60g Livestock suggestions

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally posted this question on my getting started thread, but for some reason I just get “welcome to r2r” as my replies . Maybe I’ll try it out in a new post haha.

Tank has come along (60g display/ about 70 gallons total volume with sump), not fully cycled yet but hopefully making some progress. I stopped by my LFS today to do some research and scout out some stock prospects. Below is the list I’ve come up with, any suggestions or experience with anything there as always is appreciated. Stay safe!
(These will NOT be added at same time)
1. Pair of Mocha Storm Clowns
2. Lawnmower Blenny
3. Goby/pistol shrimp (fingers crossed they get along so I can reach the kiddos about symbiosis)
4. Royal Gramma
5. Coral Beauty (or lemon peel) kind of stuck in the middle

Standard CUC/1 cleaner shrimp, maybe a serpent star

This tank will probably become a softie/zoa tank with a hammer coral or two

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty will be a safer bet in a reef tank, lemon peels are one of the more well known coral nippers, especially with tasty zoas. Though go for the lemon peel if you feel its worth the risk

U

User1

View Badges
Coral beauty will be a safer bet in a reef tank, lemon peels are one of the more well known coral nippers, especially with tasty zoas. Though go for the lemon peel if you feel its worth the risk

This is the route I followed - not that it matters :D I always read that lemon peels are hit or miss and fall into the coral eating or constant nipping category so I went with the Coral Beauty. Bummer too because the lemon peel is such a beautiful fish. Speed and bright color in a nice form factor package.

My Coral Beauty is amazing but I should note it loves zoa's. I can't keep them although I keep trying by picking up local frags. No go - it thinks they are skittles. Brings his friends over and my Scopas Tang joins in and they are gone in a couple hours. Leaves everything else alone though so can't complain I guess.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also always wanted a dwarf lion, I first saw one about 6yrs ago and that is kind of what made me want to start in salt water. The kids and the wife want lots of color and movement but I may still play around with the idea

U

User1

View Badges
I’ve also always wanted a dwarf lion, I first saw one about 6yrs ago and that is kind of what made me want to start in salt water. The kids and the wife want lots of color and movement but I may still play around with the idea

Well, that will throw a wrench into things but still may be possible. I have personally never owned one because I like lots of smaller fish such as clown gobies or damsels. However, I recall seeing a really pretty 40 breeder that had a Fu Manchu in it along with another. In any case you will want to look at possible the Fu Manchu Lionfish, also known as the Twinspot Lionfish, or Ocellated Lionfish. Maybe start some research on that - i can't really provide any other than it is pretty small and may work based on your stock list.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve definitely looked into both for quite awhile and they seem to be fairly safe tank mates as long as they are kept well fed, I would assume to add the lion last so it can’t establish it’s lair to early on against any potential snacks. I’ll definitely have to think about it and see how the rest of the livestock does first

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
download (2).jpeg

If you want something predatory, you could look into these bandtail waspfish as a lionfish replacement. Ive never kept one, but im on the lookout for some. They stay small, so wont be a risk to most fish, apart from tiny goby types

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, Ive kept a fuzzy dwarf in a tank full of small fish, and two cleaner shrimp, and nothing got eaten. If memory serves me the fish in that tank were 2 ocellaris, 1 maroon, 3 chromis, a flame angel, a coral beauty, a fire fish, a royal gramma, a lawnmower blenny, a hippo, powder blue, 2 cleaner shrimp, a mandarin, a snowflake eel and the fuzzy dwarf not counting the clean up crew. They can be trained to wait for you to feed them (just keep them well fed).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back