AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60g new stocking ideas:
A. 2 ocellaris clownfish
B. 3 pajama cardinalfish (if small and tank bred)
C. 1 firefish or 2 zebra dartfish or scissortail dartfish or 1 yellow assessor
D. 1 yellow watchman goby or 1 diamond watchman goby (can I do both if added at the same time?)
E. 1 neon goby or 1 Clown goby
F. 1 algae blenny or 1 meiacanthus blenny or 1 bicolor blenny or 1 midas blenny
G. 1 yellow coris wrasse

Alright so it's time I change up my 60g. So currently I have a ternate damsel and a tomato Clown in the tank. I have been thinking of adding a 6 line wrasse for a bit now but instead I will likely rehome the current stock and restart.

I will pick 3 or 4 of the above groupings for a max of about 6 fish. I am leaning towards:
Gobies, meiacanthus blenny, and pajama cardinals.

I have kept clowns and the wrasse before so I will likely avoid them as I am looking for something new.

Any other suggestions/ tips?

Does anyone think the yellow watchman and diamond watchman can be kept together?

Can I group meiacanthus blennies?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fang blennies that I could group?
I am focusing on the 3 pajama cardinals, fang blennies, and the gobies.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60g new stocking ideas:
A. 2 ocellaris clownfish
B. 3 pajama cardinalfish (if small and tank bred)
C. 1 firefish or 2 zebra dartfish or scissortail dartfish or 1 yellow assessor
D. 1 yellow watchman goby or 1 diamond watchman goby (can I do both if added at the same time?)
E. 1 neon goby or 1 Clown goby
F. 1 algae blenny or 1 meiacanthus blenny or 1 bicolor blenny or 1 midas blenny
G. 1 yellow coris wrasse

Alright so it's time I change up my 60g. So currently I have a ternate damsel and a tomato Clown in the tank. I have been thinking of adding a 6 line wrasse for a bit now but instead I will likely rehome the current stock and restart.

I will pick 3 or 4 of the above groupings for a max of about 6 fish. I am leaning towards:
Gobies, meiacanthus blenny, and pajama cardinals.

I have kept clowns and the wrasse before so I will likely avoid them as I am looking for something new.

Any other suggestions/ tips?

Does anyone think the yellow watchman and diamond watchman can be kept together?

Can I group meiacanthus blennies?
What are the dimensions of the tank?
I’m assuming it’s a 2’ cube but I’ll wait until I get a definite answer as to how big the tank is.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will keeping 2 gobies, a firefish, and a blenny lead to extreme fighting? Should I just pick two?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will keeping 2 gobies, a firefish, and a blenny lead to extreme fighting? Should I just pick two?
It really depends what the 2 gobies are as some species are more boisterous than others for example, Cryptocentrus are more boisterous than Stongobiops species will be.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends what the 2 gobies are as some species are more boisterous than others for example, Cryptocentrus are more boisterous than Stongobiops species will be.
Will neon goby, yellow watchman, firefish, and bicolor blenny work in my 60g?

If I swap out the neon goby for a diamond watchman will that lead to issues with the yellow watchman?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will neon goby, yellow watchman, firefish, and bicolor blenny work in my 60g?

If I swap out the neon goby for a diamond watchman will that lead to issues with the yellow watchman?
First off, Diamond ‘Watchman’ Gobies are NOT related to the true watchman gobies of Cryptocentrus, instead they are in the genus Valenciennea.

Valenciennea gobies have their own issues outside of compatibility with other gobies. They truly aren’t good reef candidates. Their diet is the biggest issue with their care.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Diamond ‘Watchman’ Gobies are NOT related to the true watchman gobies of Cryptocentrus, instead they are in the genus Valenciennea.

Valenciennea gobies have their own issues outside of compatibility with other gobies. They truly aren’t good reef candidates. Their diet is the biggest issue with their care.
I had one before for a few years before disease struck the whole tank. I am aware they aren't good reef candidates.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 fish in my 40G tank. 2 firefish, 2 scissortail dartfish, 2 pajama cardinal.
No fighting, except somewhat between the 2 pajama cardinal.
They were the same size when I got them, one grew bigger, and now chase the smaller one. Nothing serious, but it charges toward the small one, small one move out of the way and it stopped for a while. Then it start again.
If you want a group check the scissortail, I read they do better in group.
As that tank would be a peaceful tank, your firefish and scissortail would be out constantly.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 fish in my 40G tank. 2 firefish, 2 scissortail dartfish, 2 pajama cardinal.
No fighting, except somewhat between the 2 pajama cardinal.
They were the same size when I got them, one grew bigger, and now chase the smaller one. Nothing serious, but it charges toward the small one, small one move out of the way and it stopped for a while. Then it start again.
If you want a group check the scissortail, I read they do better in group.
As that tank would be a peaceful tank, your firefish and scissortail would be out constantly.
So the firefish do well as a pair?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do. I have them for about a year. it may depend of the tank size. my tank is 3'x1'. I have lots of hiding places, and macro algae, but they hide in the same place.
In another setting, when I was new to salt water fish, I had 3 of them, and it seemed that 2 of them paired and kind of chase the other out of their previously common hideout. I never saw them fighting, but one was always by himself in the other side of the tank, and was the first of the trio to die.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm often sad to see how many people struggle keeping diamond gobies due to diet. Mine, fortunately, is the chunkiest, most robust fish in my tank, lol. Wish I knew exactly why he does so well in my system so I could share it with the reefing world, because it's not like I have an old mature sandbed by any means (tank is a year old). :grinning-squinting-face:

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm often sad to see how many people struggle keeping diamond gobies due to diet. Mine, fortunately, is the chunkiest, most robust fish in my tank, lol. Wish I knew exactly why he does so well in my system so I could share it with the reefing world, because it's not like I have an old mature sandbed by any means (tank is a year old). :grinning-squinting-face:

Same, my diamond goby thrives in my tank and I don't take any super extra steps feeding-wise. He doesn't love the pellets the clowns get, and much prefers Mysis hour, but also likes other frozen offerings and flakes. The most reef-incompatible part of him IME is that he throws sand on my RFAs and lower zone zoas. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, my diamond goby thrives in my tank and I don't take any super extra steps feeding-wise. He doesn't love the pellets the clowns get, and much prefers Mysis hour, but also likes other frozen offerings and flakes. The most reef-incompatible part of him IME is that he throws sand on my RFAs and lower zone zoas. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Yesssss the sand mess is the worst, lol! I'll deal with it in order to have such a clean sandbed though, haha. Mine is a piggy - he chows down on everything I feed. Probably why he's so thick, lol. I like my fish fat and happy though so it all works out!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pick a dwarf Angel, maybe a pair of a smaller species as your focal point. Sorry you’re talking to an Angel lover. ^^

Coral Beauty
Flame
Multi-Color

Just naming a few. If a small species like one from the subgenus Xiphyoops you could try to do a pair.

Basslets like the Royal Gramma, Black Cap, Swiss Guard, Swales, or on the pricy end a Candy Basslet. Assessor is also a good

Peaceful damsels like an Azure (IMO best option for size, temperament and color in your 60). If Biota has Peacock Damsels again they could be another pretty option.

PJ Cardinals get faded colors and turn ugly once they get older and bigger. Have seen many.

If you do a medium sized dwarf Angel, I would do one in a 60. If a Xiphypops species, I would be tempted to make room for a pair.

If it were left to me, this is how I would stock a 60 with your dimensions:

2 Occy / True Percula Clowns

1 medium or 2 small dwarf angels

1 peaceful damselfish

1 basslet of some kind

1 goby of my choice

1 blenny of my choice

1 wrasse of my choice

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pick a dwarf Angel, maybe a pair of a smaller species as your focal point. Sorry you’re talking to an Angel lover. ^^

Coral Beauty
Flame
Multi-Color

Just naming a few. If a small species like one from the subgenus Xiphyoops you could try to do a pair.

Basslets like the Royal Gramma, Black Cap, Swiss Guard, Swales, or on the pricy end a Candy Basslet. Assessor is also a good

Peaceful damsels like an Azure (IMO best option for size, temperament and color in your 60). If Biota has Peacock Damsels again they could be another pretty option.

PJ Cardinals get faded colors and turn ugly once they get older and bigger. Have seen many.

If you do a medium sized dwarf Angel, I would do one in a 60. If a Xiphypops species, I would be tempted to make room for a pair.

If it were left to me, this is how I would stock a 60 with your dimensions:

2 Occy / True Percula Clowns

1 medium or 2 small dwarf angels

1 peaceful damselfish

1 basslet of some kind

1 goby of my choice

1 blenny of my choice

1 wrasse of my choice
I forgot about this thread and just posted new one as I finally got the damsels trapped. I think your suggested stocking list is good

Back