75 gallon reef tank

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I understand, at higher pH if the alkalinity is low calcium cannot be utilized. I have dosed calcium to bring it up but failed to bring the alkalinity up with it.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My pool pH is 9.3... we have to dose muriatic acid tomorrow.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would verify the pH, Ca, and Alk before making any changes.

I assumed you are using rodi for your tank.
I'm not. My new tank will be though. I already told my wife it's a requirement.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not. My new tank will be though. I already told my wife it's a requirement.
I do not see why you couldn't buffer up your alk with additional additions of baking soda over the next week and then try to stay on top of it from there. It should not impact your pH if you go slow enough. I would shoot for 8dkh and see how things settle out.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My alk keeps bottoming out... I've lost 2 montis and a couple of my caps are looking like trash. I'm not using hardly any calcium or magnesium though....
I would start looking into dosing something like "all for reef". It doesn't have to be that one. You can pick any alk trace element blend you like. Alk depletes a lot faster than calcium. I don't know how to explain it to you. But here is my tank

Alk consumption 1.5 dkh
Calcium 2-3
Mag unknown
This is per day. I guess on the calcium. Due to weekly testing. Whatever 20/7 is. Calcium and mag is used at a much slower rate.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alk is the first fight of stabilizing a reef. Once you get that dialed in. You'll feel blessed. Everything is so much easier to handle. Reason I say a trace element is to help keep the coral colors. You will lose them.

I used to use a 1 gallon jug with kalk and ran it like an iv into the tank. It was 1 to 3 drops per second. I forget. You don't have to do that, but you can figure out how much water is evaporated in your system per day.

I am sure you said it somewhere. How big is your ATO?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Alk is the first fight of stabilizing a reef. Once you get that dialed in. You'll feel blessed. Everything is so much easier to handle. Reason I say a trace element is to help keep the coral colors. You will lose them.

I used to use a 1 gallon jug with kalk and ran it like an iv into the tank. It was 1 to 3 drops per second. I forget. You don't have to do that, but you can figure out how much water is evaporated in your system per day.

I am sure you said it somewhere. How big is your ATO?
5 gallons. Lasts about 3 days - 2 with the current humidity. The 125 is probably going to be double that.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would add the baking soda to the ato. This is going to help you in the long run.
he did, said it clogged. Why baking soda and not kalkwasser / pickling lime?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
he did, said it clogged. Why baking soda and not kalkwasser / pickling lime?
It what he chose to use.

Not sure why it clogged if mixed well. That is a bit odd. Kalk would surely cause a clog in an ato. I believe people use a slow mixer to keep it from precipitating.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm dosing the recommended dose to bring it up 1 dkh a day - 2 tsp. It's pretty well bottomed out though and I tried adding it to my ATO and it plugged the valve. I just have to be more consistent in adding it every day I think.
Somehow I misread this post. I should have finished my coffee.

Using tap water? No, I am not going to shun you.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, something I did back when I lived in las cruces, I only used de-chlorinated water.

The vinegar should lower ph. Don't worry!! It does not hurt alk levels. Vinegar dosing is another way of feeding filter feeders and coral.

Even randy doesn't speak against vinegar dosing. This could help you

Please, when you get time. Read the thread and article.

1651928666233.png

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay, something I did back when I lived in las cruces, I only used de-chlorinated water.

The vinegar should lower ph. Don't worry!! It does not hurt alk levels. Vinegar dosing is another way of feeding filter feeders and coral.

Even randy doesn't speak against vinegar dosing. This could help you

Please, when you get time. Read the thread and article.

1651928666233.png
I'll definitely read it. The 125 is going to have an RO. I've already told my wife and she agreed.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are you taking the 75 down though? If not, this can still benefit.
In 5-6 months. It's going to be a slow transfer over before breaking it down. No livesale purchases until September at the earliest.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ugh. So I didn't post this yet. I came back from Missouri and EVERY monti in my 75 is either bleaching or STNing. Most of them are probably goners. The weird thing is my Duncan, Gonis, Mushrooms, and Red Brick Cyphastrea are all SUPER happy looking.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh. So I didn't post this yet. I came back from Missouri and EVERY monti in my 75 is either bleaching or STNing. Most of them are probably goners. The weird thing is my Duncan, Gonis, Mushrooms, and Red Brick Cyphastrea are all SUPER happy looking.
Nitrates? Waterflow?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%

Back