75 gallon FOWLR tank

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first large marine tank. Had many smaller through the years, mostly tidepool tanks from collecting living in hawaii. Had a few bumps in the road, but im proud of this tank. I enjoy it, and its a big stress relief at the end of our bed. Friends in the tank:
1 neon dottyback
1 yellow tang
1 pair of clowns
1 hawaiian spotted toby puffer
1 blue spot goby
1 scooter blenny
1 hawaii native tidepool blenny
1 banggai cardinal fish
1 pajama cardinal fish
3 hermits
20201121_212008.jpg
20201121_212008.jpg
20201121_211632.jpg
20201121_211550.jpg
20201121_211940.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man I miss Hawaii, lived there 2 times. the 2nd time on Maui rescued a 55 would do NSW for WC.
I had a permit form the DLR to collect fish but never did loved the tide pools tho.

if you still can get to the back of the tank i would suggest adding the film to the back unless its set up to be viewed from both sides. will make the fish and aqua scape POP more.
also go to the tide pool and scrape off some coraline algae or grab a few little rocks and brush it off in the tank before you know it you will have lots of different colors of beautiful coraline.

good luck and happy reefing!

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man I miss Hawaii, lived there 2 times. the 2nd time on Maui rescued a 55 would do NSW for WC.
I had a permit form the DLR to collect fish but never did loved the tide pools tho.

if you still can get to the back of the tank i would suggest adding the film to the back unless its set up to be viewed from both sides. will make the fish and aqua scape POP more.
also go to the tide pool and scrape off some coraline algae or grab a few little rocks and brush it off in the tank before you know it you will have lots of different colors of beautiful coraline.

good luck and happy reefing!

Yeah its great here, just high living costs. I am born and raised here. I bought a background but my idiot self put the tank too far back on the wall to get it on. I'm off work rn because of covid so maybe I can figure it out. I'd definitely like it more with the background. Most of the rock and coral in the tank is from the beach outside my house, but it was dry rock for months before I got the tank. I started cycling it and the process of getting it to be live rock about 6 months ago. Surprisingly to me I have had good Coraline growth already on one or two pieces, but my tang ate it all . So ill definitely try that to get the growth up and going again. Thanks for the advice.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its great here, just high living costs. I am born and raised here. I bought a background but my idiot self put the tank too far back on the wall to get it on. I'm off work rn because of covid so maybe I can figure it out. I'd definitely like it more with the background. Most of the rock and coral in the tank is from the beach outside my house, but it was dry rock for months before I got the tank. I started cycling it and the process of getting it to be live rock about 6 months ago. Surprisingly to me I have had good Coraline growth already on one or two pieces, but my tang ate it all . So ill definitely try that to get the growth up and going again. Thanks for the advice.

it would be really easy for you to ad the back ground just drain the tank into totes move it out apply background and refill with water thik if it a large water change. are you collecting natural saltwater (NSW) for the water changes?

yeah I agree on high living cost. I always find myslelf living in places that are the same...I guess I have good taste...ha

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be really easy for you to ad the back ground just drain the tank into totes move it out apply background and refill with water thik if it a large water change. are you collecting natural saltwater (NSW) for the water changes?

yeah I agree on high living cost. I always find myslelf living in places that are the same...I guess I have good taste...ha

Ah ill do that definitely. Not currently, I mix my own saltwater currently. I read somewhere that you could be bringing in parasites or bacteria, stuff that can hurt the fish. Have you ever had issues with that?

Definitely good taste lol

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ill do that definitely. Not currently, I mix my own saltwater currently. I read somewhere that you could be bringing in parasites or bacteria, stuff that can hurt the fish. Have you ever had issues with that?

Definitely good taste lol

well there are 2 schools of thought:
1 QT everything, medicate, use chemicals
the other is more natural approach where you want Bactria use real LR, LS and if you can NSW feed the fish live food with good bac, in it.
i suggest reading some threads from paulB he has one of the longest running reefing on R2R 48+ years old and collects NSW in new York state... so I think you woul dbe ok in Hawaii. just dont collect it where all the tourist are with there sunscreen.

IDk I fall more on the naturalist side of reefing if I could get NSW I would use it hands down. of course I would take care where I was collecting it.

here in the mountains I mix my own ASW will feed live food dose good bac. use natural filtration ( ATS) but will also use UV and things like viberent or nopox if needed.

i guess each of use has to find that reefing sweet spot.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well there are 2 schools of thought:
1 QT everything, medicate, use chemicals
the other is more natural approach where you want Bactria use real LR, LS and if you can NSW feed the fish live food with good bac, in it.
i suggest reading some threads from paulB he has one of the longest running reefing on R2R 48+ years old and collects NSW in new York state... so I think you woul dbe ok in Hawaii. just dont collect it where all the tourist are with there sunscreen.

IDk I fall more on the naturalist side of reefing if I could get NSW I would use it hands down. of course I would take care where I was collecting it.

here in the mountains I mix my own ASW will feed live food dose good bac. use natural filtration ( ATS) but will also use UV and things like viberent or nopox if needed.

i guess each of use has to find that reefing sweet spot.

I'll definitely read into it more, I constantly dose beneficial bacteria cause my tank is on the newer side. I used live sand collected from the beach. One good thing is practically no one goes to the beach outside my house cause its a surf beach, you can't swim out there cause its all reef. So I dont see a big problem collecting water out there, but I definitely wouldn't want to cause risk to them.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back