75 gallon reef tank

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Noooooo!
that in the new tank?
No. I figured out where it came from... Thinking back I remember I got a single Monti from a Reef Chasers live sale. It was gone in a week and the one next to it went quickly after. I checked and never could see anything on either of them. Slowly though, from that point on I started losing montis a little at a time. What's weird is when I removed the magnet my Spongodes, Setosa, and Digitata started recovering. My monti caps were pretty much gone already. I pulled out 1 very large one, 1 medium sized one, and two tiny ones. Everything else is dead so I tossed it without too much glances or looked clean. The Birdsnest and Stylophora had to have been from the magnet leaching. They're goners for sure.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm considering going back for the Yellow Coris after this. Couldn't hurt to have two Wrasses just in case, right? Both supposedly will eat nudibranches so having both makes my chances of getting at least one that enjoys them just doubled?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm considering going back for the Yellow Coris after this. Couldn't hurt to have two Wrasses just in case, right? Both supposedly will eat nudibranches so having both makes my chances of getting at least one that enjoys them just doubled?
I'm the wrong guy to ask about fish... my answer is always going to be:
do it jewish GIF

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm the wrong guy to ask about fish... my answer is always going to be:
do it jewish GIF
Well, I told my wife I'm going to skip the McCosker's for now and get that Yellow Coris. We're headed to Cabela's to buy a new set of binos and then we're halfway to the Petco with the Coris or less than a mile from the McCosker's.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I told my wife I'm going to skip the McCosker's for now and get that Yellow Coris. We're headed to Cabela's to buy a new set of binos and then we're halfway to the Petco with the Coris or less than a mile from the McCosker's.
So likely one or the other will get got today?
I just saw a yellow mimic tang at my Petco. Tanks too small even if he looked healthy.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So likely one or the other will get got today?
I just saw a yellow mimic tang at my Petco. Tanks too small even if he looked healthy.
I almost bought one a couple of weeks ago. If I go for the Coris I may talk my wife into the Lavender Tang they had yesterday... $60.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
80 for the yellow mimic.
My Petco had one for $40 back before I left for my conferences. I wish I had bought it. Mama said no on the Lavender and the Yellow Wrasse was losing weight. I wasn't excited so I had to pass on him.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Petco had one for $40 back before I left for my conferences. I wish I had bought it. Mama said no on the Lavender and the Yellow Wrasse was losing weight. I wasn't excited so I had to pass on him.
From what I see at the LFS, I have never seen a healthy tang at petco, and they cost about the same at the LFS.

Probably not a bad idea to pass on the wrasse losing weight, but on the other hand, you are likely more attentive to its needs than the staff there.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man! This Tomini is a machine I think. After removing the magnet that was killing my tank pretty much all algae is gone. The tang was super fat. I'm going to have to start adding more supplemental algae I think. He's not skinny, but he has slimmed down some. There is still algae on the rocks, just not hair or turf or bryopsis.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, the trap and transfer has commenced. I made a bottle trap from a water bottle. Going to try for the Hector's Goby, Warpaint Clown Goby, and Cardinalfish first. The tang and Chromis are ok to stay in the 75 for a bit. I'd like to add a new tang to the 125 before transferring the Tomini.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the trap and transfer has commenced. I made a bottle trap from a water bottle. Going to try for the Hector's Goby, Warpaint Clown Goby, and Cardinalfish first. The tang and Chromis are ok to stay in the 75 for a bit. I'd like to add a new tang to the 125 before transferring the Tomini.
The moment is finally here, exciting!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No fish dumb enough to enter the trap yet. Still waiting.

The next batch of Nudis must have hatched - it looks like my Bubble Gum Digitata is getting slowly consumed. I have a frag I saved in the 125 but that was a nice little colony starting in the 75. Probably 3" by 2" encrusted on the rock, a center branch about 4" tall and six or seven small sticks starting in different places along the chunk.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I made a clear plastic bottle trap in the hopes of getting the 6-line but only a cardinalfish stupid enough to enter so far.
I'm trying for my three Cardinals.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it followed a food cube in.
I've been using pellets. Usually everything in my tank attacks the pellets. Didn't think to use frozen. I might need to try that.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back