OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to stop by the LFS today and picked up a few more frags! New additions include:
-JF Fox Flame
-ARC Proximo
-Black Dragon Acro

Also hooked up 2 Kamoer Bluetooth dosers and have a 3rd on order. For $60 you can’t beat these pumps! Looking forward to testing out their longevity

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue I seem to be running into is a nervously high water level in the display and I can’t really see any reason why this should be happening. I know my power is raising it at the front a little but water is literally spilling over the top of the baffle in the back. Part of me wants to attribute this to the poor filtration design but I am going to do some more investigating. Only thing I have sitting in the first chamber is some filter floss and a mechanical sponge. Hopefully I’m able to come back with a fix.
37BD8B36-ACD9-4567-BA2F-ABE8B0FEE927.jpeg

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue I seem to be running into is a nervously high water level in the display and I can’t really see any reason why this should be happening

I think this is the problem I was describing earlier - it is related to the return pump flow and the bottom drain. I solved it by plugging the drain and drastically restricting the return flow.

Part of me wants to attribute this to the poor filtration design

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a design flaw... The overflow didn't provide enough throughput, so they added a bottom drain, except that ended up coupling the flow throughput to the back chambers to the flow throughput of the filter media... And flow throughput to the back chambers affects the display level. This doesn't happen when you use the overflow only.

I wrote more about it in my build thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lifegard-aquatics-7-4g-pico-build-the-burry.736530/#post-8201886

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One issue I seem to be running into is a nervously high water level in the display and I can’t really see any reason why this should be happening. I know my power is raising it at the front a little but water is literally spilling over the top of the baffle in the back. Part of me wants to attribute this to the poor filtration design but I am going to do some more investigating. Only thing I have sitting in the first chamber is some filter floss and a mechanical sponge. Hopefully I’m able to come back with a fix.
37BD8B36-ACD9-4567-BA2F-ABE8B0FEE927.jpeg
How far does the water in your pump section drop when the pump is on vs off?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Try removing the mechanical sponge and using the filter floss only. Stuffing the mechanical sponge down will make the water level rise and hard for water to penetrate through. :)

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Try removing the mechanical sponge and using the filter floss only. Stuffing the mechanical sponge down will make the water level rise and hard for water to penetrate through. :)
There’s a drain hole on the bottom and I removed the strainer. That helped tremendously. I just wish the overflow teeth went up higher so I could get some surface skimming going

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have the OG Chinese brand of these tanks in 5G form.

the weir is the brand name cut out of the glass instead of straight teeth and the bottom are straight teeth instead if a hole.

I blocked my bottom with a piece of acrylic super glued and knocked out parts of the top weird letters (the middle of the letter 'D' and 'g'.

I have designed a printable filter sock for it for this if you guys are interested and the dimensions are the same. it does require buying the filter mesh, a sewing machine and a tiny bit of DIYing.

IMG_20201220_105016.jpg
IMG_20201220_104958.jpg
IMG_20201219_204951.jpg
Creamsicle with Sexy Shrimp Cropped 2021-01-02.jpg

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have the OG Chinese brand of these tanks in 5G form.

the weir is the brand name cut out of the glass instead of straight teeth and the bottom are straight teeth instead if a hole.

I blocked my bottom with a piece of acrylic super glued and knocked out parts of the top weird letters (the middle of the letter 'D' and 'g'.

I have designed a printable filter sock for it for this if you guys are interested and the dimensions are the same. it does require buying the filter mesh, a sewing machine and a tiny bit of DIYing.

IMG_20201220_105016.jpg
IMG_20201220_104958.jpg
IMG_20201219_204951.jpg
Creamsicle with Sexy Shrimp Cropped 2021-01-02.jpg
Wow awesome rock flower nems! I had luck with IM filters socks when I cut some of the black plastic to make them more flexible. Swapped them out for filter floss though. I really like the dimension of the tank but I just wish it had a better filtration system

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update: I think the drain was only part of the issue. I think my ATO is malfunctioning due to my lights shining on it. Noticed quite a bit of water missing from my reservoir after filling it yesterday and my water level rose quite a bit. Might try cleaning off the sensor to see if that helps. Luckily salinity didn’t drop that much

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed quite a bit of water missing from my reservoir after filling it yesterday and my water level rose quite a bit.

You should be able to tell whether the problem is the ATO by looking in the back chamber. If the ATO caused the water level in the chambers to rise well above the sensor, then that's your problem. If instead, the chamber levels are mostly correct and only the display level rose, then the problem is more likely your bottom drain and filtration, and your ato is only reacting to the falling levels in the back.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tanaka or pink streak would look great in that tank. I like where you have those 2 small tanks. Good work!

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to tell whether the problem is the ATO by looking in the back chamber. If the ATO caused the water level in the chambers to rise well above the sensor, then that's your problem. If instead, the chamber levels are mostly correct and only the display level rose, then the problem is more likely your bottom drain and filtration, and your ato is only reacting to the falling levels in the back.
The level rose everywhere. I turned the ATO off and decreased the water level to see what happens. The reason I think it’s the ATO is because optical sensors can fail if light is shining at them

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I’d give you an update. It looks like the problem is related to the drain. For some reason when I tried running with a lower water level, the water began evaporating from the display which is why my ATO added so much water. I’ll have to find a drain plug because I threw the old one out mistakenly hoping that solves the evaporation issue and things go back to normal

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are starting to color up nicely. Montipora is growing and the Acros seem nice and happy. My Blondies finally opened up too! Had to move my Speckled Krak because it didn’t like all the light it was getting.

227553E7-887D-4798-B70A-4771E64CE24F.jpeg
DFCE2622-67D4-4C17-B429-2530962E3EFC.jpeg
Wow tank looks amazing. Love the idea of a nano tank with spa.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back