7 gallon nano corals slowly bleaching

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a ai prime light on my nano for about 6 months and I’ve noticed on my corals some bleaching. I didn’t realize I was running my lights for 15 hours a day. I turned the lights down to 11 hours now. My chalice, favia, freak hair all have spots of bleaching. I run mostly blues to 100 percent and my uv at 70 percent. All my parameters are stable. Is the bleaching from my light running to long? I need help!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your parameters, especially salt. Im always curious about salinity swings in nanos.

Yes the primes could be the culprit. Post a picture to show placement of light and corals. IMO its strange they would start bleaching from high light after 6 months.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your parameters, especially salt. Im always curious about salinity swings in nanos.

Yes the primes could be the culprit. Post a picture to show placement of light and corals. IMO its strange they would start bleaching from high light after 6 months.

I run an ato so my salinity doesn’t swing. Test my salinity and water multiple times a week. Also the lfs checks it as well . Soon as I’m off work I’ll post it all for you.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an ato so my salinity doesn’t swing. Test my salinity and water multiple times a week. Also the lfs checks it as well . Soon as I’m off work I’ll post it all for you.
Good to know nitrate and phosphate levels too when dealing with corals. How often do you feed? What and how much do you feed with? What kind of filtration are you using?

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know nitrate and phosphate levels too when dealing with corals. How often do you feed? What and how much do you feed with? What kind of filtration are you using?
I test my phosphate and nitrates every week and is never a problem. Also my lfs test my water as well. Never have any issues with nitrates or phosphate.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get a more recent photo soon as I’m home

E00084BC-74E2-4573-A976-7DF91B07E783.jpeg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my phosphate and nitrates every week and is never a problem. Also my lfs test my water as well. Never have any issues with nitrates or phosphate.
That's great! Important to know how levels for alk, ca, nitrate and phosphate are changing over time and how quickly those changes are occurring. If you are able to post any numbers later it would help everyone better understand what's going on with your tank. Unfortunately 'never have any issues with' X doesn't really say anything we can work with.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another picture

39665C37-7408-4819-AA1C-54B546D04887.jpeg
Nice setup! Based on the tank photo and the pretty clean sand and rock and glass ,and your comment about never having any problem with nitrates and phosphates. I take that to mean the levels are pretty low to none. If that is the case then the corals might be bleaching due to lake of nutrients/food.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! Based on the tank photo and the pretty clean sand and rock and glass ,and your comment about never having any problem with nitrates and phosphates. I take that to mean the levels are pretty low to none. If that is the case then the corals might be bleaching due to lake of nutrients/food.
I feed a small amount of mysis shrimp once a day and sometimes every second day. I have a clown , watchman goby, neon goby, pistol shrimp and cleaner

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post all my levels soon as I get home thank you

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I dose fuel by aquavitro every water change. Once a week I do 15 percent

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sponge filter, a bag of the ceramic balls, and carbon for my filtration.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple resolution to issue is decrease intensity of the prime.

It will take weeks to see improvement once LPS lose coloration secondary to over illumination.

If you choose to chase N/P theories good luck to you. Do not over think it.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It will take weeks to see improvement once LPS lose coloration secondary to over illumination.

So the bleaching couldn’t be from not enough light correct? Prime will be decreased even more then.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just don’t want my corals to not have enough. I’m getting a lot of different opinions .

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have more than enough light. The 15 hour photoperiod is probably most likely to blame and recovery will be slow.

Bought my 1st nanocube in 2000. Been keeping nanos ever since and never had a need to balance N/P. Feed your fish and perform regular WC.

Or you can go down product buying rabbit hole.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back