60G Cube DIY Stand

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I may have the bug. I had mentioned to a friend I'd like to do a larger cube tank, and he delivered. Found me a 60G cube, with an eShopps overflow installed, Reef Octopus 15A sump, hydor controllable return pump, and a wonky petco stand for $150 - I had to buy it. Now, I really want to replace the stand, (I could use the stand that came with it most likely for a while, but it's going to need replaced for sure - MDF). I have seen previously people building stands out of plywood. I can't really find much on google, so I'm curious if anyone here has built a stand primarily of plywood. I want to use 1/2" plywood (it's gotten so expensive), and provide additional bracing across the bottom of the tank with 2x4's, and vertical supports off of those, and a swinging front door, for essentially an ADA looking stand. I built the stand for my 15G Fusion, and really over did it with 2x4's, and no front door, sheathed it with some wall panelling, and I'm pretty happy with the looks, but not so much the function (didn't think I would want inside the stand as much considering it's an AIO). So....

Is 1/2" plywood structurally strong enough to be used with a 24"x24" cube 60G aquarium, with some additional 2"x4" bracing/supports?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 1/2" plywood structurally strong enough to be used with a 24"x24" cube 60G aquarium, with some additional 2"x4" bracing/supports?

It is, I’ve seen manufacturers trying to save money build them like that. I personally do all my DIY stands based on the picture below. Anything over 4’ typically needs a center brace. 6’+ it’s smart to use 2x6’s for the top wrap to further prevent bowing.

B1547053-049F-49AF-B518-81AA028B0161.jpeg

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is, I’ve seen manufacturers trying to save money build them like that. I personally do all my DIY stands based on the picture below. Anything over 4’ typically needs a center brace. 6’+ it’s smart to use 2x6’s for the top wrap to further prevent bowing.

B1547053-049F-49AF-B518-81AA028B0161.jpeg
If you’re going to use my picture, at least use the correct information. :cool:

You only use the larger boards for the red and yellow pieces. No center brace is needed if using 2X6 for red and yellow 6ft or less span for 150g tanks or if it’s 180, go up to 2X8. Everything else is 2X4.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to use my picture, at least use the correct information. :cool:

You only use the larger boards for the red and yellow pieces. No center brace is needed if using 2X6 for red and yellow 6ft or less span for 150g tanks or if it’s 180, go up to 2X8. Everything else is 2X4.
Baboom ...
I am going to have to make a new stand for my 30" cube as the Glasscages one is enclosed and doesn't allow for the sump I want in it. As it is not long I am pretty sure I don't need to overbuid it and can just get away with 2"x4" construction w/ two vertical boards for each leg. Does that sound accurate?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I may have the bug. I had mentioned to a friend I'd like to do a larger cube tank, and he delivered. Found me a 60G cube, with an eShopps overflow installed, Reef Octopus 15A sump, hydor controllable return pump, and a wonky petco stand for $150 - I had to buy it. Now, I really want to replace the stand, (I could use the stand that came with it most likely for a while, but it's going to need replaced for sure - MDF). I have seen previously people building stands out of plywood. I can't really find much on google, so I'm curious if anyone here has built a stand primarily of plywood. I want to use 1/2" plywood (it's gotten so expensive), and provide additional bracing across the bottom of the tank with 2x4's, and vertical supports off of those, and a swinging front door, for essentially an ADA looking stand. I built the stand for my 15G Fusion, and really over did it with 2x4's, and no front door, sheathed it with some wall panelling, and I'm pretty happy with the looks, but not so much the function (didn't think I would want inside the stand as much considering it's an AIO). So....

That should be plenty strong enough.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Built mine with plywood. You can see build pics in my build thread. No reason you can't build the entire stand with plywood but I would use 3/4 and get marine grade plywood. They use a special glue in marine grade.
1678798638940.png

Here are some other resources:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my entire stand for my 80G cube out of plywood. The original was MDF and just a box. So that is how I made the new one.

3/4" baltic birch. Just seal it well with paint and primer. I forget why my plywood warehouse(yes not lowes or HD, but an actual plywood dealer)said not to use marine grade, but there was a reason not to use marine grade. Ooh after googling I remember now.....

Marine grade is not waterproof, and will still swell and crack like regular ply. It is just held together with waterproof glue. It also means it's the highest quality of plywood. Not worth the extra price for an aquarium stand.

This was before I put the doors on, but you get the idea:
20210519_052531.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back