WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s time to update the thread...

the tank busted on the side. I’m sure it’s from me using razor to close to silicon seams or stressing it when moving alone.
Thank goodness I was home. I started a different thread when this happened.

This is not gonna stop me. I ordered a new custom cube. Starfire glass on the 4 sides.

for now, this is my tank...

Sorry to hear about the busted tank! It sounds like your replacement will be an upgrade tho at least. What you mentioned about possibly getting to close/rough with the razor cleaner made me nervous. Think I'll start using the felt side of my flipper scraper close to the seams and the razor for the rest. Hope things get back on track for ya soon!

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the busted tank! It sounds like your replacement will be an upgrade tho at least. What you mentioned about possibly getting to close/rough with the razor cleaner made me nervous. Think I'll start using the felt side of my flipper scraper close to the seams and the razor for the rest. Hope things get back on track for ya soon!
Thanks Wisco!
The razor I used is one on an extension rod, not a magnetic one like the flipper. Doesn’t the flipper have a bit of protection on the side, and is at 90 degree? Mine is 45 degree on my extension razor and no protection... I definitely am gonna stay away from the seams now.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Wisco!
The razor I used is one on an extension rod, not a magnetic one like the flipper. Doesn’t the flipper have a bit of protection on the side, and is at 90 degree? Mine is 45 degree on my extension razor and no protection... I definitely am gonna stay away from the seams now.

The flipper is also at an angle, but does have a little bit of protection. Still makes me nervous especially seeing how the seams are on the marineland cube.

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to read that your tank broke but I'm glad you're not giving up. The 60 cube is ideal in my mind and all Starfire glass will give you great views. Keep up the good work and I'm making a mental note not to put my razor blades close to the seams on my own 60 gallon.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish are through copper quarantine. They are in another tank now waiting for the 60 to be built.
Tailspot is the king of this tank!
7E037E28-E6DC-49F2-A958-7EF45C940507.jpeg
B5FE6AA7-BCA2-49FE-8661-46CC037C6FB3.jpeg
69C34E9D-761B-435B-AA3E-2AF85561A825.jpeg

I bought another 3 for the quarantine. a yellow corris, a green clown goby and a carpenter flasher wrasse. everyone is eating.
Lights are off so pics will come later.

BTW my fish are LOVING blackworms. But I think my better half is gonna divorce me with them in the fridge:oops:

Hannahrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your tank! I'll be extra careful around my corners now. So are you going to stick with the same aquascape and have the same corner overflow in the new one? I usually hate the big stock overflows but you did such a great job hiding it! You also did a great job on the stand. I wish we has spent time on the interior of ours, we were only focused on the exterior and getting it totally re-plumbed. I am so glad you decided to keep on and get a new cube, I will be following :)

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Hannahrain

I’m planning on using the same aquascape. It’s cemented together in a few pieces that fit together. Everything has been cycling in a brute trash can.

My new tank is finally built. I really like it. The corner overflow is bigger because I wanted an emergency drain too. Hopefully my scape still hides it.

I plan on setting everything up in a few weeks when life slows down. At least the scape has cycled for a few months so should have plenty of good bacteria populating the rockscape by now. Hopefully when I set it up I don’t get the uglies too too bad when I turn the lights on.

That tank turned out real nice! Can't wait to see it once its filled up :)

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking supply of used hardware you got. What kind of tank are you planing to make it? A regular mixed reef or something more specialized?

I had a 40g cube and loved it. But it became so full I decided to make one last tank (I'm retired and 70 years old) so I'm setting up a 90g (36"x30"x20") tank. It will be mostly zoas and Rock Flower Anemones (I have about 40+ from full size adults to tiny 1/8" diameter babies).

This is my old 40g cube from back a year ago.
20190110_095104 R1.jpg

Awesome! Hoping to get there one day!

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cube is finally set up and my first fish are out of quarantine and in it.

unfortunately my rockwork that I had mortared together didn’t quite work in this one due to the overflow in back. But I only had to break a piece off.

I need to order more Emarco400 to finalize it.

I also have a temporary screen on top to keep my fish in. I used bird netting, 4 layers that are staggered since it is 1/2”. Used binder clips with some tape on the inside of them to make sure I don’t scratch the glass.
I know, it’s not pretty. But at least the fish Are in and will not jump. I had a yellow coris wrasse jump through a space that was smaller than he was, so I’m gonna be extra cautious.

I'm really digging that aquascape! I need to get off my butt and put a mesh cover together as well. I've got an IM DIY kit that's been collecting dust in my office for way too long lol

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @WiscoFishNut
Let me know how you like the IM top One you get it built. Maybe I will get one too.

I was thinking of getting one from octo aquatics or clear view. The pics they have are gorgeous. But I need to figure out the cutouts I need for Light mounts/auto feeder.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those companies make some really nice looking lids. Spendy, but not much in our hobby of choice comes cheaply lol. I'll try and get motivated this weekend and get that IM one built so I can share my thoughts on it.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updating build thread, even though ugly stage has gotten worse.

Switched out the fine sand because it was blowing all over everything. Went with caribsea special grade due to other reefer suggestions. It for sure is better and not blowing nearly as much.

Had to bring the flameback angel back to LFS because he was terrorizing everyone. My yellow watchman jumped through a gap in screen. My tailspot blenny was killed. And this murderer also tried to kill my naked ocellaris when I put him in, and blew his swim bladder. He is doing a little better, thread here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/swim-bladder-rupture.733943/

I'm dealing with chrysophytes (the yellow/brown stringy algae I posted about in last post which were IDed by @taricha) that have taken over all the dead rock and new sand. I'm suctioning it out quite often, but it comes back within a day. Its really frustrating.

Quarantining a couple pieces of live rock, hermit crabs, snails and some macro algae that I will be putting in the cube August 1. I cant wait!!!hopefully with more diversity the chrysophytes will lose their foothold on the tank. Interestingly,the refugium rock that has been lit for months now does not have any.

I've tried to seed with better bacteria, ZEObac, Microbacter 7, and a bunch of others, but its just not working. Dosing to try to keep PO4 around 0.05 to 0.01 and nitrate at 5 to 10. It's just gonna take a lot of time I think.

Adding some tank shots.
Live rock will be rearranged. I put it in center to hopefully seed the dead rock with good stuff.

Refugium is doing well

Quarantine tank. I'm liking this tank better than my display...

And quarantine for live rock

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! Love that QT tank too!

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slick looking tank. That stand came out nice. I have a great hydra schedule sps template if you ever need it.
Thanks @Chasewood79 ! I would actually love a good sps template because I have no clue where to start with that. There are just way too many options out there.

I have seen your pics and know you can grow some amazing sps so at least having a solid lighting schedule would help me immensely. I'm gonna give my tank about 3-6 more months to mature because the dead rock just is not getting my biome to where I think it needs to be for sps.

I have 3 hydras and was thinking about using all 3 (but at a lower intensity so I don't burn corals) to give me better spread and fewer shadows. Right now I only have the 2 on the tank.

Looking good! Love that QT tank too!
Thanks a lot @revhtree . And thanks for this site because its pretty awesome that we can get awesome advice, suggestions, help from the amazing reefers on the site!

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Chasewood79 ! I would actually love a good sps template because I have no clue where to start with that. There are just way too many options out there.

I have seen your pics and know you can grow some amazing sps so at least having a solid lighting schedule would help me immensely. I'm gonna give my tank about 3-6 more months to mature because the dead rock just is not getting my biome to where I think it needs to be for sps.

I have 3 hydras and was thinking about using all 3 (but at a lower intensity so I don't burn corals) to give me better spread and fewer shadows. Right now I only have the 2 on the tank.

Thanks a lot @revhtree . And thanks for this site because its pretty awesome that we can get awesome advice, suggestions, help from the amazing reefers on the site!
3-6 months should give me enough time to figure out how to send it to you . I have a ton of good starter sps as well once you’re ready

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back