65g Stocking help?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for Christmas my parents got me a 65g with stand, we have yet to pick it up, and I was wondering about fish stocking. For substrate I was thinking maybe Caribsea Arag-Alive Black Sand, or maybe even Fiji Pink. I havent decided between live or dry rock, but my LFS doesnt sell live rock, so I think I may just go with dry. Does anyone know how large of a piece 40lbs of dry rock is? Because it is lighter than live rock right? And they sell it by the pound.
Coral stocking:
My current corals+
- more xenia
- more GSP
- more zoas
-more mushrooms

Lots of simple, basic corals that grow quickly.

Fish stocking
- Clownfish pair, which I already have
- Coral beauty angel
- Melanurus wrasse
- Maybe a shrimp and goby pair.
I would like a tang in a 65g like a tomini or kole but i am aware long term that wont work right?

Tell me what you think, maybe even leave some more suggestions?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the tang. Other than that your list is probably okay.

Also worthy of consideration:
A blenny like a Midas, starry, tribal, bicolor, ect.

Basslets are awesome, grammas, assessors, liopropoma.

Flasher and fairy wrasses to compliment the other wrasse.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the tang. Other than that your list is probably okay.

Also worthy of consideration:
A blenny like a Midas, starry, tribal, bicolor, ect.

Basslets are awesome, grammas, assessors, liopropoma.

Flasher and fairy wrasses to compliment the other wrasse.
Sounds cool, I have thought of a blenny, maybe a bicolor Ive found they look cool and have personality. Ive also thought of maybe switching out the goby/shrimp pair for a pair of anthias. Would that work?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool, I have thought of a blenny, maybe a bicolor Ive found they look cool and have personality. Ive also thought of maybe switching out the goby/shrimp pair for a pair of anthias. Would that work?
Shrimp goby and anthias occupy such different niches there is no reason you couldn’t do both if you manage bio load. Bio load of anthias is much higher than a shrimp goby pair so not really a 1:1 trade on that front.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! I know how tough it can be top convince your parents on another tank/a tank upgrade, like seriously the worst that could happen is the whole system breaks and compromises the structural integrity of the house, that’s not so bad is it?

personally, I would try to go for an NSA scape ( negative space aqua scape ) which is basically obtained by taking whatever rock you want, breaking it into small pieces, and supergluing/cementing it to a flat base rock, you can make some really cool things with that style.

BRS has a great video explaining and showing all the steps to an NSA. :)

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! I know how tough it can be top convince your parents on another tank/a tank upgrade, like seriously the worst that could happen is the whole system breaks and compromises the structural integrity of the house, that’s not so bad is it?

personally, I would try to go for an NSA scape ( negative space aqua scape ) which is basically obtained by taking whatever rock you want, breaking it into small pieces, and supergluing/cementing it to a flat base rock, you can make some really cool things with that style.

BRS has a great video explaining and showing all the steps to an NSA. :)
Ive started rewatching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing XD I think Im going to go with like 40lbs of dry rock, something somewhat minimalistic, probably having lots of rock going on one side and having that be higher, then it slopes down into nothing, leaving 1/3 of the tank bottom just sand.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp goby and anthias occupy such different niches there is no reason you couldn’t do both if you manage bio load. Bio load of anthias is much higher than a shrimp goby pair so not really a 1:1 trade on that front.
That is true, I do water changes weekly to manage bioload. LIke 10%. Or should I not? First time keeping large tank, how often do I do water changes?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive started rewatching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing XD I think Im going to go with like 40lbs of dry rock, something somewhat minimalistic, probably having lots of rock going on one side and having that be higher, then it slopes down into nothing, leaving 1/3 of the tank bottom just sand.
A part with just sand would be nice! ( much much better than the standard rock wall, though I am not one to talk about standard rock walls :rolleyes: )

And may I ask if it is one of the super long and tank tanks that is really skinny? Those are a pain to scape, and have decent sized fish in, so if it is one of those I would Mabye try to glue the rocks to the back so they take up minimal depth.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely do a group of the smaller anthias, like randalls. I have 5 anthias in my similarily sized tank : 3 lyretails and 2 flavvogutatus (and 2 randalls at a point). I wouldnt recommend lyretails for this sized tank, defintely stick to smaller, peacefuller species, if you do go down that route

I think i may have mentioned before but theres the pike blennies too.

And as pcon said, so many cool basslets to choose from.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A part with just sand would be nice! ( much much better than the standard rock wall, though I am not one to talk about standard rock walls :rolleyes: )

And may I ask if it is one of the super long and tank tanks that is really skinny? Those are a pain to scape, and have decent sized fish in, so if it is one of those I would Mabye try to glue the rocks to the back so they take up minimal depth.
Nah, the tank is 36x18x24 if I am not mistaken. The stand included is slightly bigger obviously, but no its not a skinny tank lol. My scape would be similar to the BRS 160 (i believe thats what they call it), but instead of having the slope of rockwork going from both sides to the middle, I would just have it going from one side of the tank.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely do a group of the smaller anthias, like randalls. I have 5 anthias in my similarily sized tank : 3 lyretails and 2 flavvogutatus (and 2 randalls at a point). I wouldnt recommend lyretails for this sized tank, defintely stick to smaller, peacefuller species, if you do go down that route

I think i may have mentioned before but theres the pike blennies too.

And as pcon said, so many cool basslets to choose from.
It would just be two lyretail anthias, hopefully. I like the look and colors on them (even though lots of anthias have the same colors and body shape XD )

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, the tank is 36x18x24 if I am not mistaken. The stand included is slightly bigger obviously, but no its not a skinny tank lol. My scape would be similar to the BRS 160 (i believe thats what they call it), but instead of having the slope of rockwork going from both sides to the middle, I would just have it going from one side of the tank.
Now those are some sweet dimensions! Sounds like you got a plan, wishing you the best of luck and make sure to post a build thread!

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also I forgot to mention, Im going to be using the Fluval 470 Canister Filter to start, then Im going to save up to get what I need to setup a nice sump with a fuge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back