65 gallon stocking advice and suggestions

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading my biocube to a 65 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump, Octopus Int 110 skimmer, algae scrubber, 60-80 lbs of liverock, amd 60 lbs of livesand.

Current stocking:
- 2 occelaris clowns
- 1 hi fin goby
- CUC

Tentative additions:
- 2 bengai cardinals
- 1 pearly jawfish
- 1 McCoskers Wrasse
- 1 leopard wrasse
- 2 green chromis
- 1 tailspot blenny
- 1 kole tang

I'm assuming adding all will be too much for a tank my size, right? Which would you suggest I keep from my list? Or which would you recommend I swap in that I havent mentioned?

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of that list should be fine. IMO 65 is a little small for a tang.
I know. From what I've read, Kole tangs are one the few that might be okay. Still on the fence with it. I have two friends with 90 and 120 g tanks so I might look into growth rates, and get a small one. Not sure though

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, except for the tang.

If you're willing to take the gamble, one of the smaller dwarf angels would be a good replacement. I like the flameback.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at doing the same but unsure of the route i want to go.. what tank are you getting?

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at doing the same but unsure of the route i want to go.. what tank are you getting?
Got a used standard tank for a good deal.
20180912_191208.jpeg

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, except for the tang.

If you're willing to take the gamble, one of the smaller dwarf angels would be a good replacement. I like the flameback.
They are prettier fish... Just heard mixed reviews with reefs

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. From what I've read, Kole tangs are one the few that might be okay. Still on the fence with it. I have two friends with 90 and 120 g tanks so I might look into growth rates, and get a small one. Not sure though

The Kole Tang maxes out between 7-8 inches in length, which is big for any 4 foot long tank, but even more so for the smaller end of that spectrum of tanks. If you are dead set on a Tang, go with the Tomini as it maxes out around 6 inches and tends to be less needy of open swimming space than it's counterparts. Dwarf or Pygmy Angels are better fits for a 65 in terms of space and color, but you are correct that they are a gamble. The Pygmy Angels (ie Cherubfish and Flameback) are less likely to nip than the dwarf angels, but they can be quite assertive towards tank mates. A Coral Beauty would be another good choice, if you want a multicolored dwarf. I have a Coral Beauty in my 90 gallon and it's a great fish, but then again I only have a couple of Euphyllia Frags (which are generally left alone).

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kole Tang maxes out between 7-8 inches in length, which is big for any 4 foot long tank, but even more so for the smaller end of that spectrum of tanks. If you are dead set on a Tang, go with the Tomini as it maxes out around 6 inches and tends to be less needy of open swimming space than it's counterparts. Dwarf or Pygmy Angels are better fits for a 65 in terms of space and color, but you are correct that they are a gamble. The Pygmy Angels (ie Cherubfish and Flameback) are less likely to nip than the dwarf angels, but they can be quite assertive towards tank mates. A Coral Beauty would be another good choice, if you want a multicolored dwarf. I have a Coral Beauty in my 90 gallon and it's a great fish, but then again I only have a couple of Euphyllia Frags (which are generally left alone).
Yeah. I think I will forgoe the tang. I didnt realize flameback was different than flame. Thats a really nice looking fish. I do have a lot of euphyllia though so maybe I'll go an entirely different direction. Will a flameback just all of a sudden start eating them after a long time or am I pretty safe if it doesnt start eating them within the first week or so?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but im sure it will get old. It was the biggest my wife would compromise on (for now)
I hear ya! Take what what you can get as fast as you can!
Best wishes on your build!
Please start a build thread!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I think I will forgoe the tang. I didnt realize flameback was different than flame. Thats a really nice looking fish. I do have a lot of euphyllia though so maybe I'll go an entirely different direction. Will a flameback just all of a sudden start eating them after a long time or am I pretty safe if it doesnt start eating them within the first week or so?

Good decision on the tang. Nothing wrong with your new tank at all; I just wouldn't recommend even the smallest tangs for a 3' tank.

I agree, flamebacks are really pretty. I suppose there is a slight risk, but I would be very surprised if Euphyllia would be damaged. Typically if dwarf angels pick at things, it's zoas or fleshy LPS like acans.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! That should 'scape beautifully.

You need to check out some of the colorful wrasses to replace the angelfish, yellow 'coris' (lol, *NOT* red!) A few of the fairy and flasher are very colorful. Most are hardy. Especially most of the fairys. Most of the fairys and flashers stay 3-4".
(Skip the leopard's until you read up for at least several hours to have even a vague idea of their care. Awesome fish, just hard to keep happy. Most of the others are 'goldfish' level of fussiness.)
There are 2 groups, reef safe and heck no!
Liveaquaria.com is a good place to start getting to know the different wrasse.
If you decide to add 3 or 4 check out this thread for the order you should add them.
[emoji4]

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=113942&share_fid=1020&share_type=t

Evolved and eatbreakfast are wrasse gurus.

Other easy fish are royal gramma, some gobies, flame hawkfish or longnose hawkfish.

I would skip any dwarf angelfish, a 6 line wrasse, damsels and dottybacks.
Or do all of them together and have a beautiful but really aggressive community tank.
[emoji4]

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good decision on the tang. Nothing wrong with your new tank at all; I just wouldn't recommend even the smallest tangs for a 3' tank.

I agree, flamebacks are really pretty. I suppose there is a slight risk, but I would be very surprised if Euphyllia would be damaged. Typically if dwarf angels pick at things, it's zoas or fleshy LPS like acans.

Agreed. When my coral beauty takes the occasional nip at my Euphyllia it usually takes one small nip and then spits it out (it definitely doesn't like the taste) and then moves on. Euphyllia also bounce back really well from such things.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back