OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New coral still looking good, picked up a couple other ones, I am really socked now! I ordered a derasa from divers den that will come tomorrow, I moved the gyre up to reduce flow on the bottom, it is 4" so I hope it can take the current!

Did a 40g water change yesterday. I had the water from when I set the tank up, so I figured might as well use it.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9098.JPG

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid ecotech. I had a light break, gave me an error message. So I sent the light in for repair. Just got a call back from them. 1st off they wanted to sell me a gen4 light to use with the power supply for only $450, and went on telling me all the great features it has... I said I wanted them to try and fix the light as I just spent $150 on the gen1 to gen3 upgrade...

She said IF they can do it - $200 bucks for a new board but sometimes that won't fix it.

They told me the error is due to water damage. No way. I don't even know how that could be possible at all. It's only a 24" cube and the lights are right over it, nothing could splash that high...

I am pretty disappointed with ecotech. I will not buy any more of their products.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a 16" and 24" reefbreeders photons to put over the tank. I am going to sell the radions, reef link and mounts.

The v2 photons are nice and I will be able to totally cover the surface of the tank with light to spite ecotech, haha.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having them fix the other radion too. It will have a new board along with the new clusters.

I was planning on asking $500 for the 2 g3's, reeflink, rms arms and the rms rail and rail swivel mounts. They have nearly brand new led clusters. I think that's a price to move them fast. Maybe. Heck the reeflink, mounts, rail and swivels are $360 alone.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well nevermind... they called and said the one can't be repaired. But they would knock $25 off the previous quote for a g4 even though "they are not suppose to do that". No thanks. They are sending it back so someone can at least use the cluster to upgrade to G3 and the case cover and powersupply.

I am just going to give all this radion stuff (mounts, lights, reeflink) to my friend. I don't care about the money, I just want it gone!

The RB shipped today so hopefully I can swap it out by this weekend. $600 for a refurb 16" and a new 24". That will be great coverage for a hair over 600 bucks.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay, both RB lights should be here Saturday. I also ordered a cheap LUX meter, I borrowed my clubs PAR meter before, but it's a bit of a hassle.

Double yay, the v2 photos are 8.5" wide, same as the value fixtures. This is exciting because I know the value fixtures will fit between AI classic rail mounts. This gives tank rim mounting a better look than the stock v2 brackets. I had aluminum strips cut for value fixtures to support them in the AI rails so I can use those, I think!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to see what that magnificent scape looks like grown in.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay, got the AI rails ready and found the aluminum strips I had cut before. Just need lights to come tomorrow and set them right on the supports.

It will not look as pretty but thinking of putting something on the inner aluminum strip so the lights angle inward a little bit.

IMG_9164.JPG

MasterAlgaeGrower

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Just read through all of it. How do you like the vertex skimmer so far? I bought one for the tank I'm setting up but haven't seen or heard many reviews of it.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the skimmer is amazing. Wish had a threaded neck like the more expensive vertex, but for the price I still don't think there is a better skimmer. Heck for twice the price I think other skimmers are just even.

Might have to play with the airflow, but it comes with a screw to reduce air if needed. The thing sucks in crazy amount. I am running sump level low enough that I don't need to reduce the air tho.

IMG_9165.JPG

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the beginnings of another sweet tank. And that discus tank is gorgeous as well. Are you lighting that whole thing with only 2 kessils? And there's no issue with plant growth? I'm debating starting up a relatively small planted freshwater tank and have been debating on what to light it with - like to use LEDs if I can, just to minimize the bulb costs/replacement on it.

Do you have any issues with the anthias sparring for "bedding" positions? I have a group of 5 (2 carberryi and 3 lyretail) that would spar into the dark hours because there wasnt enough coverage for bedding at lights off in my QT, once they went into the DT, the pukani gave them plenty of hiding places, and the sparring ceased. With the looks of the tonga rockwork, I was curious if they were having similar issues, or if they would just break up and settle in the inner structure, even though its still pretty open.

MasterAlgaeGrower

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the skimmer is amazing. Wish had a threaded neck like the more expensive vertex, but for the price I still don't think there is a better skimmer. Heck for twice the price I think other skimmers are just even.

Might have to play with the airflow, but it comes with a screw to reduce air if needed. The thing sucks in crazy amount. I am running sump level low enough that I don't need to reduce the air tho.

IMG_9165.JPG
Thanks for the info. What's the water level in your sump at? I have a trigger systems sump so I can adjust it but also debating on 3D printing a little stand for the skimmer if I need.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the beginnings of another sweet tank. And that discus tank is gorgeous as well. Are you lighting that whole thing with only 2 kessils? And there's no issue with plant growth? I'm debating starting up a relatively small planted freshwater tank and have been debating on what to light it with - like to use LEDs if I can, just to minimize the bulb costs/replacement on it.

Do you have any issues with the anthias sparring for "bedding" positions? I have a group of 5 (2 carberryi and 3 lyretail) that would spar into the dark hours because there wasnt enough coverage for bedding at lights off in my QT, once they went into the DT, the pukani gave them plenty of hiding places, and the sparring ceased. With the looks of the tonga rockwork, I was curious if they were having similar issues, or if they would just break up and settle in the inner structure, even though its still pretty open.

Yep the 6ftx2ft of tank just has the two a160 kessils over it. Seems to be plenty of light, but I don't have any crazy light demanding plants in there. Although I would think 3 kessils and putting them lower would grow anything. I was using a kessil previously over a Refugium growing water lettuce and water hyacinth which are obligate full sun. Of course they were only a couple inches away from the light!

Funny you say that with the bedding, the lyretail doesn't really do it but the dispars do. There seems to be plenty of inner structure for them at the moment because I have not seen them fight for spots, but they definitely go in there at night.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to turn my flow way for it and move the gyre up off the bottom (hope it's worth it) but dare I say I see growth?!?

Got him on 5/20 so this will be 3 weeks soon. It didn't look great until I slacked up the flow. I thought was going to lose it. I'm still not sure, but growth is pretty much the only sign they are doing well.

IMG_9212.JPG
IMG_9213.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back