7’ flow

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank should be here in an hour. Then plumbing and stuff.

Need help with flow.

Tank is 7’x2x2. I have available- 4 gyre xf350’s (2 cloud. 2 regular). Coast to Coast overflow on short side.

Would like to put just 2 Gyre’s vertically on the overflow side. I’ve seen it work but am wary with the sand bed. Rock work is pretty open on the front and back.

Don’t want to put anything on the back wall.

These things are painful to clean so if I don’t have to use 4, I’d be a happy camper. Previously had great success with one on each end horizontal on 6’.

Show me what you got on your 7-footers!

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running (4) MP60's on my 7' aquarium. I'm running them (on some modes) up to 80% and seems to be working well. More than that and water splashes over the edge. Also, this tank has only been up and running about a month. So, time will tell.

RS.jpg

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running (4) MP60's on my 7' aquarium. I'm running them (on some modes) up to 80% and seems to be working well. More than that and water splashes over the edge. Also, this tank has only been up and running about a month. So, time will tell.

RS.jpg
Looks great. I always prefer more equipment at less power vs just enough at 100% and it looks like you have the same mindset.

I’m deluding myself thinking that if 2, Gyre XF350’s at 100% were enough for 6’, 120g tank that they’ll be fine for a 7’, 210g.

I told my wife when we started that I thought I’d need 2, MP60’s and I have resisted but I’m thinking it would be smarter not to get the new XF350’s I bought get wet, return them or sell them, and grab 2 MP60’s or 4, MP40’s. I can just feel that I’m making a mistake and setting myself up for pain trying to use these Gyres.

I have a sand bed for my goby and pistol shrimp. 4 MP60’s would turn my 7x2x2 into a fluidized sand filter! That’s wild.

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do have the more equipment less power mindset. I went larger on my return pump as well for the flexibility. I went with the RE Red Dragon 3 230w where the 150w would have most likely been fine. My plumbing runs into another room so I wanted to make sure I had enough umph.

Haha, believe it or not, I also bought at the same time (2) Maxspect Gyre XF350's (non Cloud Version) to go on the back wall to the sides of the internal overflow but after adding the MP's I was like, adding thes gyres will turn this tank into a Tsunami! I was also hesitant to use them because I am not crazy about having to clean gyres (along with pulling the cords through my stand) though I believe they work really well. I never opened them and ended up selling them.

I went the (4) MP60 route only because I knew I was going bare bottom on this aquarium. Otherwise, I would have gone with (2) MP60's/(2) MP40's or even just (4) of the MP40's due to my aquascape. I was also concerned in the design process the MP40's were not going to be able to reach the middle of the tank that well. I think they would have worked but, running close to 100% especially when things are grown out. I was also hesitant on the MP40's because I have read many times that they get finicky when running them at full power on 3/4" glass.

For clarity, my tank is 84x30x20. Also I have a friend local to me and he has a 72x30x22, close to our tank sizes and he runs (2) MP60's, (2) MP40's and (2) of the Maxspect Gyre XF150's. He runs them all pretty low though. Also bare bottom. So, there's that, lol.

Anyway, post pics when you get things going!

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do have the more equipment less power mindset. I went larger on my return pump as well for the flexibility. I went with the RE Red Dragon 3 230w where the 150w would have most likely been fine. My plumbing runs into another room so I wanted to make sure I had enough umph.

Haha, believe it or not, I also bought at the same time (2) Maxspect Gyre XF350's (non Cloud Version) to go on the back wall to the sides of the internal overflow but after adding the MP's I was like, adding thes gyres will turn this tank into a Tsunami! I was also hesitant to use them because I am not crazy about having to clean gyres (along with pulling the cords through my stand) though I believe they work really well. I never opened them and ended up selling them.

I went the (4) MP60 route only because I knew I was going bare bottom on this aquarium. Otherwise, I would have gone with (2) MP60's/(2) MP40's or even just (4) of the MP40's due to my aquascape. I was also concerned in the design process the MP40's were not going to be able to reach the middle of the tank that well. I think they would have worked but, running close to 100% especially when things are grown out. I was also hesitant on the MP40's because I have read many times that they get finicky when running them at full power on 3/4" glass.

For clarity, my tank is 84x30x20. Also I have a friend local to me and he has a 72x30x22, close to our tank sizes and he runs (2) MP60's, (2) MP40's and (2) of the Maxspect Gyre XF150's. He runs them all pretty low though. Also bare bottom. So, there's that, lol.

Anyway, post pics when you get things going!
You’re smart and ahead of me. It took way too long to realize equipment at 100% in this hobby is a bad idea.

I’m going with 2, MP60’s. Wife approved them. I can’t fathom 4 of them and I had a shallow 120g that this tank is replacing and 2 MP40’s couldn’t reach the middle (which is why I went with the Gyre’s). Now that a budget has been set I may go with 2 MP40’s and an MP60 on the other side. I’m going to update my build thread soon but here’s a pic. Got the rock in but no plumbing (that’s tomorrow).

I’m concerned the MP60 will sit below the overflow a couple inches off the sand bed and cause issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back