the ato the only thing I can think what happen I had a bag of carbon in the last over flow of the sump and it Clogged and cause the last chamber to get low[where my ato Sensor is]
And cause it to pump all the freshwater that's the only thing I can think happen. Is working fine now

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Best I could do for now. As far as the ato the only thing I can think what happen I had a bag of carbon in the last over flow of the sump and it Clogged and cause the last chamber to get low[where my ato Sensor is]
And cause it to pump all the freshwater that's the only thing I can think happen. Is working fine now
Scary. I had put a media tray in my return section but had to remove it because ot was floating and turning my ato off.

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got some cheap lights and cheato . Do you wash the cheats out with water before you put it in the tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Did you figure out what happened with the ato? You've got a tunze osmolator right?
I figure it out.....I'm soon stupid the Reserve was to high and it was dripping Constantly in to the sump....I just put up and this Pedestal and didn't think about it....I fixed it now sigh....love and learn

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got some cheap lights and cheato . Do you wash the cheats out with water before you put it in the tank
I would rinse it with tank water to try and flush out any free swimming parasites. I think it's one of those things where you're pretty likely to get some kind of hitchhiker on it. I've been waiting for the "clean chaeto" to be in stock at algae barn.

I figure it out.....I'm soon stupid the Reserve was to high and it was dripping Constantly in to the sump....I just put up and this Pedestal and didn't think about it....I fixed it now sigh....love and learn
That doesn't sound good! lol

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I made some new salt water last night and put it in there for now and seeing if anything comes off

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what I did or didn't do but tank is clearing up ....hope it stays that way

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what I did or didn't do but tank is clearing up ....hope it stays that way
I have been told that bacterial blooms are just a part of the tank maturing. Could have just been that maybe. Not that I have a ton of experience.

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. I'm just happy is starting to go away. I've also been trying to keep my hands out of the water

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some testing today and maybe it can give a hint on the return of the cloudy
20171217_115624.jpg
20171217_120249.jpg
Screenshot_20171217-121255.jpg
Screenshot_20171217-121250.jpg

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ive tried a few things to try and clear up there water and nothing yet. im going to try to turn up that flow also i have 2 more power (eflux) i can add and see if that helps. then im going to try and use carbon or chemi pure. going to see if i can get my hands on a reactor. if that doesnt work then i think im going to do a restart

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, congrats on your build. It's good to see someone who is thinking and trying to problem-solve rather than looking to be spoon-fed answers. I think you're on your way to becoming a darn good reefer.

You don't mention it in your build...is your tank done completely with dry rock?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back