72g bow vs 75 reg

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the holidays I’m planning on upgrading my 1 year 36g bowfront. Was wondering what’s the best choice and why
The 72g bowfront or the 75g normal.
I really like the 72g bowfront but bet there’s downsides to them help me decide

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the holidays I’m planning on upgrading my 1 year 36g bowfront. Was wondering what’s the best choice and why
The 72g bowfront or the 75g normal.
I really like the 72g bowfront but bet there’s downsides to them help me decide
I have the bf. A downside I've seen, it's kinda hard to get flow in the center of the bow, unless aiming a powerhead directly at it. I've got a 3k gyre mounted on one side at 60% random flow, it never touches the ~1- 2 inches directly center of the bowfront from the glass. Lighting is somewhat similar, but less problematic.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to tank size....IMO.... it's more about if it has built-in overflow(s) and where the overflow(s) are located .... and where the bulkhead holes are located.

72 vs 75 is splitting hairs. IMO the overflow(s) are 10x times more important

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 bowfront, cleaning the glass on the bowed pane is a PITA, also ad mentioned flow is more difficult.

Only thing I can think of is the bow places much greater pressure on the seems I believe. When I was a kid i remember seeing 6 ft bowfronts everywhere, I think they were 150ish gallons. Lot of problems with the front panel blowing off or leaking in the huge tanks which is why I dont thibk they sell those any more. A 72 should be fine though not enough weight to cause the problems just NEVER cut the brace

Jody Rockwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 bowfront, cleaning the glass on the bowed pane is a PITA, also ad mentioned flow is more difficult.

Only thing I can think of is the bow places much greater pressure on the seems I believe. When I was a kid i remember seeing 6 ft bowfronts everywhere, I think they were 150ish gallons. Lot of problems with the front panel blowing off or leaking in the huge tanks which is why I dont thibk they sell those any more. A 72 should be fine though not enough weight to cause the problems just NEVER cut the brace
I have just had my second failure of a 72 gallon bow Both blew bottom seals. I’ve never had problems with my rectangle tanks

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just had my second failure of a 72 gallon bow Both blew bottom seals. I’ve never had problems with my rectangle tanks
I'm sorry to hear that.
I swapped mine for a regular drilled 75g and made the bow front my cichlid tank. So far so good. Very little water movement compared to a reef tank though

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back