OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not even close. work got in the way. 60 hour schedule again. so right now it's mostly a weekend project. have to cover the copper pipes overhead. hoping to have that done this weekend. following weekend start the stand. should go pretty quick after that.
Excited to see it come along. I did get my icecap going in the 65 and it’s made a world of difference.

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What icecap model? I have same tank curious
2K.....so far I have a single pump running and it’s been great. Run it on Sine at Max 75% and the happiness of the coral I have in the tank has been impressive. Not to mention the movement of buildup on the rock and sand bed that I never realized was there with my previous pumps.

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2K.....so far I have a single pump running and it’s been great. Run it on Sine at Max 75% and the happiness of the coral I have in the tank has been impressive. Not to mention the movement of buildup on the rock and sand bed that I never realized was there with my previous pumps.
So you feel like the 1k would be too small? And thats your only powerhead in the tank?

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you feel like the 1k would be too small? And thats your only powerhead in the tank?
Yeah. I have had multiple people tell me to go a bit bigger than you think you need and be able to turn the power down. Better than going too small. Also, I don’t think they make the 1K anymore. Right now it’s the only power head I have running in my tank. I still have my other two in there, but not plugged in. I wanted to make sure the 2K would do the job first. Eventually I’d like to get a 2nd 2K pump to have on the opposite side running a different cycle, but of course I would have to dial both of them down to less than 75% or it would be a wave pool in there.

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah. I have had multiple people tell me to go a bit bigger than you think you need and be able to turn the power down. Better than going too small. Also, I don’t think they make the 1K anymore. Right now it’s the only power head I have running in my tank. I still have my other two in there, but not plugged in. I wanted to make sure the 2K would do the job first. Eventually I’d like to get a 2nd 2K pump to have on the opposite side running a different cycle, but of course I would have to dial both of them down to less than 75% or it would be a wave pool in there.
Awesome thanks for the speedy response your tank looks great. What return pump are you using and are you happy with it flow wise etc

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the speedy response your tank looks great. What return pump are you using and are you happy with it flow wise etc
No problem. Thanks for the kind words. It’s definitely been an experiment. I’m using the return pump below. It’s been a workhorse and I couldn’t be happier so far. What type of sump are you running in yours?

Pondmaster 02515 Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 5 500 GPH Water Pump ( Black or Silver )

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when you set up your overflow I highly recommend a Stockman Standpipe setup. I switched to that style and it’s been 10x quieter than the previous setup. Just a thought

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also when you set up your overflow I highly recommend a Stockman Standpipe setup. I switched to that style and it’s been 10x quieter than the previous setup. Just a thought
Im going to go with herbie method but ill look into that! I bought a sicce syncra 2.0 (568 gph) but wondering if after head loss its still adequate. Seems itd be about 400gph after head loss thats about a 5x turnover rate i think thats fine what do you think? Im running a redsea reefer 350 sump i got for cheap trying to make it all work. Edit: the stockman setup is really cool! I have 2 drains and a return though so if i only had one i would deff use that. I drilled another hole so i have 2x 1” for drains and 1 3/4 for Return

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to go with herbie method but ill look into that! I bought a sicce syncra 2.0 (568 gph) but wondering if after head loss its still adequate. Seems itd be about 400gph after head loss thats about a 5x turnover rate i think thats fine what do you think? Im running a redsea reefer 350 sump i got for cheap trying to make it all work
I’m pretty sure you will be fine with that return pump. I think mine is 500 GPH and it seems to be fine. That’s a nice sump! Sounds like you are off to a great start. You gonna run a refugium as well?

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m pretty sure you will be fine with that return pump. I think mine is 500 GPH and it seems to be fine. That’s a nice sump! Sounds like you are off to a great start. You gonna run a refugium as well?
Yep still trying to figure out how to do that will all the space. I wouldnt run a reef without one personally

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a while since I updated this post but I finally had a breakthrough I had been waiting on for months. My RBTA randomly split one night and I now have two happy and healthy nems! Even though they still hide in the back of my tank it was cool to finally see it happen.
6C96AD5F-10E8-43DC-BB65-DCC04D803E85.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back