75 Gallon Fish Stocking List

Pixel3303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all I'm working on setting up my first reef tank in a while and as I'm starting to get things together I wanted to get an idea of what I can stock/ if my stocking list is appropriate or if there are some tweaks I should make. Currently, I'm looking at -

Pair of Clownfish
Radiant Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Naoko's Fairy Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Bartlett's Anthias Trio
Flame Fin Tomini Tang
Randall's Prawn Goby
Watanabei Angelfish (Female) ?

Been up in the air on what kinda angelfish I could have if any as I would ideally like to not be too worried about coral picking and based on my research the Watanabei could be a good fit, although I'm not sure about it being size compatible. Some other considerations were a multibar angelfish or singapore angelfish (again unsure about size on this one) and the chance of coral nipping although I know every individual fish is diffrent. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are starting from scratch and you havent had a reef tank in a while I would look to slim down this stocking list especially due to having coral. With 12 fish in a 75 gallon, thats quite a lot on the bioload especially with the anthias, tang, and angelfish. I would slim in down to around 5-8 for the first few months to make sure you are getting your nitrates at a stable number and to help you with mantanience and establishing a proper system.

The other thing is that angelfish would probably not be a good fit for your tang as it will quickly outgrow it. I would look into the flame angelfish or the coral beauty as they are known as dwarf angels and are often found in reef tanks without picking on corals.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the others - add in order of aggression (especially with wrasses), don't add your entire wish list at once so the tank can catch up, and be careful with angelfish. I don't know if I personally would put anything other than a dwarf angel in a 75 gallon. Consensus seems to be that flame angels or coral beauties may be the least likely to bother coral, but my lemonpeel (the most likely usually) never nipped... so it can go either way.

As far as the tomini tang goes, I have one and he is one of my favorite fish. BUT, I wish I hadn't added him when I did. Wasn't done stocking the tank (and still plan to add a few more smaller fish), and he went Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde on me when I added my melanurus wrasse - chased it all over for 3 days. :rolleyes: They get along now, but it stressed me out. He's a shy fish overall though and it could very well have something to do with the fact that he's almost full grown. My suggestion is try to get a small one (like 2-3") if you want to add the tang before additional peaceful fish. Tangs can be straight up buttheads, lol. I tape mirrors to the ends of my tank now anytime I add a new fish, to distract him.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back