65 display stocking ideas I know not original lol

cdems126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 clowns oscellaris (one da Vinci and one flurry), melunarus wrasse, royal gramma, Midas blenny, flame angel. It is a mixed reef. I have a roller mat refugium and protien skimmer in the sump and total water volume is somewhere around 70-71 after rock sand and equipment.
My thoughts are to get a small bristletooth tang like a kole or a white tail( if I can find one), and a Mandarin once my copepod population is at a sustainable level. It’s is totally one of my favorite fish and as long as I have been in this hobby I have never had one. That in total would make 8. I am leaning toward three chromis to round things out but I also am not sure if that is pushing it. I was also thinking about three yellow staghorn damsels but I have no experience with that fish and don’t know if they are peaceful or well damsels lol. I’m open to suggestions.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tang you could try is a Tomini tang, especially since you've already got established livestock. They're pretty chill. 65g should be OK for one.
I'm not a huge fan of chromis at the moment. They seem to really be Uronema laden in the last few years. If I were doing any I'd personally do Chromis cyanea, as I like their electric blue color. Just my 2c!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are to get a small bristletooth tang like a kole or a white tail( if I can find one)
Maybe, depending on dimensions of the tank.
I Mandarin once my copepod population is at a sustainable level.
Should be fine.
I am leaning toward three chromis to round things out but I also am not sure if that is pushing it.
I think most people end up disappointed with chromis, and they end up with 1. Some people do have success. I would QT for a while, and make sure they don't have Uronema.
I was also thinking about three yellow staghorn damsels but I have no experience with that fish and don’t know if they are peaceful or well damsels lol. I’m open to suggestions.
The damsels you should look at are in the genus Chrysiptera, yellow tail/sapphire/talbot etc. Avoid stuff with glyphodon in the name or anything in the domino/3/4 stripe group.

OP
OP
C

cdems126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in the yellow staghorn damsel. I posted a pick of an adult at my lfs. They have juveniles for sale.

BC9066FF-A8FD-48CB-B197-2BA644D7101D.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genus Amblyglyphidodon. An adult should be 3+ inches. Not as mean as a domino, most likely. But still, I generally tell people to avoid any damsels outside of the Chrysiptera genus.

OP
OP
C

cdems126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so helpful. If you have any other ideas feel free. I could do three Talbots for sure I actually forgot about those little guys

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on all of the above...personally I would avoid the Chromis. Other than a large group I had in a 180 (which lasted for years until I sold the tank) they seem to disappear on me one by one. Chrysiptera sp. I've had were pretty well behaved for damsels...I don't trust most of the other damsel species. Also agree that Ctenochaetus sp. is probably the best choice of tang for that size tank.

OP
OP
C

cdems126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be honest here I have been in this hobby for 13 ish years I know most fish by the trade name. I try to remember the scientific genus classification but it never sticks in my head. I always have room to learn though. I am not stuck in the damsel fish. As far as a yellow eyed kole a tomi or a white tail. I am pretty sure they all are bristletooths that get about the same size but I could be wrong.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a yellow eyed kole a tomi or a white tail. I am pretty sure they all are bristletooths that get about the same size but I could be wrong.
That's pretty much right, give or take an inch or so. Chevron and striatus get big. Ideally, the ones you mentioned would do well in a 4 foot tank.

Back