Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking supply of used hardware you got. What kind of tank are you planing to make it? A regular mixed reef or something more specialized?

I had a 40g cube and loved it. But it became so full I decided to make one last tank (I'm retired and 70 years old) so I'm setting up a 90g (36"x30"x20") tank. It will be mostly zoas and Rock Flower Anemones (I have about 40+ from full size adults to tiny 1/8" diameter babies).

This is my old 40g cube from back a year ago.
20190110_095104 R1.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.

I made a spill/splash container out of PVC sheet that the sump/fuge sits in. Based on the tools I see in the pics, you come at least reasonably well equipped and with some DIY skills!

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blue and white looks very nice and the leds really make it stand out. Its so nice you might just want a piece of glass or acrylic to show it off for a door.
Big tranformation from when you got it.
Thank you so much for your help figuring things out.

I’m planning on the sump being on a reverse light schedule to help with PH up at night, so I’m wondering if the light spillage will disrupt fish sleeping patterns.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO it won't. Most fish find dark spots or protected spots in the rocks to sleep. Besides, if you've ever been in the water snorkeling or diving with a full moon...

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO it won't. Most fish find dark spots or protected spots in the rocks to sleep. Besides, if you've ever been in the water snorkeling or diving with a full moon...
Thanks Ron,
I haven’t been night diving yet but it’s definitely something I want to try.
They have full moon dives here in Miami and I’m planning to do one this year.

thinking about it, some nights with full moon are pretty bright.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it so far, good score. Loved my 60 cube, unfortunately a seam started leaking so it's sitting out back. Looks like I have the same stand so good chance I steal some of your ideas lol! I'm planning on throwing a 45 cube back on it. Wife misses having a tank in the family room in addition to my office :).

Regarding the return, if the glass isn't tempered, you can drill the return on the back of the tank into the overflow area. Did on my cube and worked very well.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it so far, good score. Loved my 60 cube, unfortunately a seam started leaking so it's sitting out back. Looks like I have the same stand so good chance I steal some of your ideas lol! I'm planning on throwing a 45 cube back on it. Wife misses having a tank in the family room in addition to my office :).

Regarding the return, if the glass isn't tempered, you can drill the return on the back of the tank into the overflow area. Did on my cube and worked very well.
Thanks Radman!
I don't think the glass is tempered, I really thought about drilling it but decided against it. I've tried to drill holes before in glass vases being used as planters and glass tiles. I was not very good at it... I like working with wood, where if I mess up a little, wood putty and caulk can fix it, lol.
Now that the plumbing is done, it doesn't bother me too bad, the cords to my powerheads and backup air pump go over the edge as well and everything is zip tied to the pipe. It will probably drive me nuts later, and if I had some practice with drilling tanks, I would have drilled it.
thumbnail_IMG_3733.jpg

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks unique. It will look much better with corals on it. I know that struggle all to well. I also like that you painted the bottom tank trim white so it blends in with the stand.
Thank you!
That was my intention with the trim.
I tried to think about coral placement with the rock. I didn’t want to start with too much and give plenty of space for them to grow.
I also did not want much rock on the sand.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back