700 gallon reef tank stocking 10ft by 2.5 ft by 3.5 ft tall

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two pictures of the current stock list please let me know all your thoughts on these and if there are any other cool fish you would add or any to take off!

IMG_4862.png IMG_4861.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tThat’s the biggest tang list I’ve ever read.
Are you going to have coral or fish only?

I’ve come across a few cool butterfly species and angel fish that I would have loved to pick up if I had a huge fish tank to hold them in. Get what you like.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post, but I still think you should Get what you like. Makes cleaning routine easier to accomplish.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratz on the big tank. I have a 120x48x30 that I set up in Sept. Even in that size tank you have some potential battles on your hand.

Sohal tangs are seriously aggressive fish. They can be all pleasant and then one day just turn and beat a fish to death.

Clown tang on the other high is just a psycho killer fish and will go after anything and everything.

Having either one of these fish is a huge risk for a pleasant community tank. Trying to have both together - both being of the same Tang Group - will be near impossible.

You also have Achilles, Powder Brown and Powder Blue - Again 3 fish from the same Tang group - Survival of these 3 is going to depend on the temperment of these 3 particular fish. 3 friendly ones, no problem. Just one who is deviant from nice and you will end up with only 1 and the 2 others stressed to sickness and death. Especially with Achilles and Powder Blue that are so ich prone - I don't care what your QT Protocol is - A fish farts too loud in a fish tank and an Achilles will bust out in white spots.

You have only 1 Naso Tang listed. From my experience I would recommend getting a pair. Seeing a pair of mature Naso with Lyres cruising the tank side by side doing lap after lap is a beautiful thing to watch and enjoy. The Naso once bonded together will usually keep to themselves and not bother or be bothered by the other tangs. And just keep doing their laps around the tank.

In the Zebrasomma Group you have 11 fish. This is good - And I think you could add more to this group. Your purples and yellows will group up at certain times of day and is a really neat spectacle. The Gem and the Purple are the most aggressive of this group. Try to get all these fish at the same time and add them at once. If not add them in groups of odd # of fish. Zebrasommas as individuals are much more bullies than the same fish in groups. Get the Purples and Gems slights smaller as they will be the first to develop a bad temperment. You can get the sailfin slightly smaller as it is the fastest growing of this group. You also have the Koi Tang Listed. I have yet to see a small or even medium sized Koi Tang come in. These are usually large fish. And very few of the koi tangs maintain their color in captivity.

The Koi's were found in a particular Cay - And they are only found in this one location. It is thought there is an algae at this spot which gives them their varied color. When they don't have this unique algae they go back to being scopas tangs. With 10-12Zebrasomma - You would want to start with smaller fish and let them grow up together. As juveniles these fish are more apt to stay 'friendly' and group. Also in a captive environment their growth rate will be slower giving you more time till either a dominant Gem or Purple matures and you need to rehome that particular fish.

Dave B

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back