Stocking 125gal questions

brandodand016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all ! Somewhat new to the hobby but have been doing research for a little while. Current tank is a 125gal with the following:

2x Snowflake Clowns
1x blue-green Chromis
1x Bengai Cardinal
1x Bicolor Blenny
1x Purple Firefish
1x Yellow Wrasse
1x Royal Gramma

I know I’m still low on load in the tank and all are pretty small. I want to add some size while also keeping a peaceful nature and reef safe as I plan to add corals and inverts down the road. I have a few options and am open to suggestions on stocking options for remainder of tank. See below for potential new tank mates:

1x blue throat trigger
1x purple tang
1x blue hippo tang
1x blonde naso tang
1x flame angel

Honestly I’d probably only do 3 of the ones listed above. Just not sure if it’s too much or if I’m underestimating the capabilities of a 125gal. All help and suggestions appreciated.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1x blue throat trigger
1x purple tang
1x blue hippo tang
1x blonde naso tang
1x flame angel

Honestly I’d probably only do 3 of the ones listed above. Just not sure if it’s too much or if I’m underestimating the capabilities of a 125gal. All help and suggestions appreciated.
3 of those would work. I would choose the trigger, purple tang, and the flame angel.

Any Naso will get too big for a 125. The hippo is debatable, but most specimens will outgrow a 125 too.

OP
OP
brandodand016

brandodand016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of those would work. I would choose the trigger, purple tang, and the flame angel.

Any Naso will get too big for a 125. The hippo is debatable, but most specimens will outgrow a 125 too.
I just researched didn’t realize how big the naso get. I knew I’d be pushing it with hippo but was debating on swapping out if it got huge down the road.

Triggers always scared be because I don’t want them munching on inverts but I heard blue throat are my best bet.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just researched didn’t realize how big the naso get. I knew I’d be pushing it with hippo but was debating on swapping out if it got huge down the road.

Triggers always scared be because I don’t want them munching on inverts but I heard blue throat are my best bet.
Yeah, Nasos get huge.

Triggers in the genus Xanthichthys (blue throat, crosshatch, Sargasssum) are plankton eaters in nature. It should be pretty safe. Small shrimp might not be the safest idea. I did keep a blue throat with skunk and fire cleaner shrimps.

OP
OP
brandodand016

brandodand016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Nasos get huge.

Triggers in the genus Xanthichthys (blue throat, crosshatch, Sargasssum) are plankton eaters in nature. It should be pretty safe. Small shrimp might not be the safest idea. I did keep a blue throat with skunk and fire cleaner shrimps.
Awesome thanks !! I’ll most likely end up getting that one then for sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back