75 Gallon Reef Build with DIY Stand and Canopy

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

My last reef tank was torn down in 2011 when I moved to AZ. Due to Covid-19, I decided to setup up a new reef tank. However, it is going to be a slow build because I am going to be building my own stand and canopy. I currently have completed most of the stand. I just need to sand and paint it. Attached is a photo of the current stand. The temps here have been too hot to paint so it may be several weeks before I can paint it. I am hoping to get water in it by the end of the year so I have plenty of time.

IMG_20200705_110740.jpg

I also have made some DIY rock made with cement, sand, and gravel. I currently have it sitting in water hoping to bring down the pH.

I am planning on buying a 29 gallon tank to use as a sump. I will have the first section be chaeto. I will then have a spare section that will be for a skimmer if I need it, and the final section will be the return pump.

I am planning on running the following equipment:
Lighting - Current Orbit Marine IC (I like it due to the low profile, I will have a canopy and don't want a high canopy)
Return Pump - Current eFlux 1900 GPM
Power Heads - Two eFlue 1050 GPMs

For coral, I plan on mainly zoos, LPS, and some softies.

I think for fish, I will have the following:

two clownfish
three firefish
tamni tang
Two wrasses
and probably a pygmy angelfish

I was going to purchase a corner flow Marineland 75 gallon, but none of the LFS carry one so I think I will purchase a rimmed 75 gallon tank and drill it for an internal overflow. I am a little nervous to drill a new tank, but I am sure it will be fine.

Thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.

IMG_20200705_110740.jpg

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Aqueon tank last weekend. Filling the tank with water now to be sure there are no leaks before I drill the tank this weekend!

IMG_20200721_185956.jpg
Curious, did you check with Aqueon to make sure it is non-tempered glass? They told me that most of their tanks now are tempered. I like your stand.

Last edited:

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to purchase a corner flow Marineland 75 gallon, but none of the LFS carry one so I think I will purchase a rimmed 75 gallon tank and drill it for an internal overflow. I am a little nervous to drill a new tank, but I am sure it will be fine.

When you say internal overflow, exactly what are you planning on installing? An overflow like the Marineland you wanted had, corner overflow, or are you planning to use something like the glass holes, e shops, modular marine low profile , " ghost overflow" ? If you're planning on the corner overflow, you definitely won't be able to drill the bottom of your aqueon tank, its definitely tempered glass on the bottom. Also, you need to check, then double check the other panes of glass before you try to drill them and make sure they aren't tempered as well.

OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, did you check with Aqueon to make sure it is non-tempered glass? They told me that most of their tanks now are tempered. I like your stand.
I did the laptop/polarized sunglass test. I am not 100% sure, but I think it is not tempered. I will find out this weekend.

OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say internal overflow, exactly what are you planning on installing? An overflow like the Marineland you wanted had, corner overflow, or are you planning to use something like the glass holes, e shops, modular marine low profile , " ghost overflow" ? If you're planning on the corner overflow, you definitely won't be able to drill the bottom of your aqueon tank, its definitely tempered glass on the bottom. Also, you need to check, then double check the other panes of glass before you try to drill them and make sure they aren't tempered as well.
Eshopps eclipse. I have it. It seems like a great overflow.

Last edited:

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching!
I dig the DIY stand and your patient approach on this. I’m working in my first build, also a 75g, and I reckon a returning reefer such as yourself could learn me a thing or two. Keep posting updates.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the laptop/polarized sunglass test. I am not 100% sure, but I think it is not tempered. I will find out this weekend.
How are you going to find out? I took an Aqeuon 40 gal to a local glass shop and they had nothing to check it out. I returned it to Petco.

OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching!
I dig the DIY stand and your patient approach on this. I’m working in my first build, also a 75g, and I reckon a returning reefer such as yourself could learn me a thing or two. Keep posting updates.
Thanks. I am getting antsy to get the system set up, but it is coming along. I just hope I don't end up with a tank full of algae.

OP
OP
G

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to find out? I took an Aqeuon 40 gal to a local glass shop and they had nothing to check it out. I returned it to Petco.
I will find out when I drill it. I am 95% sure it is not tempered. I am nervous to drill it though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back