65ish gallon acrylic black frame build

Not_Eeyore

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 24, 2021
Messages
140
Reaction score
56
Location
Dickson City
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell hard for the idea of an 18" tall 65 gallon All In One. Clear for Life makes them but neither PetCo or Petsmart will special order one even if I pay for it right then. Plus I am not a fan of euro tops, the design of their AIO flow, or their placement on the back. Hunted for a used one for 3 months figuring price would forgive a lot. Nada. Commercial driver so my shopping area is a 1000 mile plus corridor between Scranton, Pa and Fargo, Nd with St Louis, Il to Scranton as the back haul.
1621934074436.png
1621934089681.png
 
Grr. Wait, there is a black frame that size:);) by a company I trust... (Hear angels singing!)
1621934261487.png


and shipping is $400.:eek:o_O
 
Tried searching for custom builders closer but no good prospects. Then I came across a very nice man selling everything to move. 1/2" cell cast cut to size $125 plus frame from Over The Edge $150 (got top and bottom of both kinds.) A shipping goof had the seller cutting it from the frame makers' numbers. The fit is super!
 

Attachments

  • 65Lframe.png
    65Lframe.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • 65L.png
    65L.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
Searched my area fish clubs/forums on FB, Band, and Discord for someone to put them together to no avail. I do no blame them. Between C19 and the short warm season here; everyone is frantic to be outside.

In my searches, this site came up again and again. I noticed the DIY acrylic build threads were active so here I am. Dragged kicking and screaming to bonding the parts myself; but determined to do a good job. Tracking down the recommended brand of camper-mount adhesive-backed foam was a pill and it will take awhile to get here. The rest of the supplies for doing the Pins method will be here in a week or so.
1621936619203.png
 
#DIYwizards

#Turbo's Aquatics​

Building a black frame acrylic tank using the pin method. Is it ok to use the frame as a jig, pin all of it (painters tape to hold them,) shim/bond the horizontal seam, let cure, and then rotate to reach the next seam??

​

 
Build order sorted; I need to anchor the bottom pane to the frame first. Marking the edges was easy. Peeling back the masking was a PITA.
.
 

Attachments

  • marked.png
    marked.png
    395.6 KB · Views: 101
  • peel.png
    peel.png
    258.7 KB · Views: 121
Ugliest peel ever but proud of winning the 3 week battle to get the masking paper off the edges I will be welding.
 

Attachments

  • mask.png
    mask.png
    804.1 KB · Views: 102
  • mask2.png
    mask2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • peel.png
    peel.png
    258.7 KB · Views: 107
Now... about these edges... sigh. No router so scraper and Dremel it is.
#DIYwizards suggestions?
 

Attachments

  • edges.png
    edges.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • edges1.png
    edges1.png
    937 KB · Views: 98
  • edges2.png
    edges2.png
    1 MB · Views: 104

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new