75 gallon Build Thread

tealgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we ended up getting a 75 during our local reef fest, and are now in the process of putting it together, and eventually moving the fish/corals from the 40 gallon to it, but it will be a slow process. Still need to get lights, and build the sump, although picked up two new 40 gallon tanks and one is going to be made into the sump. We have a 125 predator, 40 coral/fish, and 14 bio cube tank already... but going to a 75 is going to be a bit different as we have not done anything this big for corals.

OP
OP
T

tealgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank & hood.

tank.jpg

OP
OP
T

tealgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I really like the color stand I'll follow along

It is a driftwood stand, its hard to show in a picture, but the detail in the stand is amazing. Red/gray/blue/brown all mixed perfect

It has been a slow slow build. My Rhodesian got in an accident (she knocked herself unconscious), so much of what we have been doing was put on hold.

OP
OP
T

tealgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sump built, and the new Orbit IC LED lights set to go. Still need to get T-5's as a supplement. Started selling some of our corals out of the 40 to start supplementing the cost of T-fs.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a great build, following along.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great setup. Beautiful stand!! Looking forward to this build. :)

OP
OP
T

tealgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly my pup died unexpectedly a few weeks ago, so the build got put on hold. Five year old rhodesian, that passed away while trying to run to me when we walked through the door :(

Today I started back up on everything. Purchased ATI Sunpower 48" 6/54w lights today, and as soon as they come in we will be moving the 40 gallon and placing the 75 there. We also have the orbit loop LED lights that will be used to bring out color. The sump is a 40 gallon (thank you petco $1 per gallon sale), and a kit purchased offline and is ready to go. Ill add pics of all of the pieces this week. Also will add more pics of everything else we got for it over the next week or two. As soon as the tank is moved we can start really getting the pieces put together and everything working.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the update

OP
OP
T

tealgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since the update and in that time we added the ATI 6 bulb, adjusted the rock build and allowed the tank to cycle for a few months. Slowly we have been moving some of the larger rocks with hard corals to the 75 (and killing off any mushrooms in the process, since we were having trouble with them taking over). I have 2 fire fish, a flasher wrasse, and had a small spotted hog fish in the tank. Out of all the fish the hog fish found the one tiny slip of section in the back he could jump out of and managed to become a dehydrated fish during one of our hot spells. Since then we put up fish netting, but it only would do something if they hit it hard enough to get dumped back in the tank instead of just straight down since there is no way to connect it to the bottom of the hood, without pulling out staples every time the hood needs to be removed, and the stand is just too pretty for that.

We changed the refugium light to one of the lights I use to grow veggies/fruits in the house during the winter months, and it has taken off. We were using a few other lights prior, but dealt with heat and minimal growth issue.

OP
OP
T

tealgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures to come on Monday. We just went to our clubs frag event and purchased some really nice new frags, so will have some decent new pictures to show then :D

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait:) and looking forward to Monday

OP
OP
T

tealgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up having the flesh off of 3 acros start to recede (only 3 colonies), after testing everything, treating for different things, and then finally seeing no other option, we cut them all (well except the one still on the rock), and fragged what we could. The frags are about 1/2 great and 1/2 not going to make it, but at least we have saved some of the acro and now I have tons of mini colonies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back