75 gallon reef tank

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Theoretically if you alk is dropping your magnesium and calcium have to be dropping too.
Well it's odd because it's my bicarbonate that's being used up. My alk is dropping, Calcium and Magnesium are good, pH is high, and bicarbonate hardness is low.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well it's odd because it's my bicarbonate that's being used up. My alk is dropping, Calcium and Magnesium are good, pH is high, and bicarbonate hardness is low.
I lose 1 yo 1.5 dkh per day. Weekly calcium was 50 mag 100. About not exact. Now its worse. I would have to stop dosing to see.

anyhow, that's just how things go. Alk is a big component used in skeletal construction. Of course you need the rest. Calcium and magnesium loss just isn't as noticiable.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely have to add magnesium to my tank because my water changes replenish it, but I dose alk and cal at close to the same amounts.
The important thing is to make sure your parameters stay where you want them, but I would start to question my tests if I was dosing alk and cal at very different amounts amount.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lose 1 yo 1.5 dkh per day. Weekly calcium was 50 mag 100. About not exact. Now its worse. I would have to stop dosing to see.

anyhow, that's just how things go. Alk is a big component used in skeletal construction. Of course you need the rest. Calcium and magnesium loss just isn't as noticiable.
They get depleted at a specific ratio, which is why a one part additive like All For Reef or effluent from a reactor work. It replaces them at the correct ratio that they get depleted.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They get depleted at a specific ratio, which is why a one part additive like All For Reef or effluent from a reactor work. It replaces them at the correct ratio that they get depleted.
Yuh, I was trying to explain that. Some super nerds figured out a formula and made all for reef. Instead of these 3 part systems. Eventually they gave us the powder.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was currently using Seachems 3 part system. Monthly water changes and seachems reef complete, my gonis started to fade in March. I've been fighting to get them back. Switched over to afr and they are returning. I have had my green for almost 2 years. I am not about to say goodbye.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hammer and Goni/Alve/Bernard still looking happy. I've got two mushroom shaped stains and an empty torch skeleton in the QT. All 3 are completely gone. Monti and Stylo are happy. Algae Blenny comes out but hides anytime I come near the tank. Typical Blenny, I know. It's funny though, because my Green Clown Goby actually likes to come see me. He'll almost let me pet him.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, the good news (bad news?) Is that everything green died... The second hammer just disappeared into itself - no sign of BJD. Both mushrooms, the torch, and the first hammer didn't last through two days.

The Goni/Bernard is opening up and starting to stretch it's legs. The Firefly is a weird brownish purple with bright green polyps - little polyps though.

IMG_20220518_185324643.jpg
IMG_20220518_185420217~2.jpg

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hopefully get your money back on the dead guys :(
I only contacted him about the Splatter. I spent $35 total for everything including the blenny. He issued me a store credit for $35 for the Splatter Hammer. I'm thinking I'll probably use it on pods, Reef Candy, or Phyto. He's got other stuff too... Haven't decided yet. Might not use it. Definitely won't be using it on corals.
ic0niclisa-throwing.gif

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd feel bad getting more credit than what I actually paid especially since I have more than $35 worth still doing good.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In my opinion, the Goni or Electric Daisy are worth it to me so that means the monti and Blenny are both bonus and both the Goni and Stylo are basically half off?
giphy (53).gif

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I understand. The bjd torch was placed in qt with everyone else, right?
At first it was, but as soon as it started showing signs I removed the healthy corals immediately.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everything healthy got a Reef Primer dip and then a H2O2 dip. The hammer was even happy for a couple of days. Two days later it was retracted and then it just slowly drew into itself until it disappeared last night. I don't see any color or flesh in the skeleton but I guess there's always hope. Just not hopeful at this point.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everything healthy got a Reef Primer dip and then a H2O2 dip. The hammer was even happy for a couple of days. Two days later it was retracted and then it just slowly drew into itself until it disappeared last night. I don't see any color or flesh in the skeleton but I guess there's always hope. Just not hopeful at this point.
Usually dead if no tissue. But, you dont want to leave so it can continue to spread infection if it has one. Give it a smell test. See what you think.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Usually dead if no tissue. But, you dont want to leave so it can continue to spread infection if it has one. Give it a smell test. See what you think.
Yeah. The torch smelled like the ocean, the first hammer smelled like death. I need to smell this one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back