75 Gal Stock List; Help Me!

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm buying my own 75 Gal reef tank, and I have some ideas for stocking. Heres my ideas, and let me know if some arent compatible or you know wont work!
1x Kole tang / Squaretail Bristletooth Tang
1x Longnose Hawkfish
1x Sargassum Fish
1x Pair Caramel Clownfish
1x Pair of Banggai Cardinal
1x Coral Beauty Angel
1x Flame Angel/ Redstripe Angelfish
1x Bluehead Fairy Wrasse
1x Christmas Wrasse
ALSO some invertabraes.
So, I know theres a lot of mixed opinions on the flame and coral together, expecially in anything under like 120. What do you guys think? If this list is good, what order should everything go in? If its not, what should I exclude? I don't think I want to chance the flame and coral, so I will probably stick to my coral beauty and red stripe angels. Thanks for any help, so please help!!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Srry i wouldnt know too much about stocking a tank this size, but i would deifnetly recommend a mandarinfish. Superrrr colourful and awesome swimmers

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know a lot about those specific fish but have kept that size tank. That's on the heavy side for bioload. I wouldn't say "can't be done" but you will need good export (ie skimmer, refugium, ATS). Do you plan to keep corals? If fish only, not as much of a concern.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

You’re right, I would not mix a coral beauty and a flame in a tank this size. Pick one and your tank will be a lot happier. You should not house dwarf angels together (that aren’t an established, mated pair) in a tank under 120 gallons

By ‘sargassum fish’ are you meaning a sargassum angler? If so, they are known for eating anything and everything that fits in their mouth, more suited for a species only tank IMO.

Please make sure that the banggais you get are captive bred and an established pair. I don’t think they are able to change gender like clownfish and will fight if they are the same gender. Best to get a group of 3-5 and wait for two to pair off, rehome the rest.

I agree that a mandarin would be very happy in a tank this size, provided you dose pods to start out and run a fuge/have some rubble in the sump so they have a place to breed. Captive bred mandarins are always better if they’re available. If you decide to keep a pair, please please please make sure that you only have 1 male, two males (even if different species) may kill/seriously injure each other. You can keep a male and a female of the same/different species together though such as a male ruby red and a female target mandarin. It is very easy to tell the difference between male and female by looking at the dorsal fin.

I love longnose hawks, but beware that they prey on inverts (like shrimp and crabs) so please take their natural diet into consideration when choosing a CUC and ornamental inverts like sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs (dont do it)

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Coral Beauty and Flame in an 80 gallon, they get along quite well. Though, when I introduced them I also had a Multicolor which was the resident alpha. The three of them took a month or two to establish a pecking order, but nothing more aggressive than a quick chase -- I might have gotten lucky with mellower fish though. The multicolor mysteriously died a few months ago (I miss that fish), but honestly it seems that the CB and Flame are out and about more with just the two of them.

Just make sure you have plenty of hiding spaces in the tank. It might also help to get two angels of different sizes. My flame was a small juvenile when I introduced it, the other two largely just ignored it.

As for the Banggai's, make sure you have an established pair, otherwise, you'll end up with one Banggai at some point. Reefers used to put a small school of juveniles together to try to establish a pair, but even when that worked, all but two of the other cardinals were killed (or had to be removed).

And agreed, if you get Mandarins, Biotas are super hardy.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Srry i wouldnt know too much about stocking a tank this size, but i would deifnetly recommend a mandarinfish. Superrrr colourful and awesome swimmers
Yes, I think that too! I want to stock my tank as soon as possible, and you have to wait a few months for a mandarin, so when the time is right for a mandarin I will for sure add one!!!:)

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know a lot about those specific fish but have kept that size tank. That's on the heavy side for bioload. I wouldn't say "can't be done" but you will need good export (ie skimmer, refugium, ATS). Do you plan to keep corals? If fish only, not as much of a concern.
Yes, corals as well, but I wont be adding all these fish over the same time. I will continue to upgrade until I have the good enough equiptment for a large bioload!

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

You’re right, I would not mix a coral beauty and a flame in a tank this size. Pick one and your tank will be a lot happier. You should not house dwarf angels together (that aren’t an established, mated pair) in a tank under 120 gallons

By ‘sargassum fish’ are you meaning a sargassum angler? If so, they are known for eating anything and everything that fits in their mouth, more suited for a species only tank IMO.

Please make sure that the banggais you get are captive bred and an established pair. I don’t think they are able to change gender like clownfish and will fight if they are the same gender. Best to get a group of 3-5 and wait for two to pair off, rehome the rest.

I agree that a mandarin would be very happy in a tank this size, provided you dose pods to start out and run a fuge/have some rubble in the sump so they have a place to breed. Captive bred mandarins are always better if they’re available. If you decide to keep a pair, please please please make sure that you only have 1 male, two males (even if different species) may kill/seriously injure each other. You can keep a male and a female of the same/different species together though such as a male ruby red and a female target mandarin. It is very easy to tell the difference between male and female by looking at the dorsal fin.

I love longnose hawks, but beware that they prey on inverts (like shrimp and crabs) so please take their natural diet into consideration when choosing a CUC and ornamental inverts like sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs (dont do it)
Alright, thanks for the help! I love the look of longnoses, so that is something to for sure consider. I am only going to stick to one dwarf angel after consideration, as I don't want any of my fishies to live in fear! I thought you had to wait a little to add a mandarin, especially if you have two so you have a chance to increase live pod count, or does that matter if youre dosing live pods anyways?? Besidesn the advice youve given me, (thank you so much,) does everyone else look okay?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coral Beauty and Flame in an 80 gallon, they get along quite well. Though, when I introduced them I also had a Multicolor which was the resident alpha. The three of them took a month or two to establish a pecking order, but nothing more aggressive than a quick chase -- I might have gotten lucky with mellower fish though. The multicolor mysteriously died a few months ago (I miss that fish), but honestly it seems that the CB and Flame are out and about more with just the two of them.

Just make sure you have plenty of hiding spaces in the tank. It might also help to get two angels of different sizes. My flame was a small juvenile when I introduced it, the other two largely just ignored it.

As for the Banggai's, make sure you have an established pair, otherwise, you'll end up with one Banggai at some point. Reefers used to put a small school of juveniles together to try to establish a pair, but even when that worked, all but two of the other cardinals were killed (or had to be removed).

And agreed, if you get Mandarins, Biotas are super hardy.
Yes, I am surely ordering by mated banggais from live aquaria. Yes, I have read many horror stories about the dwarf angels killing each other in anything other than a 120, so I will just take the safe route.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks for the help! I love the look of longnoses, so that is something to for sure consider. I am only going to stick to one dwarf angel after consideration, as I don't want any of my fishies to live in fear! I thought you had to wait a little to add a mandarin, especially if you have two so you have a chance to increase live pod count, or does that matter if youre dosing live pods anyways?? Besidesn the advice youve given me, (thank you so much,) does everyone else look okay?
I would wait at least 6 months for the mandarin. Maybe 4 if you’re dosing pods constantly and you check on your population with a red flashlight at night. I worry because I know that wrasses also eat pods, but I’m not positive if the ones you’re considering are pod eaters. If you have a successful refugium, and you dose pods regularly I see no issue with you getting a mandarin :)

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait at least 6 months for the mandarin. Maybe 4 if you’re dosing pods constantly and you check on your population with a red flashlight at night. I worry because I know that wrasses also eat pods, but I’m not positive if the ones you’re considering are pod eaters. If you have a successful refugium, and you dose pods regularly I see no issue with you getting a mandarin :)
Me either! I will have to check on those wrasses, so thank you for reminding me!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back