OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sides of overflow painted. I was trial fitting the radion and realized that I will have to notch the overflow for both tank mounts to fit. No big deal. Means the mount will grab the Plasti dipped ares though so I just did the line a couple inches down below the bulkhead. I think looks good.
IMG_8855.JPG

IMG_8854.JPG

Here is just the test of radions mount, they are sagging because I didn't tighten it all yet.
IMG_8853.JPG

And now filling the display up a bit to start the live rock phosphate removal with lanthium chloride. Still in back room but might as well start. I don't have container to fit the rock that's large enough.

IMG_8856.JPG

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very clever way to do the return :) I think I would run herbie as well for the overflow system

Thanks! I think it should work well. I was happy when I saw on marineland's website that the cube didn't have any tempered glass. I just am not sure if I was the return pipe on the "back" with the rear of the lights, or on the side. I would normally choose the back, but seeing as how I don't really want this tank to have a back, that is to create good viewing from every direction, I might run the return pipe on the side. I am not sure yet. It's harder to create that with tank mounts as they have to mount somewhere, but we will see as it progresses.

Did the 1st dose of lanthanum chloride today, also with the used gyre I "traded" for I replaced the rotors in one of them with the rugged version and ordered a set for the second gyre. So far the new rotors are working well in the tank.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks really good , I love the idea of plastic dip for the paint of choice. This build gets me excited due to the fact that I am planning a 60g cube build as well. I am also planning on buying a Marineland cube as well. I am already planning on using a Synergy Reef Overflow on it ;)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good :) I did a similar overflow setup on my 60 cube, Herbie using the two factory holes, but I went over the top for the return. I must admit, yours is cleaner, but since I started the tank using the durso and return through the bottom, and converted to Herbie later, drilling just wasn't in the cards. Didn't turn out too bad.

ReturnAndLight.jpg

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks really good , I love the idea of plastic dip for the paint of choice. This build gets me excited due to the fact that I am planning a 60g cube build as well. I am also planning on buying a Marineland cube as well. I am already planning on using a Synergy Reef Overflow on it ;)

I hope you make a build thread! I would use the synergy overflow too and just drill more holes, but as the tank came free as part of the trade I want to make the best use out of the corner overflow and bottom drains that I can so that is when I thought up the idea of having it displayed from all 4 sides as a external overflow like I run in my other tanks makes the rear panel not really a choice viewing position. We will see if I can pull it off. I already see a challenge with equipment and fitting in the stand.

Have you started making a gear list yet?

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good :) I did a similar overflow setup on my 60 cube, Herbie using the two factory holes, but I went over the top for the return. I must admit, yours is cleaner, but since I started the tank using the durso and return through the bottom, and converted to Herbie later, drilling just wasn't in the cards. Didn't turn out too bad.

ReturnAndLight.jpg
That's great! Happy to hear it works ok as a herbie. You like it a lot better than the factory setup?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! Happy to hear it works ok as a herbie. You like it a lot better than the factory setup?

This tank is ~8 ft behind me when I'm watching TV. A low noise level is critical. The original durso gurgled and chugged... I did various venting alterations, a reverse durso at the bottom, changed the plumbing around several times, messed with it for months, and then decided to try the Herbie style drain.

Silence.

The pump on my skimmer is now the loudest component of this system, the overflow doesn't even come close.

Make your 'trickle' drain as tall as possible, so that the water falling from the weir to the normal water height in the overflow compartment doesn't make noise. Mine only falls about a half inch from the weir.

Excuse the mess, but here's a view of the underside. Note that my stand has a 'shelf' all the way around the cube, so the return goes through a bulkhead on it's way back, but runs just outside the tank, and over the top rim.

Sump021017.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's you're fault. I've got Huey Lewis and the News on endless repeat running through my head. :mad:

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I really have right now is the following :

2 MP10W
Synergy Ghost Overflow
My custom 29in x 24in x38.5in stand
DIY Triton method designed sump ( baffles from modular marine)
Return pump DC Waveline but thinking of up grading to a (Vectra M1 )
Skimmer ???? Ideas still floating around
Controller most like (GHL)
Lighting ????

Waiting on some more funds possibly income tax lol , finishing up school before I start the full blown build

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck, that is a good list already!

Not too much to report. Rock is still soaking. The gyre I have is loud, I put new rugged rotors in it but dang it makes some noise. Hope it settles down soon. I have another gyre that I might have talked about with those rotors coming soon as well. I can't wait for the parts from ecotech to come so I can upgrade the lights!

Found someone in my local reef club that has a full woodworking shop and can cut the starboard for me this weekend!

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the skimmer! It's so nice for under $200!!

I did quite a bit of research and this bad boy just came out. Pretty much a vertex 130 but space saving. 600 L air draw, titanium screws, sicce pump. Seems like best value on market right now. The air line goes inside the wedge pipe and the silencer fits inside the pipe too. Pretty slick.
IMG_8862.JPG
IMG_8863.JPG

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really liking the star board and rock work. I'm looking forward to the rest of this system.
Thank you!

With the skimmer I can do some more plumbing. I really want to be efficient and use the return pump for gfo and sump circulation instead of more pumps or power heads. This sump is so small it might not have needed it, but still want more water movement in the sump. I got the gfo and recirculation like done! It looks a bit cluttered but not bad in person and can reach the socks in the back with no trouble. Success I think!

IMG_8865.JPG

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my mind. The brs gfo reactor is too hard to service in that small sump. Ordered the small spyglass reactor from avast for the gfo and will ditch the 3/4 circulation and use the 1/2" hard gfo push line and valve for circulation if needed.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starboard cut! Looks good, the water level will be higher still just cycling the rock and ceramic block and adding LaCl to remove phosphates.

IMG_8874.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back