ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Instead of washing 280lbs of sand and probably 200lbs of rock manually we just fill it with rodi water to test leak and break in the new rodi unit and run the power head so it can agitated and clean the sand for us. And in the meantime we can see where the current move the sand and adjust the power head position. Hopefully plumbing will complete this weekend. Now it's just save time to make rodi.

OP
OP
stevenlu

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two days I’m not half way yet. Start plumbing tomorrow!

B66DE662-3F74-4E3F-B4C3-A47E7D4DE289.jpeg

OP
OP
stevenlu

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This scene looks pretty good. Looks like a shot from pirates of the Caribbean! I should throw some dry ice in there and let it fog up!!!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome, I dig the scape too.

I know that you mentioned that Elos had done finite element analysis on the stand, but I would double-ask them to view the results. Doing deflection analysis of those horizontal members and buckling analysis of the verticals with that much weight would be illuminating.

I just ran this analysis for 5000lbs mass and ended up settling on 2"x3" tube for the top ring and 2"x2" vertical supports which resulted in negligible deflection. Your water, plus rock, plus tank, likely weighs closer to 6,000lbs, and then add a 20% safety factor, and I would be concerned with that structure.

Anyhow if they did the analysis they likely saved the model and could provide you screenshots of the deflection with no effort.

I hope that it will all be fine, and I know that Elos knows their stuff, I just want to help ensure your long term success!

OP
OP
stevenlu

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know that you mentioned that Elos had done finite element analysis on the stand, but I would double-ask them to view the results. Doing deflection analysis of those horizontal members and buckling analysis of the verticals with that much weight would be illuminating.

I just ran this analysis for 5000lbs mass and ended up settling on 2"x3" tube for the top ring and 2"x2" vertical supports which resulted in negligible deflection. Your water, plus rock, plus tank, likely weighs closer to 6,000lbs, and then add a 20% safety factor, and I would be concerned with that structure.

Anyhow if they did the analysis they likely saved the model and could provide you screenshots of the deflection with no effort.

I hope that it will all be fine, and I know that Elos knows their stuff, I just want to help ensure your long term success!

I hope everything will be okay.

OP
OP
stevenlu

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

Fish E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize you are still setting up, but what are your initial impressions of the overflows? They are an interesting concept.

OP
OP
stevenlu

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why Elos didn't make the external overflow pipe covers go all the way to the bottom of the tank (so that the hoses are not exposed when viewing the tank). It is a cool concept

Man the more I look at that floating rock structure, it sure looks great, the fish will love that.
Haha I’ll be sure to post fish videos when it’s ready.

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing build and love the dimensions but if this is a once in a lifetime build why didn't you wash the sand? it wouldnt of taken that long and I think you will have issues for months to come with cloudiness whenever you do anything to the sandbed. The overflows are very ugly especially considering this tank has taken a year to build they do spoil the asthetics of such clear glass etc.

will be following the build regardless its amazing. what corals are you going for as you definitely have enough flow and lighting!

Back