75 gallon reef tank

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_20220513_103820887.jpg

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hard to tell in the picture but the hammer that survived (supposedly a branching green) is a second Splatter Hammer, just not as much blue. It's a wall hammer most likely, not branching.
IMG_20220513_104338794~2.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think @Gtinnel ? Goni? Definitely wouldn't classify it as Mint Green.
I don’t know from the pictures but I usually just go by the number of tentacles, which you already know about, and it looks like more than 12 to me. It definitely doesn’t look like the same coral that the picture from reef chasers shows.

If the polyps never really extend and it encrusts then it could also be a bernardpora, but I don’t know that much about them yet.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t know from the pictures but I usually just go by the number of tentacles, which you already know about, and it looks like more than 12 to me. It definitely doesn’t look like the same coral that the picture from reef chasers shows.

If the polyps never really extend and it encrusts then it could also be a bernardpora, but I don’t know that much about them yet.
Based on this, I'm going with Bernardpora. It has definite pointy tips on the ends of the petals (which was my first clue it wasn't an alve), it looks more encrusting (as @Gtinnel pointed out), and it only comes out about 1/8" or less like a Cyphastrea almost.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about bernardpora, honestly it has only been recently that I’ve even heard of them, but from what I have read they can be aggressive growers and take over similar to gsp. From the pictures I’ve seen of them, describing them as cyphastrea like seems accurate.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I'm counting 22 lashes in the polyps I can count on so definitely not an Alveopora!

Thanks @Gtinnel and @Mibu !
Give it time to open, the polyps looks bigger than the bernardpora. There are several ranges in length. Macro, short, medium and long stem. Go figure aye?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm doing aminos and phyto. All for Reef is Calc, Mag, Alk, and trace, right? My Calcium and Magnesium rarely drop but my Alkalinity drops like crazy.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm doing aminos and phyto. All for Reef is Calc, Mag, Alk, and trace, right? My Calcium and Magnesium rarely drop but my Alkalinity drops like crazy.
I did aminos, did nothing. All for reef has the manganese gonis like. It is an all in one, cal, mag, alk, trace elements.

Edit: alk depletes quickly in our reef tanks. There is a formula, I just don't know it well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back